Atheists--would you date someone who's religious?

just curious.

and religious people, would you date someone who's atheist? or is it against your beliefs?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah as long as she wasn't too into it and wouldn't preach to me about it

But I'd prefer atheist because then I'd know that we think abouth things in the same way

What Guys Said 21

• I respect others beliefs so yes, just as long as they respected my beliefs as well. I have to say though, it seems unlikely. Not because I would immediately write off someone for their beliefs. But because many religions have in their beliefs the task of preaching it to others, or so it seems. I'm not a fan of being preached to, and don't think it would last if my significant other was always trying to "save my soul" per say. The good thing is though, there are many, what I like to call "half assed" religious people lol. So, one of those wouldn't be so bad.

• It depends how much she's into her religion. If she's a progressive girl who's religious but not too serious about it and she can respect me being an atheist, I can probably live with that. If she's a total hard-line fundamentalist kind of person we'll never get along.

• It didn't last.

Now, I'm not an atheist; I'm an agnostic.

A "small a" agnostic in which I state that I cannot ascertain the existence of any deity.

That is slightly different from the "Large A" Agnostic which states emphatically that is is not possible to know whether or not deity exists.

I do not make an absolute claim, only a personal one.

Many years ago I met a lovely girl, and very christian. Well I was kind of getting hot for her and tried to figure out how to do it. She put so much emphasis on religion that I tried to go along with it. I tried going over bible passages with her (online because she reads in braille) and I even tried attending church services with her. But I couldn't keep up the masquerade forever and things fell apart. I believe after all these years she's still single. I located her on Facebook but she didn't acknowledge my friend request.

That was the first last and only time I tried that. Now I still maintain my agnostic status. However, there was one very cute but one very HIV+ man that I knew. I would have loved to have him as a boyfriend but he wasn't my type. He had spiritual aspects as well although I think they were more Hindu.

The woman I did marry, neither of us give a damn about the whole thing.

• to make it simple, I was raised catholic but really just don't believe in a higher power. so I don't have any deep seeded hatred for organized religion or anything. I would date someone who is religious because I believe religion can bond people, help in times of need, and help people examine how they can treat others better. however, I also feel that I couldn't date someone who was so religious that they constantly believed a higher power will fix all their problems and the worlds problems, because I feel that belief allows a person to not take control of their life.

• yeah, I know. some religious people think God will solve all their problems and often blame him when things go wrong. is as if they don't want to take responsibility of their actions.

• I could not date a religious person. Our values would be fundamentally opposed. And quite frankly, I'd end up getting pissed off with her for her irrationality (and likely ignorance, too) every time we talked over something of consequence.

• Date? Maybe depending on how outspoken they are.

However, I wouldn't go into a long-term relationship with one. It would cause WAY too much problems when children enter the picture.

• To me, it's not about *if* they're religious or *if* they believe in a deity; it's about the rationale behind those conclusions. Too many people start off with an answer and rationalize the reasoning to suit their biases (not just religious people or atheists. A fair percentage of people are guilty of this.)

In essence, if they're smart and rational about it, then it's a non-issue, and could even be interesting. But like anything else, if a person is an idiot about it, then that doesn't exactly score points in their favor.

• No, probably not.

• I am catholic and would not honestly like to get involved in a long term relationship who was an atheist. Lets be honest, its not gonna work

• Ideally, I say I would as long she wouldn't shove it down my throat. There was one girl who was perfect for me, but she turned me down BECAUSE I am Atheist. So...yeah. It goes both ways.

But based on my experiences with religious folk here, they usually tend to be most of the following:

-Irrational when asked about their beliefs

-Socially conservative on all fronts, including politically.

-Fans of crappy music, such as Top 40 and Glee crap.

• I don't see what being religious have to do with being a fan of crappy music? I mean, the music depends on the person. right?

• It's just correlation, not causation. Music is what I care about the most (far more than religion) in a match, and I refuse to date anyone whose favorite bands consist of autotuned crapola or mediocre generica.

• I would but I feel like she would have a problem with me not believing as she does. I respect all belief I just don't believe in it. That doesn't mean I hate religious people or think they are crazy for believing in a God(s). Most of us are Atheists to some degree most religious people would call the Greek gods or Norse gods false I just take it one God further. Again I respect all forms of religious belief I just don't understand it.

• Yes I would as long as they respected my beliefs as well

• It depends for me. I don't mind being with a religious girl.

But I can't be with a girl if she's going to constantly talk about

religion and try pushing it on me. Id rather be with a atheist though.

• I'm sure they would. Especially since atheists can be religious. :/

• they can?

• Atheism in and of itself has a world view now? News to me. Nah, I meant Judaism, but I wasn't sure about it is all.

• No, an atheist doesn't necessarily have a worldview.

However, Satanists and Buddhists do, which was my point.

• Nope.

• Yeah I'd date an atheist.

• I can't picture being with a girl who worships an imaginary being.

• Nope. Religious people tend to be politically conservative.

• It would be bad idea, as it sooner or later would lead to immitent clash.

• not sure what I am ...and yes I would...

• I would not date an atheist I want someone who does not think I am crazy for believing in God.

• makes sense.

• hmm not all atheists would think you are crazy for believing in a God(s).. we just don't believe as you do.. the ones who are disrespectful about it are jerks anyway.

• You are right I guess

What Girls Said 14

• Nope.

• I used to date a religious guy. It was never a problem because he mostly kept it to himself and he wasn't on my case for not believing. I don't think I could date someone that's overenthusiastic about their religion though. Not that they'd even consider me in the first place.

• I respect their right to be religious,but I would prefer to date a fellow atheist.

• I've dated religious people, but now that I'm with a fellow atheist, I see that it's much easier when you're compatible in the religion department. I could probably again date someone who believed in a higher power, but they'd have to be an open-minded, tolerant person. It really depends on their other views and lifestyle.

• I strongly believe in God and don't think I could date someone that didn't have the same values as me.

• doubt it,i mean I have nothing against the idea of dating someone who is religious,but it just doesn't work,too much difference between lifestyles

• Depends on the religion, I'd say.

• I would as long as it wasn't going to be anything serious. ~ Which kind of sucks because I'm an atheist and they are like NO other Atheists my age ^^;

• Depends on how religious.

I think it'd be interesting to see whether religious people would date atheists or not.

• Probably.

• no.

• yeah, as long as they respected my beliefs

• yeah, if I love em sure.

• I would as long as he doesn't push his beliefs on me all the time and try to change who I am