Why do so many girls wear micro and mini skirts during the summer? Is it for attention or is it just that hot?

I notice an increasingly number of girls walking around in extremely short dresses and skirts during the summer. has this been set as a new or sexy trend? is it easier to tease guys when they are wearing less? why do you girls do this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I would think that it makes perfect sense to wear short skirts with bare legs during the summer, when it's scorching outside, rather than in the winter when a girl will freeze her legs off. I don't think this is anything new. Girls have been wearing short skirts and dresses for a long time.

Part of it is fashion. A lot of girls wear things that the fashion world says are hot right now. If that's tiny little skirts, then they'll wear tiny little skirts, and these girls generally have no real personal style of their own outside of what's new and hot. Other girls like what they like regardless of what the fashion world says, but that doesn't mean they won't pick and choose from those trends, wearing what they like and discarding the rest. Still other girls wear things like that to attract attention. And I'm sure there are girls who fit in between or are a combination of these things.

Point is, not everything girls wear is an attempt to turn a guy on. Think about all the trends girls buy into, and all the things they wear that you think are stupid and unattractive, you wonder WHY the hell a girl would wear something like that. Those are girls who pay attention to popular fashion. I rarely think about guys at all when I decide what to wear, unless it's 'ooh, my boyfriend will probably dig this'. In which case I'm choosing amongst clothing items that I already own, that I bought because *I* like them. And they conveniently do the double duty of making me feel good, and making some sweat bead on my dude's brow. =P I couldn't really care less about what other guys are thinking, they can look or not look, but their opinions aren't the ones I care about, so they're irrelevant to me.

What Girls Said 14

• Maybe it's a feminine thing? I wear short shorts and short skirts and short dresses (not micro mini or to that extreme) but its not especially to get attention. I think its about feeling girlie to wear a short skirt. How we feel is how we act so wearing something that we ourselves consider 'sexy' even if it seems like too much to someone else, usually gives us confidence. Just the same way around, if it were jeans that every guy thought looked wonderful and we don't like them, our confidence would probably still be a little low. Its really about personal perception of self. And also some guys do really like short skirts. What girls need to realize is if they get to the point of micro mini and showing TOO much guys might look but they don't respect you.

I also agree with the sephora because that is basically how everything is sold these days unless you find a good store with decent clothes. So that is definitely playing a role too.

• yeah its true, many girls so feel more feminine in a skirt. I guess it does increase confidence for them lol. the girls I know are really fun to be around. as friends well except for the one I like alot. that's more on a higher level than the rest lol

• They do it to show off, at least80% ofthem anyway. If its that hot out wearing a lightweight dress would keep you much cooler than heavy denim butt shorts.

• I feel more feminine in a skirt, first of all. Also, especilly if you wear a thong, the breeze factor can be amazing. It's a lot cooler to wear a skirt or dress because it isn't really tight on your legs and there is the possibility of a breeze... lol

• what I've seen lately is girls in reaally short shorts that their bare butts are hanging out lol.

and also a few weeks ago when I was looking to buy a pair of shorts, I've noticed they have made them way shorter lol. so that's probably why you are seeing many girls with short dresses/skirts since that is the way they are made now.

• Whats disturbing is pretty soon they'll even market such clothes to kids, pre-teen and young teens. Well to teens they probably already do.

• yeah that is a good explanation =) I guess its a pop culture influence as well.

• I saw a little girl who was about maybe mmm...5..or so..wearing this really short skirt..I was amazed at how the parents could buy such a thing...

• I'd say both, really. Personally I'd never wear 'em. I just stick on a pair of shorts if it's unbearably hot out.

• Ever thought that, given the hot weather, they wanna wear lighter clothes?

Gosh. Not everything has to be about you guys.

• Well it's the same thing as wearing short shorts which is basically a girl's outfit everyday of the summer

• 1)It's hot as hell. I'm in Tx and it's ridiculously hot

2)They DO want attention. Sorry, but when your ass is hanging outta your clothes, it's not *just* cause it's hot, it's also because they want attention(and they get it)

• Because you don't get to wear it in the winter. :)

In NYC, it's pretty much only warm from late May to early September...the other times, you have to wear leggings under your minis or shorts. Which I totally hate, makes me feel so chunky.

• it's because it gets really hot. skirts and dresses are so nice because you can just breathe down there if ya know what I mean lol plus there are a lot of really cute ones. I don't do it for attention. to be honest, I'm tired of guys staring at me

• Why not shorts then...?

• I wear shorts too. why are you acting like you expect me to know why every single female on this planet wears what she wears? lol

• it's hot out.

• it's hot and it's cute and you feel pretty. why, is there a problem? if guys are looking? so

• It's hot outside + it looks good and feminine + some girls like to show off their bodies >> It's all that.

• I would wear a flowy skirt, sort of like this one: link

It's not for attention, it is because it's super mega hot and moist outside and I would rather not sweat in my shorts and pants/jeans.

• yeah that skirt is pretty good. it still a nice length cut, the thing is I know many girls at my church who wear their skirts down to their knee. I kinda think that is going a bit too far towards extreme modesty lol

• I think it depends where you are..she may wear it at a bar/club for attention..but she might wear something longer at church or something along those lines..all about location!

What Guys Said 6

• Fashion, wants to look/feel hot and sexy, its hot (weather), beat down rival girls/bitches by capturing more attention, her mood, capture the attention of a guy/girl she likes, toy with a guy, for her partner.

Any single or combination of these or w/e I missed.

• Both. They can use the heat as a reason to wear them and seek attention. And yeah, clearly I do think a lot of it is for attention. There is absolutely no way women are so naive that they think guys aren't looking and doing so often.

• It's clearly for attention.

• Short is in...

• dont tell me you have a problem with that :D cause I dont.

• i don't have a problem, just that the girl I like dresses extremely modestly. I can't get any idea if she is going to be fun to have around in a more serious relationship etc.

• girls wear shot skits in the summer because in some parts of the county it can be hot as hell and the same gos for the short they wear and it make them look real good as well and guy don,t mind seeing them in shorts or ever short skits and ill be you jive them more attention win there walking by ha ha ha