First date hand holding or kiss?

Okay. You're meeting for the first time (let's say I met you on an on-line dating service). Should we shake hands, peck your cheek, do nothing, all-of-the-above, none-of the-above on the intro? Now it's departure time. Let's say it went okay, we like you . should we wave goodbye, peck goodbye, hug goodbye, do-nothing goodbye, all-of-the-above, none-of-the-above: some coaching, por favor.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think for the intro shake hands or wave. Since you are first meeting you don't really want to rush it, even though a peck on the cheek isn't really rushing it, it's a little too close for just meeting. As for the goodbye if you thought it went well and you are pretty confident she felt the same way you an peck goodbye. If you weren't sure how she felt about it but she seemed a little interested and you felt pretty good about it maybe a hug. If you honestly have no idea how it went for her though wave goodbye. Good Luck!

What Girls Said 14

• 3|1
  • It's all about what you feel comfortable doing. There are no rules. I guess it depends somewhat on the connection you feel before meeting. A peck on the cheek is common where I live for friends so that is fine. I think shaking hands is kind of akward for a date. Shaking hands is for business. Peck on the cheek goodbye or a goodbye hug with no pat on the back is good.

• On a first date you don't want to be to despreate.When you first meet a hug would be acceptable and I think a nice kiss on the check well holding her arm would be nice to end it if you feel that you are comforable with her and she is comforable with you if not a hand shake.

• Shake hands when you first meet. If it goes well, have a goodbye hug and plan a second date.

• yeah I agree with the video, and if the date went well then end in a kiss. And say "give me a call", and if she does, then she wants another date =]

• The intro a peck is acceptible if it doesn't seem awkward. Knowing the way the person thinks is a good way to understand how to greet. Base it off of your personality, and that will help.

When leaving, do what feels comfortable. Don't push anything.

• It depends on the people. My boyfriend held my hand on our first date, but we were lying down watching movies with a group of friends, and I had been friends with him for 4 years before we started dating. Just do what feels right, and read her body language.

• I would NEVER do it unless I had known the guy for 3 months or more before the date. I think it's ridiculous to hold hands/kiss on the first date.

• From personal experience, it is better to start of by shaking hands. Especially if you just start off in the dating game again. This is a first meeting. This hand shaking caused very funny comments, and gave room for more conversation.

By shaking hands, you do not feel obliged to anything and can back off whenever.

Gauge the conversation, otherwise a friendly “I’ll call you” will do. Then, for goodness sake call. Some people will get scared and back off if you suddenly move into there private space too soon.

• i think you should shake hands when meeting and when it comes to saying good bye you sould also shake hadnds and if it went well then a hug good bye.

• i think you should def hug. maybe a sweet kiss depending on how the vibe is.

• it is different in different people.

• a nice peck on the cheek is cute, perhaps a hand shake, polite-ness and nice smile, nothing special really. I think it's always cute when I get a little kiss from a guy

• Don't listen to the other under 18 Anonymous User. You're never too old to do anything you want to do!

How long have the two of you been talking?

Maybe a handshake that leads into a light hug for the intro.

If all goes well, then a soft peck and hug to leave.

• Thanks for your kindness and encouragement. Not my choice to be out there in the dating world at my age. We just started talking.

• My pleasure.

Not all teen girls are that weird. That girl below me is just different.

Anyways, either way, just do what feels natural and what feels right.

Your date will do the same.

Good luck! :-)

What Guys Said 2

• Pick her up by the waist and twirl her around. =]

C'mon you sly dog you know all this!

• My girlfriend self admitted that she never kisses on the first date, in fact, it took us about 5 dates for a first kiss. As for hand holding, we did that on the first date, it was winter and icy outside, and she did not want to slip and fall, nor did I want her to, so she grabbed onto my arm. She later admitted that that was the 'perfect excuse/reason' for her to hold my hand, because she wanted me so badly.