Dating and severe food allergies?

I'm a junior in high school and I've never been kissed or been on a date. I have severe allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. My allergy is airborne and fatal. I'm worried that if I ever get a boyfriend or go on a date that the person won't understand the severity of my allergies. Kissing would be a HUGE risk because if the person ate something containing an allergen and kissed me I could become sick and possibly die. I would also feel bad telling the person I'm with "No, you can't order that. It has nuts on it." because it's kind of rude but it has to be done or I'll get sick!

Would you date anyone with nut allergies? (knowing that you can't eat a certain type of food and have to ask about ingredients and oils at restaurants or just not kiss at all until the person was comfortable and trusted you enough)

• Yes, I would date them.
  • No, I would not date them.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am too, just carry your epi & tell them.

What Guys Said 4

• my brother is anaphylactic to nuts as well(hes lucky enough to eat almonds and peanuts aren't nuts) but it hasn't really altered his life or anything, but it isn't airborne. the only reservation I would have about dating someone like that would just be the though that I accidentally ate something and then killed them...i couldn't live with that

• I am friends with a man, who is married to a woman, that also is deathly allergic to peanuts. So yes there are men out there that will go out with you. Just make sure the man understands how serious it is. Also it is not rude to tell somebody they can't order something, if it could kill you. Anyone worth knowing, will accept and understand this.

• my daughter in law is allergic to cow milk.

• I don't see why I wouldn't date them. Just gotta be careful. I'll mourn at my loss of PB&J sandwiches :( but I'll deal with it for them. The girl matters far more anyways. And I imagine I could still have that stuff as long as I didn't necessarily kiss or do anything with the girl right after or for some time.

What Girls Said 6

• I think that's a case where, at least until the two of you are completely comfortable with your allergy, eating out isn't an option.

You should invite him over a few times first, if you want to have dinner together. You have food that's safe and you can easily prepare a delicious and nut-free dinner. He shouldn't have to shoulder the responsibility of figuring out what he can and can't eat on a first date.

Would it be nice of him to want to any way? Yes, of course.

But don't expect him to. Cook dinner for him, that way nuts and things aren't a problem. When you get to know him better you guys can try going out on a date at a restaurant. Though if my allergy was a bad as yours I would just skip eating out all together, sounds like a really big hassle and, more importantly, extremely dangerous if one tiny thing went wrong you could die.

Also keep your epipen on hand, just in case... not that you don't already.

• Yes !

This isn't your life that's at risk. Unless the guy's a major a**hole, he'll definitely understand. You gotta let him know about this though, and not like seconds before the kiss.

Don't be so insecure. Don't make it an obstacle, it's not a biggie really. I'm saying this and I'm extreeeeemely picky about food so yeah :)

• You would just have to make it completely known to the person what your allergies are ahead of time. Your health is more important than their enjoyment.

• hey,

please check out this book.

link

hope it helps :)

• I would still date them. To me it doesn't matter if they have a deadly allergy, that just means that I have no be more careful. If you tell the guy your going out with he should understand, and not be an a**hole about it.

• My boyfriend's allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts. I've never had a problem with it. It sure doesn't change the feelings I have for him!

My cousin has a severe tree nut allergy, but he isn't old enough to date yet... I doubt he'll have any issues.