First date. I don't think a gift is appropriate for a first ever date. Do you?

Chocolate and flowers...please guys...

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it is a bit inappropriate to be honest. Flowers are unoriginal, chocolates - just don't go there at all...I say just go out, have fun, if you feel like it pay for the first date (if you asked her you should pay, if she asked you than she'll probably pay). Just have fun and don't think about it. I doubt she'll be expecting anything.

What Girls Said 21

• It's a bit much, yeah. If you do want to bring something, definitely don't bring anything you had to spend money on. A gift is too much.

Say you pick a flower for her [probably from someone's yard] somewhere along the way. That's sweet. One flower, and I suggest that you not choose a rose. Everyone gives roses, pick something else that will make you stand out a bit more, and tell her you picked it for her. Better yet, don't have it ready FOR the date, find some opportunity to pick it DURING the date, like if you go on a walk or something. That way if the date is sucky, you don't have to bother, and if it's going well, then you're pulling a sweet move that takes minimal effort but still looks good.

Some girls might not like something like that, but I'd dig it. If all else fails, assuming you asked her out, just make sure you pay for the date. I go by the simple rules of 'you ask: you pay, or split the bill; she asks: she pays, or split the bill'.

• well my opinion about gifts and a first date well, I am kind of old fashined even though I'm not too old. If someone got me flowers or chocolates on a first date I would fall for them... HARD... my boyfriend din't get me anything other than paying for the date and getting his future brother in law to drop me off at my house before they went back home. But I did give him a kiss on the cheek when he walked me to my front door. A small simple gift means you were planning to ask her out and you've been putting a lot of thought into it, a medium gift is awkward, a large gift is stalker-ish.

• a friend of a friend gave a single flower each to the girl he was taking on a date and her mom, which I thought was really sweet and definitely puts you on the good side of the parents... plus if this is a girl that you have been interested in/friends with for a while its REALLY sweet since you already know the girl and (probably) her parents :)

• looks desperate and too soon to be thinking about that. Only get gifts when you are in a relationship

• I think it's a bit intimadating, if it were to happen to me.

• DO NOT give gifts on first dates. You'll look desperate. Just make sure you pay for the date! Good Luck!

• I wouldn't do it If I were you. I wouldn't know what to say to you. ha ha Get to know her see if you even like her.

• It's really not...I mean you two are already going out. And no one really needs a gift unless it's their birthday or holiday season, Valentine's day is just a nice jesture to get someone a gift. The point is you don't need a gift for the first date

• Depends on the girl but at times it can be very cheesy. Although I would not mind getting a single rose. But to me the best gift would be if the guy was super charming and sweet.

• i don't think you need a gift, the gift should be sharing time with that persona nd getting to know them

• I think it depends on what you're getting them, to me something simple like a nice flower, or small box of chocolates is not overkill :)

• I think it's not a good idea for a first date.

• yup you can give her some flowers or choclat or any thing that girls like

• agreed... that's a bit much.

• Seems a bit weird lol.

• nah its too cheesy just offer to pay for her food and don't go anywhere extravgant or expensive just keep it real and simple focus on getting to know her keep the talking conversation going not the materialistic things

• Chocolate & flowers is okay to bring on a first date.

• wow, you sound like the kind of girl who'll do anything for a box of chocolates. Not the kind of a girl I'd want to date. Sorry.

• I agree with you. That response was totally uncalled for. He is an idiot.

Not the kind of guy you'd want to date. Sorry.

• Thanks steve. QA, this is what a real man is like, listen & learn.

• i agree it's too much.

the only time I'd say bring something is if the first date was a house date where she cooked a meal, then I'd say bring some wine or something nice to drink

• i wouldn't use the word appropriate, because there's nothing wrong with it. but it's not usually done because you'll be coming on too strongly

• no, no gifts for me and my dates unless it's a birthday or Valentine's or christmas.

• I don't think its "not appropriate" I think you don't have to give her a present on the first date. Its your choice.

What Guys Said 8

• Nope. No gifts.

• Yes, if it is her birthday... if not, your presence should be present enough.

Good Luck,

James

• I try to avoid doing it unless special circumstances make it a good idea. If for whatever reason our first date is a dinner date and I'm picking her up (like if we already knew each other pretty well), she's getting some roses.

• I don't think so because one of the best gifts you give a girl (apparently) is time so I'm assuming that you just being there would be enough.

• If you're going to do it you have to be so original, ever guy after you will look like a slacker ;)

• maybe a small trinket like a plastic rose or a piece of chocolate (instead of a whole bouquet of real flowers or a whole box of choclates) will do

• If you start off as friends and you want to become more...then maybe something that shows you want more, might be suitable. It's whatever though.

• one sunflower. it works like a charm!