Is it a bad idea to date your best guy friend if he just broke up with a girl?

My question is, would it be a bad idea to date your guy friend if he had recently gotten out of a relationship where the girl cheated on him? Would he just be using you as a rebound, or could it be okay since you were friends before?

Most Helpful Girl

• It is a bad idea to date him NOW, but it's not a bad idea to date him later on (after he's over this matter).

Reasons:

1) He NEEDS time to heal from being hurt. Being cheated by a girlfriend SUCKS big time.

2) He might use you as someone to fulfill him emotionally temporarily whilst not really liking you in person (yes like what you've said using you as a rebound)

3) You might get into a emotional trap by getting emotionally attached to him eventually and regret doing it in a rush. In the end, both of you get unhappy.

Why rush it when you can take your time being with someone? Whilst life is too short to not pursue what you want, life is too short to make too many mistakes. If you are truly his best friend, be there for him as a true best friend and respect his space as a best friend.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• I think it would be smart to wait it out a little so you don't run the risk of being a rebound

• yes. you would be the rebound, that's not a great position to be in

• I am in the same situation as you right now. He knows how I feel about him. We're going at it slowly. We're still friends, and I'm helping him by talking to him about his ex and helping him by letting him vent. Guys need to talk to someone too, even if they don't admit it. This way, he'll appreciate me more and be more happy that I'm around for him. Someday, when and if the time is right, we'll get together.

• It's how I feel about it too, I am glad he trusts me enough to talk about it right now, and that I actually get to spend time with him.

• This is exactly what happened between my boyfriend and I. We're best friends and he was cheated on. This is the way that I helped him and in the end he asked me to be his girlfriend, but that was after about 2 months of him being single.