She's smarter than me and she's earning more than me!

So basically, would you date a woman who is smarter than you and is earning more than you?

My aunt married a man who is a lot a lot less economically sufficient than her, and he kind of depends on her... which for him is a bit depressing. The people from my aunt's side is affluent and they constantly help my aunt, which her husband finds embarrassing... because he cannot provide her with the life she used to have. In this particular case though... apparently...well...my aunt abandoned her job to take care of the kids.., what would you have done and how would you have felt?

The original question was more geared to something like, if she's a doctor who earns a lot and you're a guy who earns let's say half of what she does or less, would you date her then?

(She has no time for you, and you might need to be the one taking care of kids and cooking/cleaning)

The first update was just wondering what you would have done.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, women don't know how to handle having the power in a relationship. I was cohabitating with this girl. In the beginning I made more money than her. I used to spoil her with the extra money I made. My income decreased because I lost my job. When she began making more money than me, She would always make a big deal about it. I remeber she liked comparing our pay checks. Also, she made a big deal when I bought things for myself. She would always tell me "can you even afford that". So, in conclusion I would not date someone that made more money than me because women can't handle having the power in a relationship.

• I guess money can mean more power. It is true, I don't know if I could live with someone who earns a lot less than me. If it is just a little bit it would be alright for me, as long as he doesn't feel less confident about himself. I don't like having the power in a relationship either...

What Guys Said 17

• as long as she's cool then I wouldn't mind that at all.

• I think the question is, would she date me.

Lets be honest, men are very accepting. Women are not. End of story.

• if it were in my case, if the difference is too big, I wouldn't be able to.

• Throw in more attractive and I'll marry her right now.

• In this generation, there's 20% more women than men graduating with bachelor's and master's degrees. So it seems that we'll be seeing a lot more couples where the wife is earning more than the husband in due time.

That said, it wouldn't bother me if my significant other is earning more than me.

• I would leave your aunt. In the future if your aunt and her husband ever have problems, you can bet that your aunt is going to make a big deal about how she sacraficed herself for him and the kids. Moreover, she will feel resentment toward him because she gave up her job. I rather get a divorce.

• They don't seem like they're good for each other. She's very materialistic and used to buy things without looking at price tags and now they live in a house from my aunt's family... he can't afford one...They won't get a divorce, but their marriage is very odd...They complain about each other and spend almost no time together.

• all I can say is that their break up is going to be nasty.

• they wouldn't, they've already been married for 10+yrs

• I don't care how much money she makes compared to me.. as long as we both provide and love and care for each other that's what matters in my book.

• "Smart" is subjective, and more money means a better living. So yes, I would :)

• @Your update, if she has a higher income and thus a different lifestyle, then it would come down to us meeting somewhere or having something in common. If not, then it's not like I wouldn't date her it's just that we might not ever meet.

• Absolutely! If that woman doesn't mind dating a guy who makes less than her and or smarter than her, she's a keeper.

• @update, about the Doctor issue. I would not stay home cooking/cleaning while she works and have no time for love/family. What's good if a person makes a lot of money but do not have the time to spent it with their love ones? To me, time is more valuable than money. If I was the Doctor, I wouldn't want my spouse to have a lot of stress while doing housework, I rather hired a babysitter/maid to do some of the work.

• Doctors have schedules (after their specialty) unless she's a surgeon, ER etc etc. If she's an endocrinologist, which I am interested in, I would have a schedule. Hiring a maid is nothing, I would rather clean it myself because I am frugal, and cooking is fun.

• why not? If the women was kind and attractive I doubt that would have any bearing on how I felt about her

• Yeah, I'd be OK with it.

• Nope, I still got an ego.

• That doesn't bother me.

• I would not date a doctor. I would feel humuliated to do the cooking and take care of the kids.

• You said you wanted to be a house husband though

• I would keep working hard at my current job and try to find a better one in the time being. that and maybe try to further my education so I could find better employment. side work is also an option

• How would you feel though, being dependent on your girl and her family?

• It is, but your wife wants the help. Basically, she was like a little princess. Your money is barely sufficient, you have troubles even with rent, but you mayyybbbeee get by...

• Divorce then. If I wasn't cutting the mustard and her family were the ones making her happy then I would leave

• Yeah. Thinking all women have to be below me is stupid.

• Yes

• That's the goal.

• In that situation, I would have become the primary homemaker and worked on the side doing handyman stuff in the neighborhood, mobile mechanic, short term construction jobs. etc..

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds intimdating ;) I'll clap for a guy who doesn't mind.

• apparently they don't O_O I'm impressed

• I'd prefer to marry someone who earns more or less like me. Then he wouldn't feel pressured for anything and wouldn't feel less equal. He wouldn't lose his confidence/ego, and he could still be himself, free without worrying about unnecessay things all the time.

• Same here QA :)