Do you think online friends are the same as real time friends?

I think they can pretty much be, if you meet the right people. There are some really neat people online I woudn't mind hanging out with, plus it's really easy to keep in touch.

My question is, do you think online friends really count? Or are they only important when you talk to them on an online community?

Would you ever meet up with an online buddy to hang out, or date them? (not from a dating site,)

Do you think a legit friendly relationship can be established online?

Has anyone ever met up / hung out with someone off of a site like this one; are you still friends?

Just curious - thanks :D

Most Helpful Guy

• Online friends can't help you move or move a body.

• Lol - is that what friends are really for? Cleaning up murder scenes? :P

• Lol this is a pretty solid point for BA :P

• Thanks for BA :)

What Guys Said 3

• they are largely the same. although with online friends I think there can be less stereotyping- in a community like GAG people are known for their true thoughts and opinions, and not for how they look. as for hanging out or dating I would but only after talking to them a lot of times on the web and being very careful. then I would loosen up a bit after finally meeting them and it would be a normail friendship/relationship or w/e it may be.

• They count but you have to be careful with people online. They may not be who you think they are. I think it is very important to have a core group of friends that you see very frequently and they are usually more important because you interact with them daily and constantly, but having friends online never hurts.

• The ones you talk to count. There are probably 6 dozen people I'm friends with on social networking that I've known at some point in my life, but I haven't ever talked to online.

I know some people with thousands of friends, and I know most of them they'll never even talk to. Its almost like "whats the point?"

What Girls Said 6

• I think they're different from real life friends because you don't hang out with them in person, but they still count as friends.

• Yea - they don't make as much impact per say, as real time friends do

• I do think that it is the same as regular friends, so long as you know that they are who they say they are and they mean what they tell you. I have two very close friends that I met on Xbox Live through my friend in real life, and I would trust my life with all three of those people. I've been friends with the online guys for about a year now, we went through the whole "I have a crush on you teehee" stage, but now we are like a closely knit family. We tell each other everything, I would safely say I tell my online friends more than I tell my real life friends sometimes. And if they didn't live all the way across the country, yes I would meet up and hang out with them. One of them almost picked up they other and drove all the way across the country to hang out with me and our friend...but his girlfriend stopped him. -3-"

• Aww that was cute @ driving across the country

Yea, I met some cool people through xbox live - I think that's honestly the only hurdle in the way of separating the two types of friends - which is the distance issue

• Yeah, it does suck, but once we are old enough we swore we will hang out at least once before one of us dies haha. We already have it planned for them to come riding through the town in a huge ass truck, BLASTING techno from the speakers so loud that it like rattles the windows HAHA We have pre-planned what we are going to do and everything so I just hope they can come sometime within the next year -fingers crossed-

• LOL @ huge ass truck bleeding techno XD

I hope it works out and the come to visit :D

• Hang out, sure.. Date, I don't know.

• yea, not too sure about the dating aspect either

• No I always end up losing touch with online friends so I don't really consider them real

• ya, they are my friends up to a certain point because I won't ever meet them (the ones on here) but dateing? maybe

• Online friends count as friends...but they're not the same as real life friends.