Should the guy always pay for the date?

I'm interested in hearing what you think. When a girl

goes out with a guy on a date whether it's dinner, movies, etc

should he pay for the food and tickets for both or should he only

pay for himself and the girl can pay for herself?

Should he pay for both only when he invites the girl and only

pay for himself when the girl asks him out?

What do the girls expect? Do you expect the guy to always pay

for you? And guys, do you think it's fair for you if a girl does expect

you to pay for her?

Curious to hear thoughts.

Most Helpful Girl

• 50 / 50 I say:

if it's dinner, I say the girl should offer halfys, even the guy insist on paying everything, the girl can at least offer to pay the tip. Offer something. Now if he wants to be on baller status and take the tab like it's nothing - hey, more power to him :)

If it's like a movie, someone should get the tickets, the other the snacks.

Casual outings - just divide everything up evenly.

I personally don't like being catered too, (most likely because of my independence,) so I feel a bit uncomfortable if he takes care of everything financially - but every girl is different so...

What Guys Said 6

• I always pay on the first date, pretty much the consensus I think. Splitting 50/50 on a second date if the girl wants to pay is generally accepted as well.

• I usually offer to pay but if she says I shouldn't I try once more by saying I will and if she still doesn't want me to pay it, I let her pay her part.

I think it's just kind of a guy to pay for the date, or at least offer to do so.

• Well if he asks her out, he should pay. Eventually, sometime down the line, it would be nice for the girl to reciprocate even if it doesn't match (say he buys dinner.. well she can buy dessert or something).

It's actually a neat reminder that you said that.. I used to have a big issue with that with my exs.. they never paid for ANYTHING. It was awful.

• I think it's an unspoken assumption..

i don't have a problem with paying for stuff, as long as the girl isn't trying to get a free ride..

• if he's any type of gentleman he will pay.

• pay for both

What Girls Said 5

• I think it depends on the circumstances of the pre-date setup. What I mean by that is if the guy asked the girl out, then he should at least offer to pay and vice versa. If going "Dutch" is discussed and agreed between both parties then I think that is just fine. There is no definite standard, but its just general polite etiquiette depending on who pursued the date in the first place.

• link :)

• if the 2 people have been together for awhile (like over 6months or a year) I say it should be 50/50 just to be fair - but if its for a special occasion (like the girls b-day or valentines) the guy should be the one to treat the girl

• Guys should always pay, end of story.

• If he doesn't like me enough to pay for me he's not worth it.

I don't care how great his personality is, if he tries to go dutch on me he's OUT.

• I like to mix it up. I like it when he pays sometimes, and I like to treat him sometimes. And we each pay for ourselves a lot of the time. But I never expect him to pay 100% every single time.