Perfect first date outfit?

This guy that I've been talking to and flirting with for a couple weeks has finally asked me out. He's taking me to this carnival in our town, but I have no idea what to wear. I can go shopping before the date, and I don't really have a budget if that helps.

What would be the perfect first date at a carnival outfit? Ladies, what would you wear? Guys, what would you wanna see on a girl? Thanks so much!

Most Helpful Girl

• Wear something that makes you stand out but also make sure you feel comfortable too.

My latest blog post is all about first date fashion, you might find it helpful x

The first date has to be one of the trickiest occasions to dress for. One fashion faux pas, no matter how small, could mean you won’t get a second chance but it’s not always easy to tell the difference between a wardrobe malfunction and a wardrobe winner, especially if there’s nobody around to run your ideas past. So before you step out in your six inch stilettos, head into town in leather trousers or rock a brave eye make-up craze, think carefully.

1. Glam’ doesn’t always equal ‘goddess’

When it comes to that first date outfit, make sure you feel comfortable, be yourself and choose an ensemble that reflects your personality. But remember, first impressions count, especially on a blind date, so it’s important that you don’t overdo it. And don’t always assume that spending an extortionate amount of money on an outfit will turn you into an instant goddess. That well known saying, ‘money can’t buy style’, is so true.

2. There’s a time and a place for everything

Opting for comfortable clothing is important but of course, it depends on where your date plans to take you. Throwing on a pair of jeans, a chunky knit and ballet pumps might be OK for a cinema date, pub lunch or ten pin bowling but they certainly won’t cut the mustard if you’re planning on going to the opera, a swish restaurant or as his plus one to the company Christmas party.

3. Don’t send out the wrong message

We’re not talking text messages here – we’re talking about flashing the flesh. Too much leg and cleavage on display and you’ll come across as a hussy (that’s not a good thing, by the way). But cover up too much (i.e. wear a suit) and you could turn the date into a business meeting or an interview. It’s all about finding the right balance. Wardrobe staple, the little black dress (LBD), is always a safe bet, provided its neckline doesn’t plunge too far and the hemline isn’t too high. Strapless dresses may send out the wrong signals too so cover up with a cute cardigan.

What would you think if your (female) date turned up wearing a cheek-skimming mini skirt? Here’s what the boys said:

Konnour via GirlsAskGuys.com: ”Nothing wrong with it. It’s hot! The behavior is what determines is the girl “easy” or not instead of the way she dresses. If she got a good body – why hide it?”

handsomejackk via GirlsAskGuys.com: “It would be fine.”

4. Figure out what’s hot and what’s not

We’re all different, so what floats one man’s boat may give another that sinking feeling. So how on earth are we supposed to know what’s considered ‘acceptable’ and what kind of attire is guaranteed to send out the wrong signals? Well, the trick is to dress to impress but don’t go OTT. Put yourself in a bloke’s shoes (but not literally). What would you want to see your female date in? Harem pants don’t tend to go do

What Guys Said 3

• at a carnaval... hm... you can go really far in either direction there. I like dresses a lot on girls, so a dress and sun hat would look cool. nothing too flowery tho. xD. take off thr hat if you are going at night. and yeah.

• Always on a first date dress in a way that represents who you are.

When I had my first date with my fiance' I had a 6" blue/black mohawk, skinny jeans, combat boots, band tshirt, and studded bracelets/belts. I wouldn't recommend that for you though unless you were in to that kind of fashion.

My best advice would be not to go clothes shopping but instead pick through your closet for something that you would normally wear. Feel free to spruce it up a bit if you'd like but the best thing is to be yourself.

side note: if you're going to be walking a lot I would recommend skate shoes. Very comfortable and can be cute and feminine if you get the right pair. Converse suck if you're on your feet for a while because they don't have very good insoles.

• A summer dress with sandals. light makeup and not too many accesories.

What Girls Said 4

• Assuming it's going to be warm out and you'll be walking all night, I suggest something along these lines: link

link

link

It depends on your personal style, though.

• Since its a carnival, it should be comfy but cute. It should also be functional. Figure you are going to be sitting on wood benches, riding the ferris wheel, etc.

I would wear some stretchy legging type jeans, a tunic, and a cardigan with some slip on flats like some keds or something.

• I would wear something like this :) link

Or this link :) I like to wear short shorts in the summer, but they rant very forgiving lol

• wear a floral dress/sundress if you want to opt for more feminine choices but I would wear a tank top with shorts and a cardigan. I would highly suggest flats or converse, but no heels since you're walking around a lot