Is there really a such thing as a rebound relationship?

One of my friends was talking to me about how now that me and my boyfriend are broken up, that I need to be careful about the next guy I date, because he will be the rebound guy. I've only heard about the rebound in passing or on TV shows and movies, but never paid much attention to it. So what I'm asking is if this is a real thing, and how to either prevent this, or avoid it all together.

Most Helpful Guy

• A rebound is generally when you date someone else rather quickly after breaking up with someone else. So just take some time off and enjoy being single for a bit, until those feelings for the other person are close to gone. That way you are fully committed to the next.

What Guys Said 5

• yes a rebound person can exist however any guy after a break up even if 6 months latter in effect is a rebound person. some people use that person to simply have someone to be with an date until someone better comes along (this to me is wrong in essence the rebound person has virtually wasted what ever time he spends with the person in that relationship for nothing and could have been with someone who actually cared.

other turn is that sometimes the rebound person actually turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to them.

• no not really it's just a thing a bunch of girls made up. while watching basketball

• yes it is real, and it happens because a person has to replace the sudden loss of a loved one, and it can be anyone, higher or lower than their usual standards, any thing to 'fill the gap'

• yeah, unfortuneately never happend to me

• Yes there is such a thing as a rebound relationship. My brothers girlfriend dumped him and broke his heart and then a few weeks later was seeing a new guy consistently. So once she realized that even though my brother is a moron, this guy was only good for a short period of time and can't do the things for her that he did. So two months later she came begging for him back and he was smart and said no.

What Girls Said 3

• It's definitely a real thing. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the next guy you date will be a rebound. If you want to try to make sure that you don't end up in a rebound relationship then just make sure you wait until you're sure you're over your ex and the pain of losing him before you get into another relationship. And take your time in getting to know guys before you get into a relationship with them. You want to make sure you take the time to sort out how you really feel about them.

• yes , its all the subsequent relationship a guy enters into- after being hurt once.

• Rebound relationships are relationships you get into just to ease your pain from your last relationship. When you rebound, you aren't really over your ex. You also aren't really all that into the guy you are dating because you hurt too much to really open up to it. It's usually more about sex than anything else. And feeling like you are attractive.

• I dated this one girl on and off for 3 years.each time would only last about a month.. first she was having an affair with me for about 3 weeks on a guy she's was dating for 3 years got caught,left me,broke up with him,we dated again,cheated on me,then left me for her ex again,broke up with him, we dated,broke up again,dated a new guy,left him for me left me again,slept with 2 guys 1 week after we broke up,with a new guy 3 months later.she said she loved me more but I don't think she did ever did