Dating someone who is depressed?

Have you ever dated someone who was depressed? and how did it affect your relationship? Did you stay or bail regardless of how much you loved them?

Most Helpful Girl

• My most recent ex-boyfriend was depressed. It didn't make me want to leave him, but it was devastating to see him like that and not be able to help. His depression was usually mild, though, it wasn't to the point where he was in a constant low mood and didn't have energy for anything. His depression was more circumstantial (caused by his parents and social anxiety) than biological (chemical imbalance in the brain), so as he got older, it improved.

I could date someone who is more severely depressed as long as they were getting help for it (counseling and/or medication). If they're not willing to do that, I think that would bother me too much.

What Girls Said 4

• It will depend on you, your level of tolerance, how much you care about the person and how much you are educated on depression. It's not always easy because you need to be patient and understanding. Sometimes the person may not want to go out, he/she may want to be alone and will shut you and the rest of the world out. It's nothing against you or the relationship, it's the depression. You don't want to do anything or go anywhere. There is solace in being alone in your thoughts. The person may be distant or very very moody at times.

If you can manage to get past the depression and focus on the inner person then that is the best advice I can offer. When the depression isn't present and the person is feeling pretty good then that's what you focus on. The depression can't be controlled by the person. Sometimes meds or exercise can help.

• Eventually it makes you really depressed as well, & it's just not healthy.

• I did date someone who was only mildly depressed and it didn't work out. He was an a**hole anyway.

If I got into a serious relationship with someone who was severely depressed, I would do my best to be understanding and stay by him. But if he did not seek any form of treatment, whether it be counseling or if necessary, medication, I would worry about the future of our relationship. Love isn't enough sometimes.

• i have and it's miserable because he's never happy and never wants to do anything. and if you're going to want to do anything, why be in a relationship? he needed to work on himself before letting somene else in

What Guys Said 0