What is the point of dating?

By dating I mean being in an exclusive relationship. I am 20 years old and have been with my boyfriend officially for two months. NOT saying that I love him or think that I will marry him, but, I could see myself marrying someone LIKE him. He has all the beliefs/character traits of someone that I would like to share my life with. So, even though it's ridiculous right now to say that I will marry him or that I am in love with him, I guess I'm also saying that if things were to work out I could see myself with him years from now. Do other people not get in relationships with people that they could -possibly- envision themselves with years later? My friend has been with a guy for two years and when our friends teased her that she would marry him she was practically quivering at the thought and changed the topic; I don't understand why a person would be with someone for two years if they didn't see any future like that with them.

0|1
2|5

Most Helpful Guy

• People often date someone they think could be a good catch if they had a few changes... they often put in a lot of time hoping for a change that never comes. Or some people date people different to their preference because they've had bad past experiences with the kind of people they're usually attracted to.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Not wanting to be alone. Wanting to have ongoing sex with a person.

0|0
    0|0
  • sex is the mostly reason of dating, but sometimes dating can be a great idea to know your girl's response in some situations, so you know her personality, so you know the way to steal her heart!

0|0
    0|0
  • well. perhaps that person sees the relationship as a social thing. like its expected for the head cheerleader to date the football team captain. otherwise, the relationship may be a lot of fun, but it wouldn't be the relationship she would stick to for marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • And what are those beliefs/character traits?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• to find out if he's marriage material

0|0
    0|0
  • guys mostly date to f*** and have occasional companionship and MAY rarely fall in love along the way and girls date out of wanting to find a companion, looking for love, or because society expects you to have a boyfriend if you're a "normal" girl.

0|0
    0|0