What is the point of dating?

By dating I mean being in an exclusive relationship. I am 20 years old and have been with my boyfriend officially for two months. NOT saying that I love him or think that I will marry him, but, I could see myself marrying someone LIKE him. He has all the beliefs/character traits of someone that I would like to share my life with. So, even though it's ridiculous right now to say that I will marry him or that I am in love with him, I guess I'm also saying that if things were to work out I could see myself with him years from now. Do other people not get in relationships with people that they could -possibly- envision themselves with years later? My friend has been with a guy for two years and when our friends teased her that she would marry him she was practically quivering at the thought and changed the topic; I don't understand why a person would be with someone for two years if they didn't see any future like that with them.

Most Helpful Guy

• People often date someone they think could be a good catch if they had a few changes... they often put in a lot of time hoping for a change that never comes. Or some people date people different to their preference because they've had bad past experiences with the kind of people they're usually attracted to.

What Guys Said 4

• Not wanting to be alone. Wanting to have ongoing sex with a person.

• sex is the mostly reason of dating, but sometimes dating can be a great idea to know your girl's response in some situations, so you know her personality, so you know the way to steal her heart!

• well. perhaps that person sees the relationship as a social thing. like its expected for the head cheerleader to date the football team captain. otherwise, the relationship may be a lot of fun, but it wouldn't be the relationship she would stick to for marriage.

• And what are those beliefs/character traits?

What Girls Said 2

• to find out if he's marriage material

• guys mostly date to f*** and have occasional companionship and MAY rarely fall in love along the way and girls date out of wanting to find a companion, looking for love, or because society expects you to have a boyfriend if you're a "normal" girl.