Dating someone who is alcohol dependent?

I'm currently dating a girl who I found out was alcohol dependent. I've known her since the beginning of the year, and we made the switch fairly recently from friends to more. I also just found out within the last month or so that she has a drinking problem. I also found out that while she was dealing with some family problems a few months ago (and disappeared to deal with them) that her drinking had become really bad, and she had even ended up in detox and rehab. I'm one of the few people other than her mom who knows about her drinking.

She had been doing extremely well and had been sober for nearly two months, but she went out with some friends last weekend and ended up drunk. She also went out again last night and ended up drinking (both times she told me). It seems to really only be a problem when she's out in that situation (not drinking at home), and she ends up drinking and has a hard time stopping. It's also a problem because her friends don't know and, therefore, don't do anything to monitor her.

I know this isn't the most ideal situation, obviously, but does anyone have any experience dealing with a similar situation? Any advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of alcoholics usually drink for a reason, they depend on it to be happy and have fun especially in social gatherings. I suggest you sit down and talk to her about it. Comfort her and see if she'll open up. If she isn't willing to then just drop the subject. Personally I've had a lot of problems with alcohol so I can see where she's probably coming from. The best thing for you to do is to be there for her. Are her only friends ones that she goes out and drinks with? If that's the case then introduce her to new people or push her to get a new group of friends who she can do sober things with. Plan dates that are fun and new on the weekends (or days she's most likely to drink). Get her out of the house and take her places where she has fun and doesn't think about drinking.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't know really to say except thatt you are a great man for trying to still help her and not asking us should you dump or something! Two thumbs up in my book. I say keep encouraging her and try to make your dates and hangout time very fun and light where your away from any alchol...help her create a positive support group of friends. You are a great guy and she is going to thank you for it someday for helping her save her life.

• I admire your commitment and dedication to her.

Personally, that is one of the few things I wouldn't tolerate.

• First of all, good for you for caring about her and not trying to take advantage of her flaw. This is actually a common problem. Unfortunately, all that you can do is try to be there for her. With alcoholics, they have to decide to change their own behavior because they are the ones in the driver's seat. You can encourage her, be a shoulder to lean on, and even avoid bars when you're with her.

What Guys Said 0