When a guy asks for time, what does that really mean?

Been dating a guy, and things have been great...then all of a sudden he stopped calling and responding and finally told me that he lost his job and is stressing over it as he has bills and child support looming over him. He stated that he did not want me to go anywhere but to give him some time to work it out...the instructions were not clear enough for me...Does that mean he wants me to stop all communication? Should I stop all communication? I am 45 years old and he is 47. We are not children here. What am I not getting?

Most Helpful Guy

• It means what he said. He has too much on his mind right now to think about dating. Just give him some time. But you can still send some friendly messages from time to time.

• I have sent very supportive and friendly messages. I have not pressed him on anything. He has not responded one time to anything I have sent to him. I feel like I am being tested.

• Yeah, I've never known guys to do tests as women often do. To be honest it does sound like he's a little depressed due to the job/finance situation and can't really find the emotional energy to be romantic, which would be embarrassing for you to realize through direct communication. But obviously there's a limit to how long a person can be silent in any relationship...

• Yeah, I get it. I have decided to remain on the very low down low and let time run its course. Thanks for all your responses.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• it's a pickle.

• You need to ask him where you stand, tell him if he just wants a few weeks appart, that's fine and you'll stand by him (if you're okay with that whilst he clears his head), but you need to have some indication of where abouts you are

• have as minimal communication as you can handle right now, possibly none. he just needs time to sort through things and he can;t be distracted by you. guys mean what they say, no need to question it. just give him time and he'll come back.

• i think he just needs to work on his own issues right now. he has a lot on his plate and doesn't have time right now for a new relationship