Is it inappropriate for a man to date his assistant?

I was this guy's personal assistant and people thought we were involved with each other. We actually are not, but if they think we are, is that really so unprofessional? He is a bit older but I am of legal age and a young woman, not a child.

Would you think it is inappropriate for them to be dating? Let's say they look a little bit closer than professional. Would you automatically assume they are dating? If they are, does it reflect poorly on them?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't automatically assume that they were dating if they were closer than professional... many people make lifelong friends at their jobs. Some people hang out outside of work. I don't think it's fair to automatically assume that there's a sexual relationship there.

Also, I think that the reason people look down on relationships between two professionals at the same work place is because there's a chance of favouritism or leniency. That's why some companies will put a strict 'no inter office dating' clause in their policies.

I don't think it's anyone's business whether or not you two do end up dating. As long as there aren't rules against it, and you truly are interested, go for it. Just be prepared for the usual snide people.

What Guys Said 1

• yes it is inappropriate.

What Girls Said 3

• It depends on how they acted. If they keep giving each other "the eye" or making sexual comments to each other then yea I'd assume they're together and that its unprofessional.

However, if the two people are getting their work done, working with other employees and saving the bedroom/dating talk out of the office, then I probably wouldn't even give it a second glance. Their personal life isn't any of my business.

• It is unprofessional, not because of the age difference, but because he is in a direct position of power over you.

Is it inappropriate, yes. I don't think I would jump to the conclusion that they are dating, but depends on what you mean by "look a little bit closer than professional."

• Close, asked me if I wanted him to drive me somewhere after work in front of people, praises me in front of people and in front of my own face, etc

• yeah, I don't think I would jump to the conclusion that you are dating from that information

• that is very unprofessional