Now that people don't need relationships for survival, is there any point to dating?

Men & women used to need each other for survival, but now they really don't. People used to date people they only "tolerated," but is there a point to do this anymore?

Most Helpful Guy

• you may not need a person to provide for you but there is the fact that you have someone with an emotional attachment to and if anything happens they will be there for you.

• Emotional attachments seem to be a product of our desire to mate, however. People used to marry people they had a low desire to mate with, but now that's not the case.

• ...but emotional attachments form because of attraction. Including their social skills or empathy skills. Not everyone is going to hit home runs when it comes to attractive skills.

• True no one is perfect and "home runs" are rare or hard to find. you are correct about attraction being what starts the relationship but it is emotional attachment that keeps it going.

What Guys Said 2

• women are allowed to validate themselves through relationships, dating, but men are not

• Nope.

What Girls Said 2

• Hmmm... interesting question. I guess you could say that men and women don't really need each other to provide things like food and shelter anymore, but one of the levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs is the need to feel loved. I know that, personally, when I'm single, I feel like something is missing in my life (cliche, but true). And especially in our culture today, girls are programmed to believe that if they can't get a boyfriend, there's something wrong with them. It's probably the same with guys who can't get a girlfriend, to an extent.

I'd say that there's still a point to dating, but people will more than likely get even choosier about the people they date in the future. Back in the 1800s you met someone who lived ten miles from your claim shanty, noticed that they were of the opposite gender, and decided to get married. But now we can afford to be a little pickier than that. :)

• But then, won't be be designed to become attached to the best mates we can find, if its only a matter of emotional reaction?

• Sounds probable to me.

• people aren't meant to be alone, we're suppose to be with someone else