How do I date someone with such different political and even to some extent religious views?

I like this guy he's smart, funny, charming, the parents like him. He's an all around good guy, but he's extremely limited when it comes to his view of the world. He's overly religious, at first I thought I could handle it but now I'm not so sure. I'm a christian but I don't agree with a lot of what people condemn others for. For example I support gay rights, I'm pro choice and I think Harry Potter is just a book. I think what I'm try to get at here is how do I date some one who has such a narrow veiw of the world and who I often disagree with?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can try and learn something from him, I mean I learn a lot from people who don't think like I do, it used to really bother me, but now I use it as a learning experience, that is the differnences. I used to think my way was the right way and my thinking was the right way, but now I realize everyone has there own ways and sometimes I learn a thing or two. I think healthy debates are great for a realtionship, your never going to see eye to eye on everything. If the issues you guys debate about our that important to you, then maybe you should reconsider dating him all together.thats your call ya know?

Maybe he is learning to broaden his view by listening to you and the way you see things, you could be opening him up and don't even know it yet. If he's sooo set in his ways that he won't see your point of view or even listen, like I said you may want to reconsider dating him, it may lead to bigger more important differences down the road, with lets say kids, marriage, schooling, church etc etc.

You guys must have something in common to be together, maybe it is your differences that bring you together, you may compliment each other very well. I personally like to be around people who don't always see things the way I do, I like other ways of seeing things and thinking about things I find it interesting, and have even changed some of my thoughts on issues after listening to what someone else had to say. I say embrace your differences and both try and learn from eachother. Good Luck.

What Guys Said 2

• Hahaha. I know what you are talking about. I am open minded too and until I saw such people with narrow perspective of the world I never could have imagined that such people exist.

• You should date him for a while and see how it goes. If you can get past the political stuff, then I'd probably say you're okay. As far as the religious thing, I think it is a bad idea to be with someone who does not have the same religious beliefs as you, but its looks like your both Christian you just interpret it differently, so you should probably just wait and see how things go. I myself am a Christian and have pretty conservative political views. I might consider dating a person who has different political views, but probably not different religious views.

What Girls Said 1

• You can just tolerate his views without trying to convert him to your way of thinking. Choose to respect his way of thinking without taking it personal.

I couldn't do it, though. I would have a hard time having feelings for someone who claimed to be Christian and was intolerant and judgemental. It goes against my fundamental beliefs and would constantly rub me the wrong way. We would argue too much for it to be worth it to me. That's just because I don't know how to keep my mouth shut.