Have you ever been forbidden to date someone based on their ethnicity?

Have your parents ever forbidden you from dating someone because of their ethnicity. Or because they werent of your ethnicity or your parents preference for you.

• Yes
  • No
  • It was implied but never discussed.

Most Helpful Guy

• My parents aren't racist phucks so no.

What Guys Said 7

• no

• My parents, no.

But grandma told me I shouldn't bring home a n****r or a j*p.

Good ole' G-Ma

• G-ma was crazy. She was part of the WW2 generation so I understood her hating the Japanese. She had this pin that said "To hell with Japan" with japan underlined. I still have that.

Once we went to the zoo. At the ape exhibit she commented that they reminded her of basketball players. You can imagine my whole family walking away from her in every direction so not to be associated with her. LOL.

• Wow, your G-Ma needs a dose of Lennon

Liebe ist fur alle da

• im my own boss I do what I want

• My parents never gave a sh*t about that stuff.

• Nope

• but then again my mom thinks I've only ever dated white girl o.O

• Never, but what your parents don't know won't hurt them right?

What Girls Said 9

• I date whoever I want.My parents have nothing to do with my preferences.I think its my life and I have the right to make my own choice because I'm the one who will stay with that guy,not them.They don't really like my boyfriend but well as I said I'm the one who will stay with him not them^_^

• Yes, once. I've on;y been told one time I couldn't date someone. My dad told me, as I was being dropped off from a first date, at 17, and I introduced him to my father, that I could never see or date him again. "Get inside, now," was what he said next. Now, my mom had met him & was OK with this, as I always asked permission. Although, this boy was not from my hometown.

Inside the house my dad told me I was not allowed to date Russians. Who knew? Never came up before. We discussed it the next day, as I didn't want to argue or upset my dad that night. He then told me about his experiences, some, not much, in WWII as a POW with Germans & Russians and he "just had bad feelings left." He said he'd prefer I didn't do this.

I honored his wishes. It was the only thing my dad has ever asked of me.

• wow Russians, an accented Russian? wow I know of !one! dude in my whole school with prominate Russian heritage. Wow, well good for you for pleasing your dad.

• No, no accent. My mom had told my dad about him from her conversation with the boy that his family had moved here. He had lost his accent. You must also know that I am from a different generation. We did what our parents told us. That said, I would have anyway, I do even now that my dad is 90. I've always loved & respected that man for all that he has done for me, my mom & our family, his family & what he did as a young man. 18 years old & a POW for 18 mos. I don't know how he did it. Strong man

• Strong all right, but seeing how you are from a different generation I can understand. :)

Glad you repested your fathers wishes and you have a great relationship :)

+1

• the guys ethnicity doesn't matter to them that much, they just want someone Americanized and educated. but if they had to choose I know they would want me with a white guy. and my moms mexican.

• No, my parents don't care. And I wouldn't care if they did.

• no. and I was- id tell them to go f*** themselves.

• My dad's conservative American :P all of his kids have tried some chocolate and 3/4 have tried some ?soy sauce? (asian) hahaha but yeah dad hates it. My brother LOVES dark women too so he's gotten darker and darker and dad is so "disappointed" ha ha Doesn't bother me or my bro or sisters. Dad has his opinions but there's nothing he can do.

• yep, lol its sad that many conservative Americans are viewed as ...old school..and most of the time it's right sad but true

• I'm dating a North African Muslim guy and they suggested I dumped him. I'm not gonna let that happen.

• Good for you, fight when the parents are wrong :)

• Hmm, that's a tough one. Still, parents are supposed to give love without conditions, especially conditions like that. I'm sorry your dad is being that way.

• Eh don't worry :)

• Totally! I can't date anyone unless their german!

• Yes ma'am!