My application resume's too long?

After grueling hours of working on it, I finished it...and it was 7 pages long. I decided to shorten it and I got it to 3 pages long.

There's no freaking way I can shorten it anymore. I already had to make the sacrifices of taking out a lot of my clubs, work experiences, and community service because of it.

Is 3 pages still too long? My descriptions aren't even that long for each activity. It's only like 50 words or less.

What do I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• You're under 18? Then your resume is a joke. 7 pages... even 3 pages... that's a joke.

I've hired people in the past, and I can tell you the Clubs and community services are not important in the slightest.

You want the following, on ONE page, in order for an employer to take you seriously.

Name, contact details. Education (from highest to lowest). Work Experience. *Relevant* skills to the job you're applying for.

Then, if you have any room left on the page, put in a comment about the community service stuff.

Clubs, interests and passtimes? It's not a dating site. Leave all that stuff out, our your resume will go straight in the bin.

• It's not a joke.

I guess you don't know how much effort I put in to making myself whole. I've been very active in not just school, but the community as a whole. I'm very dedicated to so much clubs, committees, organizations, and community service.

Guess you just never met someone like me.

By the way, it's just a college application resume. Not for a job.

• You never said it was for college. That's actually a highly relevant piece of information that you forgot to include. No wonder the advice wasn't relevant.

As a job application, it would be a joke. As a college application, all that stuff speaks to your character, and so is relevant. Good luck with the admission.

What Guys Said 4

• Dude, resumes should only be a page long. Possibly a page and a half at the most. You're going to lose any potential job prospects just because they won't care to read a huge resume (if you're lucky enough to even have a person and not a computer reading it). You need to be brief and outline yourself so that they'll get the picture, invite you in for an interview, THEN you can go over your accomplishments and qualifications.

• The page long thing is false.

• Uhm...It's a college application resume, you know, to apply to colleges?

• Um, you didn't state that so the smarminess isn't warranted ;)

• Jesus. My app resume is a page, and that took padding.

I didn't do any descriptions, though. Length of activity, awards won, that's it. The Common App lets you go more in depth.

• I was always told to make it about 4 pages =/

• I don't even plan to make a resume anyway, so you're wasting your breath, PAL

• I was told a maximum of two pages, but being as OCD as I am, I organized it in a way that it's easy to follow and read.

There's blank spaces. It's not like it's an essay or anything. It's just VERY organized.

• Just leave it as is. If it's 3 pages and that's you keeping descriptions short you should be fine, but your resume doesn't have your work experiences? What the hell is on it then? That's the most important part.

• It says, "clubs, work experiences, and community service."

I've been dedicated to a lot of community service and being active in school clubs and everything. Not just that, I'm part of out-of-school organizations, church organizations, and sports. I have work-experience on there too, along with my skills, awards, and honors.

What Girls Said 5

• Take out your resume objective if you have one, and as far as computer skills if you have them, there is no need to list every program you are proficient in.

Eliminate any GPA stuff.

My resume is only 2 pages.

I have all my schooling and most of my employment history. I only put down the relevant employers.

You should be somewhat tailoring your resume per place you turn it into.

If its all food service, highlight the qualities and employment history that make you suited for food service, same with retail.

• I think your CV should reflect the job you are applying for. So at the top you want your name and contact details (email, phone). You should include any qualifications if you have them (short courses, high school diploma, degrees etc), then below that a summary of skills you have (as single words, such as using a computer, being able to use a cash register). Below that you should summarise paid work experience in 2 lines per job- the date you worked there, the position title and in a few words what you did. Below that you should include volunteer experience that you have showed a commitment to for some time (at least a few months), again summarised to 2 lines. Below that you should have 2 referees. This can be included in 2 pages for most people. A short CV shows that you have good written communication skills with an ability to summarise information. Good luck.

• Resumes should be simple and right to the point. They don't care about your rewards or your hobbies especially if it isn't job related. Description should only be a couple of sentences. A potential employer doesn't care about your life story they just want to know what you can bring to their company as a potential employee.

• Your resume should be a page long.

• A professionally-written CV must not exceed two pages.

At an age of 18 years old, I'm sure you can make it less than one page.