Would you ever pursue a relationship that started online?

been talking to this guy in another country for a little over a month now, went from chatting to pictures to video chatting and calling each other. I really like him and we are really open. He's a bit older than me but offered to buy me a ticket to somewhere between both of the states that we live in.

I'd tell my friend before I went but do you think it is safe, and even if it is safe, do you think it's possible for it to go anywhere, having started online?

Most Helpful Girl

• why would you want to live between his state and your state? shouldn't you just choose one otherwise youd be lonely in the middle? also why isn't he offering for you to live with him. why not just date a guy in your own town? don't you get out much? I think that this relationship is bunk he doesn't sound realistic and neither do you about all this

• lol I do know people in my town. and I could date them if I wanted. jjust saying that I happened to meet someone I really click with online. meeting in the middle works out for both of us cause it's kind of a neutral place. I think it would be more unrealistic to move in with him before meeting him, not tryin to move in together in the middle of the country just to meet up in person for a few days to see how it goes to make real decisions.

• donno why your'e so convinced that I couldn't meet someone where I live. I'm not gnna uproot my life... I happened to meet someone online that I like so why wouldn't I take the opportunity to at least meet them?

• well if you were trying you would have met someone in your town already

What Guys Said 3

• Yes, but I would like to know her for a while online. The long term issues would make it extra difficult, considering I hate to fly and I would feel bad if she spent money on tickets to see me.

• a month seems like a short time span... And maybe have a friend come with u. You can never b too careful. Pretty much stay in busy areas. I don't know if that kind of thing works out but good luck.

• Sure, people meet online all the time. In your case, though, the issue is the long-distance aspect. Are you both planning to move to the same general area? If not, why waste each others' time?

• not planning anything yet, just wanting to meet in person to see if we click as much as we do online

What Girls Said 2

• I do think it can work, but a month sounds a little short. I'd wait a few months, make sure this isn't just a passing crush or whatever, and take it from there. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a dude paying for my ticket, either - but I guess that's a separate issue entirely. I'm not sure if it's safe - that depends on how good a judge of character you are (and even that isn't really conclusive).

I think it starting as an online relationship isn't the issue, but the fact that you are so far apart. Distance can be a bitch, and unless one of you are willing to move or you're okay with commuting - it's gonna be a pain. But that's not an issue yet, so don't worry about it til it's a problem.

• why don't you tell him instead of buying you a ticket for meet ups, just buy a ticket for him straight to your place it is much safer for u...i don't say that he can't be trust but you need to be careful a month conversation is kinda short...