Which branch of service would you choose between these two: U.S. Air Force or U.S. Navy?

I am in talks with recruiters for both branches and I plan on joining one or the other as an officer once I finish my bachelor degree program (about 6-9 months). I already served 6 years enlisted in the USAF so I'm more familiar with that branch, but in the USN I would get to see the world and they have bases in better locations. The pay and benefits are the same and it really just comes down to preference at this point.

Which would you choose if you were in that situation? Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• I did 6 years enlisted in the navy. From what I saw being a naval officer wasn't a bad deal, and the travel was a huge perk. But it can really vary with what type of ship you want to go on. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Best of luck with whichever you choose.

What Girls Said 8

• Anything that would allow me to program or build electronic equipment. I wouldn't mind being a Navy nuke student.

• lol, being a navy nuke isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• Don't get me wrong, there are some exciting parts to it. It's a real rush starting up a nuclear reactor, knowing how much power and responsibility lies at your fingertips. Emergency shutdowns, or "scrams" are also an intense adrenaline rush. But most of the time, you just sit there watching numbers, occasionally flipping switch or pushing buttons. And when you are not doing that, you are doing some sort of maintenance on your equipment. For the most part it's pretty boring.

• If I thought it would be entertaining or something I'd like, I would have done it by now :P

• Air force aaaaal the way for me!

* The idea of maybe being able to fly my own fighter jet or airplane at some point is amazing! Plus the freedom the skies bring, the experience and feelings when in the air and more!

* There are a lot of GREAT jobs that you can be involved in once out of the air force like Search and Rescue Jobs, firefighting jobs, EMS jobs and tourism/sight seeing.

* Oh and don't some ships carry airplanes? Maybe you could be one of those guys who mans his airplane on a ship! ha ha :D Best of both worlds. :)

• Back in high school I was considering the Air Force, but my family who has roots in the Navy wanted me there. Now, I'm not even military, but if I were to choose, I'd choose Navy in a heartbeat. My reasoning comes in part with family, second, I love ships now more than planes and the idea of seeing the world. Plus, looking at the two, there's more pride with the Navy. I never got a huge sense of pride from people when I talked of the Air Force, the Navy though. Man, right there, just in the name of the service, I get a huge sense of pride.

• Neither.

• I was considering both and I think it just depends on you. I had decided that if I did enter I was going to enter the Air Force because they had the best offer for me; however, it sounds like that Navy is your best deal.

• Air Force, seems like fun

• I'd choose the Navy all the way. To me it seems better and more adventure.

• I would probably go with the Navy. I would rather spend my time dealing with ships than planes.

What Guys Said 13

• Which ever has the least risk, which ever promises better odds of me returning in one piece... I thought you were a clever man? You really agree with what your country's doing in Iraq and Afghan'? This a job for you or a job with meaning?

• I will be a nurse, not manning the turrets on a tank. Medical personnel are required by international law (LOAC) to triage all casualties of conflict, regardless of what side they are on.

• Which just shows how ridiculous war is. Sending proffesional, trained people out to a battle field to save the lives of 'toy soldiers', literally picking any injured person up and helping them so they can be well enough to go back onto the field. Intheory you could help the same person a few times during your 'tour', perhaps befriend someone from the battle field?!?! :) !?!?!

• Im in the USAF as an Avionics Engineer soon to be pilot and its the best choice I've done in my life. Why? Im fit, more alert, more commited, more organized, have a sense of duty, more responsabilities, great comrades and friends. The benefits are the best in any of the other branches. The overseas travel and base. The house allowance, and food allowance, the experience, its just so much.

• No competition; Air Force.

Their AH-64 Apache gunship is such a freaking badass machine! Between it's Hellfire and Hydra missles, 30mm chain gun, highly advanced targeting systems, armor plating, and long-range capabilities, it's litterally the most deadly helicopter in the world. I'm not even kidding either, it's a known fact!

Plus they have some pretty freakin sweet planes like the AC-130, F-35 Lightning, B-2 Spirit, F-22, and F-16, plus many more!

I also love the Chinook troop transport chopper, it's such a freakin sweet ride, and almost rivals the Blackhawk!

All-in-All, though, the Airforce treats you better and requires that you have a higher education and intelligence, there are no half asses in the Airforce.

Now, that being said, I love ALL of our armed forces, and how they keep is safe and keep out enemies awake at night, but my heart lies with the United States Marine Corps (U.S.M.C.). I hope to join their glorious ranks one day and be one of The Few and The Proud.

• Bases in better locations sounds like a clincher to me. Plus they have the subs and aircraft carriers right, the big hitters.

• I particularly would choose air force, but that is just me I love the adrenaline of travelling on airplanes adn the big drops and stuff, plus I like the sound of the airplanes and a lot of that jazz. Unfortunately I couldn't make it :( as I have a very sh*tty eye vision...I was planning to do that when I finished my bachelor as well...the only good thing I see about the navy is the navy seals, I personally don't like to be in a ship for a very long time...

• I've never had good impressions of the USAF at all. I respect them as service members but I can begin to think about all the lazy, lacking of pride, and just general "un-military-ness" I've seen of them. I would choose the USN over USAF, but that's just me :)

• navy... id rather be a marine.. and then apply to be a navy seal

• Marines don't become SEALs. Sailors become SEALs.

• oh I see, I thought you just had to be in the navy for a while and then you apply

• That's kind of how it works, but Marines aren't in the Navy. The Marine Corp does fall under the department of the Navy, but they are a separate entity.

• Hmm serve the interests of the ruling elite who have no loyalty to America or Americans? Pass.

• Well it's a nursing gig so I don't know how much damage I'd be doing by helping out sick or wounded people, but I get your point.

• I joined the air force, my dad was navy, we both say neither. Stay a civilian

• I've been a civilian now for 5 years and this ain't me. I had way more fun and more of a life when I was in than I am now.

• For what reasons?

• We both went to the middle east (different wars mind you) and came to the conclusion that our freedoms were being suppressed and our voices silenced. I am now a conscientious objector doing civilian duties on my base until my contract is over. If you would like to be a tool for a political agenda, be my guest. But things have changed since '07, its a different military...

• I'd pick the Navy over the Chair Force, I mean Air Force all day. Get to travel around on a boat to different places and stuff.

• The chair force. =P

• Depends. Are you gay? if yes then go fr the Navy. ;D

• U.S. Air Force. Couldn't stand being trapped on a ship for months at a time or whatever.