Agreed to plans but don't want to go. How do I get out?!

Last weekend, I hung out with a guy that I haven't seen in a couple of years. We met watching football at a local sports bar. I always felt like he kind of had a thing for me... but I'm so not interested in him and never will be in that way. He's a cool guy and fun to watch football with but that's about it. Anyway, he'd been trying to get me to hang out for a while, so finally I said yes and met him and some of his friends to watch our team play. Well, while we were there, he picked up my tab without me knowing until I tried to cash out. I was kind of mad, but I said thanks. Then they all started talking about going to this Halloween event the following weekend. He put me on the spot about going. We I said I couldn't go that particular night he was like oh well what about next weekend?! Finally, I gave up and said I would go. I decided I would text him during the week and cancel but I got really busy and forgot. Before I could cancel, he text me saying he bought "our" tickets. That really, really annoyed me because he never confirmed I would go for sure before he bought them. I felt guilty about it all the same. I just said something like "you bought one for me?" He was like "you said you were going to go. Was I mistaken in hearing that?" I'm such a nice person and I felt completely backed in a corner so I just said I did say I would go and that I would pay him back. He told me it was cool and not to worry about the $$ but I insisted saying I don't like owing *friends* money.

The problem is: I don't want to go. I don't have time to go. It's Sun night and I have to get up at 5 am to make it to campus for my first class. Aside from that, I don't like being scared - I will get nightmares for sure and I also don't want to drop $60 to do something that I don't want to do.

What do I do? How can I cancel and not come off like a complete jerk? He's cool to hang with but I don't want to put myself in any kind of situation that would resemble a date and that is what it is kind of sounding like.

What Guys Said 1

• You forgot to cancel - therefore I think you gotta go.

What Girls Said 1

• if I don't want to do something , I don't do it. that's simple.