GALS - what is your first date preference?

You may add your own activities below the poll, combinations or simply tell what would make you come back for more

• Movie
  • Fine Dining
  • Dancing
  • Saloon - Bar
  • Nature Walk Talk

Most Helpful Girl

• Dancing. But not clubbing, like actual proper dancing. If a guy asked me to do that I think I'd fall in love instantly lol I've always wanted to do it, but I've never been asked. Guys just aren't romantic these days :(. I wouldn't be big on fine dining or anything fancy, I'd feel to put on the spot, a relaxed atmosphere is always best, but I guess it depends on the individual person

What Girls Said 52

• Not 'FINE' dining. But going to get food or something always seems to work well for me. Most the date I've been on have been based around food, but never really a very up-market place, that's a little intimidating.

It's too much too soon. First dates are about getting to know one another, and fine dining for me seems to put a little be too much pressure on liking the guy. I usually feel uncomfortable and out of place, and often, like I owe the guy at the end of the experience.

Movies for me, are a no go. Cinema doesn't give time for talking and getting to know one another, it's more of a setting for an established relationship, or at least a date further down the line. And watching movies at home - that could be okay - but there's always some nervous underlying connotations when I go to a guys house. I'm not saying anything would happen, or even either of us would want it too; but it's a little too close for comfort when getting to know one another.

I've been on a couple of dates to a bar and they've really varied; some were great, some terrible. It depends a lot on the place, and a lot on the day of the week. Mid-week evening, to a comfortable cosy bar with sofas which isn't too busy great. Friday night to a bar, not so great, it'll be crammed, you won't be able to talk much and you'll probably end up on uncomfortable bar stools.

As for a walk - I suppose this is girl dependent. It's definitely a cute idea, and some girls would love it. I mean, I like going for a short walk in the evening after a date - but the walk its self being the date; that's not really for me. Same with dancing. I'm not much of a dancer unless I'm in a club. It wouldn't be for me, but if a guy wants to maybe have a little dance after a meal or something then that's not bad.

• nature walk talk doesn't really sound like a first date to me. I feel like that would be something I would do later, once I really got to know him and knew I liked him. it's just too much for a first date to me. I chose B...it doesn't have to be fine dining but getting something to eat is always good for a first date. I'm not really into dancing or bars (I mean, I'm currently under age to drink anyway but I can't imagine I will change my mind about the bar environment in 2 years). movie is OK too but I'd rather be able to talk. :)

• I picked E.

Because you are walking..and you do not have to worry about

if food or sauce falls out of your mouth or something haha. I

have MAJOR anxiety about that. I also try to be extremely neat

and proper when I am out.

Also, you aren't exactly staring at each other when you are walking..

and for me, it can be awkward sometimes if they continuously stare at me..

I guess, it is because, when I get nervous, I do not like to look at people...

lol..I tend to look away a lot and stuff. But, if we are walking side by side or something..

that wouldn't really happen..Unless, there was a romantic kiss that randomly happened. haha.

Not to mention, nature..and the outdoors..you are up and moving..and it would be much more

private and relaxing to be with someone..You do not have to worry about other people listening in..and etc. :D

• Movies aren't great for first dates because you can't really get to know the person. Dancing is a little bit the same- you can talk more than you can at a movie, but there's still music and movement that could be distracting. Also, that's a lot of stress and pressure to go dancing with someone you don't know well. Suddenly how well you feel the date is going will depend on how well you think you're dancing. I'd freak out, personally.

Fine dining would be my second choice. But going for a walk is more relaxed. You can really be yourself and talk without worrying about restaurant etiquette on top of just being normally polite and nice. You don't have to stress over what to order, who's paying, whether you'll get spinach in your teeth, etc. There's a lot more freedom and fewer things to worry about. It's also just really romantic to be outdoors that way.

Of course, you've gotta eat together sometime. But I think keeping the focus off food to begin with (even if you do grab a casual bite on that first date) is a good way to go. Plus you're DOING something, not just staring at each other the whole time.

• Dancing! A lot of people feel self-conscious about dancing, so if a guy was willing to go dancing with me it would make me think he was confident, and not afraid to act silly.

• It's like this I picked c because of the fact that dancing is a great icebreaker, and allows you to be silly and throw it all out there, but naturewalk and fine dining would definitely get my attention as well, I'm just one of those girls who is down for anything, except for that dreaded "kicking it" on a first date that is a very bad idea, save that for if you actually end up boyfriend gf.

• For a first date I think dancing would be an amazing ice breaker, not to mention that you'll be able to get a glimpse into your potential sexual compatibility!

• Definitely something where we can talk and get to know each other. So movie is out. And dinner/lunch is also out. People are NEVER attractive when they're eating and chewing. Not great for a first date where you want to make a good impression on someone. Dancing/Bar doesn't do it for me either. Those are things I would rather do later on in the relationship with a group of friends. It's not fun dancing or drinking when it's just the two of you.

What would work for me, is an afternoon where we spend a few hours in a museum, walking around, talking about art and ourselves. If we run into awkward silences, we can comment on the paintings. Then afterward, we could get ice cream or coffee and a light desert. There's this fabulous chocolate cafe in the city where I live. That would be nice. Low key, no pressure, lots of talking and getting to know each other, and activity.

• I picked dancing. But real dancing, like two-stepping. If a guy is confident enough to go on the dance floor in front of everyone and not care if they make a few mistakes, I think that says a lot. Then maybe going out to eat. Somewhere nice enough that would require us to dress up, but not so nice that I could feel awkward ordering a beer in a bottle.

• I like the idea of doing something fun and engaging, go-kart racing, a fair, really anything that involves doing some kind of activity that helps me and the person sort of bond. Plus it is always good to see that the other person knows how to have fun and enjoy themselves.

• i think food is the best way to go because its not super awkward since you're not alone there's other people around and you can always strike up a good convo whereas a movie is quiet and you don't get to talk much and you just feel nervous you don't know if you should hold her hand or what, somewhere casual like a restaurant or walking in the park is the best where other people are around

• Dancing! I love to dance, and I mean for real...not grinding. I feel like it says a lot about a person without them actually saying anything ;)

But... if he doesn't like dancing then a Nature walk would be cool cause I like the outdoorsy type :)

• Dancing! Shake it up, burn some calories, get healthy!

• Bowling and playing pool may be fun too. It keeps you moving. I find with movement/something exciting going on, it's easier to talk and laugh and if you can make each other laugh on the first date then 'score'!

• Nature Walk/Talk gives one on one time which is perfect on a first date, that way a relationship can be established. If you're in a movie, you can't talk, and dinners can be awkward because if you have nothing to talk about, you have to wait until the dinner is over with.

• by dancing, please don't mean clubbing but other other than that I think it very much depends on the girl

• Definitely dining out then afterward if the date goes well you can take a stroll in a nearby park...it gives you time to talk and get to know your guy

• beach ! :D

• Food is always a good first date.

I went on a first date to a museum once, which was actually pretty awesome.

I did the nature walk thing on a second or third date, that was pretty good, too.

• MINI GOLF :)

dinner- so you can talk then a near by park or you could set up little a picnik

i woud be impressed, it shows you care and you want to know her better

sweetest thing ever!

• I like casual things, plain and simple things. Like I think going to a near by pond to feed ducks is an awesome first date idea.

• I like that idea! I love feeding ducks but never thought of it as a date idea.

• I say C but not clubs slow dancing. :)

• something other than drinking and dancing... nature walk and food. voted E

• I like little lounges where you can have a couple drinks, take the edge off and just talk. Don't get hammered or anything like that, just a chill night. Best way to get to know each other and be comfortable with one another.. So I voted D

• fine dining and a nature walk!

• I voted for E =D

• I said fine dining, but I actually think that we could go get PHO for like, 6 bucks and that would be neat.

or coffee.

as long as there's food that I can put in my mouth instead of talking if things get awkward.

• Nature walk its free, and you can talk about anything and hold hands.

• ...paintballing... or laser tag. I don't know something super active and fun...so I don't have to dress up haha

• I'd like to go dancing since I LOVE to dance:)

• More from Girls
    22

What Guys Said 8

• You know, my dad once took a French girl out for drinks. She expected that he was going to pay for everything right off the bat. He let her drink as much as she wanted and then skipped out so he didn't have to pay her tab. I think he married my stepmom because she offered to pay but he wouldn't let her.

I tend to be similar, I don't mind throwing some money into a date, but only if the girl doesn't expect me to. My classic is the movie that I'll pay for, then a cup of coffee or something, followed by a good long walk where we both get lost and if the mood is right I'll kiss the girl in the light of the moon. But if she doesn't at least offer to pay, then she can go f*** herself ^^

• Nature walk talk for sure... I'm very outdoorsy so that'd be great haha. Plus I want to get to know her right away. It all depends on the type type of girl though!

Not a movie for the first date.. you sit there awkwardly with her not knowing what to expect because you probably don't know much about her yet.

Fine dining... ahh maybe. I wouldn't want to dress up and get an expensive meal for a first date though... it's gotta be more casual.

Dancing... not a first date haha.

Bar... if the girl is outgoing enough then that could be a possible first date location!

• Oh I didn't see "GALS" in the title... my bad haha.

• I know this is intended for 'Gals' but I would like to go out walking somewhere especially if it's nice chilly weather. That's just the best.

• I like the Nature walk Talk as it is a very laid back atmosphere, is a more interesting enviorment than a restaurant or bar, and unlike a movie where you can't really talk it is perfect for getting to know each other, Dancing I think is a good 2nd date as it might be a bit awkward innitiating phyical contact so early.

• A - how are you supposed to talk and learn about each other?

B - Don't spend that much for a first date...

C - Can be good, but, again, how are you supposed to talk well and learn about each other?

D - Can be good for talking if not a LOUD bar, but most suck and others will probably try hitting on her, so no.

E - Best of the list to learn about each other and talk, but boring to me so I don't know if I could choose this myself, but of the list it's the best.

• Okay a movie AND fine dining.

And sex.

• First dates need to allow for general talking. You can't talk during a movie (you can but it's rude to). You can talk during a dinner (but if you don't have good manners, then you shouldn't be going to dinner). You can talk while dancing, but dancing is more about physical movement and almost seems as if it'd be a little too much for a FIRST date, in my opinion, of course. You could talk at a bar, but it's usually noisy and hard to hear. So I chose E.

• E. Definately