Should I text guy from dating site?

I met a guy on this site, but I don't know what to do. Should I text him or not? The internet is full of wackos, and I don't want to be talking to a 50 year old pedophile while thinking he's a young guy.

Should I talk to him or not?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure you should talk to him.

If you decide to meet with him, make sure it is in a public area.

• I can't meet him, we live in different provinces. I want to text him, but at same time I don't because I don't want to be harrassed by texts from him if he does that.

• Well, let him know that is something you usually never give out (but could possibly when you feel comfortable enough.) If he can't accept that then he isn't worth it.

What Guys Said 5

• I wouldn't do that. Chatting with them is one thing, but forming a personal relationship is another. I would hate it if I was actually talking to some old crazy lady :p

• I'M NOT FIFTY!

:( :( :(

XD

• I wouldn't. He could be anyone and once he has your number he might keep texting and end up being annoying or creepy. If he wants to chat do it through here.

• Like the other guy said, you two should get on a webcam with each other to prove that you are what you say you are. At the very least, you could take a picture with a piece of paper with a specific message on it and send it to each other.

Also, you don't have to worry about pedophiles talking to you. You are about a decade older than what they want. And, girls are in their physical prime in their late teens through their twenties so it's not weird for guys of any age to be attracted to you.

• How would you do webcam? Do I have to skype or something?

• I've never done it, so I'm the best person to ask. You could use Skype, Google Talk, Camfrog, or whatever else. I think they're all free for one one one video chat rooms.

• Why does the extent of your relationship have to jump from messaging on a website to texting on a phone? If you're unsure of who "he" really is then ask him to appear on webcam for you so you can be sure he isn't some old pedophile or what have you.

Also, I'm sure you're well aware, but always be very careful about giving people you meet online personal details about yourself such as your phone number, address, full name, etc. If you decide to meet him do so in a public place like a mall or coffee shop and even bring a friend.

• how would you talk on webcam? Would I have to add him to MSN or something?

• You could use MSN, Skype or any other video chatting software. Again, something safe you could do is create a new MSN account just to talk to this guy. If he turns out to be mr wonderful then you can tell him something like you're changing your email and just give him your regular one. However, if he turns out to be mr crazy then you just never use that account again.

What Girls Said 6

• From everyone's comments and your answers, you're seeking of people's perspective on this. You have on one hand, the really want to keep talking to this guy because well how else would you find out if he's a pedophile? On the other hand, you have some idea there are consequences for pursuing the truth but probably never was exposed in words of why it's not smart or safe to figure out the truth.

To answer your question from observing what you've been discussing with people, you should NOT give him your phone number. Even though he's being honest by saying he will lose interest, a person giving an ultimatum is not a good characteristic for this situation. You two barely know each other and he's already trying to form an obligation to the relationship.

He should respect that you are uneasy of the idea for your own safety, it's his loss if he takes it personally. Also you may not know but it's harder to get rid of a guy who knows where you live or your phone number compared to changing emails or screen names online.

Follow your intuition that it was fishy to trust him with your number. It's not a problem that you couldn't find the right logic/words to your sense of caution at first. Part of you just wants to trust him because you enjoy his company and it's more positive that way. Some people are rude because they hate naivety.

• Msg him on here... or exchange G+'s or FB's...

• I have been talking to him on here.

• I guess not. He says he'll lose interest soon if I don't text him. I want to keep talking to him, but I don't know.

• if he'll lose interest that easily, it won't take long after he has your number.. probably about 20 min after he's gotten, or determined he will never get, nude pics from you...

• Lol, do you even know him that well? I wouldn't advise giving your number out.

• No I don't know him. That's why I'm hesitant to text him. But he says he won't be as interested if I don't talk to him soon.

• He's a douche, then. He's just trying to pressure you into giving out your number. If I were you, I'd block/delete him and be done with it.

• Start with emailing..

• I have. I have been talking to him on here through the messages thing. He gave me his number to text him though.

• If he seems real.. Go for it.

• i guess so. but you're taking a risk and no one can promise you anything

• Me and my boyfriend ended up meeting online. When I decided I wanted to meet him in person we met at an applebees so there were a lot of people around.I also waited in my car where I could see the front door so I could bail if he turned out to be somebody different. Plus I told by friend where I was going and gave her his number just in case I didn't text after our date.

• I'm not meeting him in person, he just wants me to text him.