How to tell someone no?

Ok, I was asked by a Freshman boy to go to homecoming. I've known him since he was five years old and we're really good friends but there is no way that I would ever date him. I was really shocked by this and I told him "yes" becuase I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Is there anyway that I can tell him 'no' without breaking his heart? Or is it too late?

He backed out anyways. He just a calender for his hockey games and one of his biggest games lands on homecoming. Guess I don't have to worry.

Most Helpful Guy

• xD. just because you're going to homecoming, doesn't mean you guys are a couple lol.

as for breaking it off nicely- there aren't many choices... such as coming up with an excuse not to go to homecoming at all, but I don't think you want to miss your homecoming. otherwise I'm afraid its too late.

• Usually in our school, if you go with someone to homecoming, you become a couple a day or two later :s

• whoah... really? xD. at my school half the couples are friends and then almost a majority of the people go stag...

you may want to clarify with him that you are going as friends, but do it gently.

What Guys Said 3

• You should've said no right away. He'll feel bad because you said yes at first and then suddenly changed your mind. He won't understand why you changed your mind. Just explain him what you explained to us and try to keep it as friendly as possible and try to make him understand you didn't expect him to ask you out and said yes without really thinking. But the chance you'll break his heart will be pretty big.

• I think it's too late. Taking it back now will be so mean.

• If you already said yes, there's really no way to tell him no without crushing him. Homecoming isn't that big of a deal, but if you really don't want to go with him, "breaking his heart" is really the only thing you can do.

What Girls Said 2

• honestly I'd just go with him. you don't have to date him but since you already agreed to go it would probably really crush him if you backed out of it. it's only for 1 night, just go as friends

• Just go with him. It's only Homecoming...you might actually have a good time. Going to a HC dance together doesn't mean two people are a couple.