Have you given up on dating and relationships?

And why have you given up? Is it because of experiences, believes or something else? Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I've never had a boyfriend and I don't think that's just going to change all of a sudden. It would be stupid of me to put so much time and effort into something that I know isn't going to work out. People these days don't want relationships anyway. You guys want instant gratification, something like FWB, and that's not how I roll. I'm more into real committed relationships and it doesn't seem like that's what guys my age are into. I'm not totally happy being alone but I guess that's what will have to happen. Thanks a lot hookup culture.

• not every guy is like that your just using that as an excuse to justify you being single and to feel better about it. excuses excuses excuses.

• in college people want serious relationships your probably just thinking about the people who like to party ... look elsewhere.

• Oh and fyi I'm in a fraternity and all the guys have serious relationships with there girlfriends with the exception of 1 or 2 clubheads.

What Girls Said 43

• Yes I have. My last boyfriend and I broke up about 3 weeks ago. That was the final straw with me. I have been with 3 different guys this year...non of those relationships lasting more than 3 months. Every guy keeps lying to me, cheating on me, or just completely insensitive and selfish. They have all seemed perfect in the beginning then abruptly turned ice cold. Seriously no warning.

I really fell in love with my last. I honestly didn't think our relationship would end anytime soon. But it did, and I don't hurt as bad anymore. I think about it less and less each day. But I have decided to take a break because I see no need to rush into something with someone until I know for sure he is compatible with me. I will make friends... hang out. And if I happen to meet a guy then cool. But I'm tired of settling and I'm tired of being with guys who aren't willing to give their all. The problem could very well be me. Or it could just be I pick the wrong guys. But I will take this time out to figure it out. Find out what it is I need. Get my life in order, and then find a guy who can love me just how I am. I can only get my heart broken but so many times. So for the first time in my life... I'm HAPPY to be single. Iv got other things to stress about in my life and a guy just isn't one of them

• Yes I have.

Because right now I'm just not in that place.

I don't want to be with anyone new. I want to be left alone. I don't like people invading my personal space right now. I'm quite happy just being alone.

• Yes, I've given up because every guy I've ever met has found a way to hurt me even before we were in a relationship. So I figure the best way to not get hurt is to stay single. And I've never had boyfriend because of this.

• Yes! People seem to have lost pride and respect for themselves. I hate that some will date just to date. Sure, I've been lonely at times, but why do that? I hope my ex isn't the last of my dating days, but who knows. Good luck to every one looking, but don't settle for less.

• No. I'm not the type to ever give up

• Not permanently! Just for the time being...I can't imagine going through life without a companion to grow old with me!

• I like someone but I've wanted to give up every day for six months because he's so shy and I think about him all the time... I can't let go though :P

• I'm giving up because I keep getting cheated on so why give my heart if they only want to throw me away?

• For what it's worth, we're not all like that. There really are some good guys out there in the world; we're just not always the ones that are trying to be front and centre. But we are out there.

• I just want someone who is actually there as much as me. I just don't understand why I'm only good enough for a month then they cheat and drop me.

• I have said over and over again that I was going to give up but something inside me still know that there is hope. I am not the judgmental type and I feel if I completely give up I would be judging another man for the actions of someone else. Besides, I don't want to be alone. I think everyone has their moments of frustration, however, that all passes when we meet someone we like. And the cycle continues...

• in a way yes. I've just came to accept that most men are not going to be worth my time and not to look for a relationship just let it come to me if it does

• I've experienced a great relationship, and one recently that almost made me lose trust in all men... but it's the great relationship I've experienced that keeps me from giving up. It's not a priority right now. I enjoy being single and free for now, but I know that I'll find someone eventually. We'll find each other n_n

• Yeah. Plus I can't afford one right now.

• Nah. Might be because I'm in my first relationship ever and we're just two months in, you know, butterflies still fluttering and all that.

• Yes because I like casual sex

• Interesting. I have a question for you: Since you mentioned that you like casual sex. How do you like guys to approach towards a fling or a no strings attached relationship. Do you like guys to be upfront about it without any runarounds?

• I prefer people who are upfront

• All right, that is what i tought. Thanks

• yes forever alone

• NEVER! :D

• I always seem to be the one to get my heart broken, especially becoming the "understanding girl" rather than the girlfriend.

• I have not given up. I am just chilling till I find the right guy

• Yes honestly. I've been single for almost two years. I can't take another broken heart. I'm young though so I can just have fun now and think about relationships later or whenever it pops up.

• No, not at all.

It's just not one of my priorities right now. I enjoy being single :)

• Man! At your age, no way!

I am about to. I find that men my age are...how can I say this? Liars, set in their ways, cheaters, etc. If they aren't, they are married & I don't go there.

• I hate being in a relationship actually. I don't like commitment, and it always seems like a waste of time. Until I get older I will keep that opinion.

• I haven't.

• Almost ready to give up guys why? Because all they've brought me is heart break confusion and anger and that's all from ONE guy! :(

• I can't be bothered anymore. I started asking myself whether it was something I really wanted and it wasn't. It doesn't make me unhappy. What would make me unhappy is searching for something that may never appear. There's more to life in my opinion.

• I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same

• I have not given up on dating and relationships. I think romantic relationships can consist of trial and error and it's a learning process both people go through (unless you get married then you are pretty much settled down.)

• i almost will

• I've given up big time. Mostly by religious reasons and differences.

• I gave up for a year. I was engaged and planning out wedding. He was out cheating on me. So I took time away from dating to heal myself and get my confidence back. Now I started again and met an amazing guy :)

• More from Girls
    13

What Guys Said 52

• I'm burnt out with it because the girls I go for won't give me a chance. I really was hung out to dry by my last two girls which still hurts. I wouldn't have minded if they were just up front with me in the first place. I'm about to the point of not believing in magic anymore. I'm trying to keep my head up but a lack of experiences and a lack of any body language will do that for me. I'd kill to have a stable relationship in my "youth'", but I just turned 23 and my longest relationship was 3months. Is there anything I can do to possibly improve that or help sway my mind from dwelling on it too long?

• Part of me feels that (to give up) but part of me says to hold out and have the faith that someone would be there just fo me. I am 34 now and my past relationships didn't last long enough for me to be worthwhile. My last potential partner for example didn't want to live in my country so we had to break it off. It was completely mutual so we remained friends for now. Friendships is more important to me now including any new people I might meet. If it works out only then will I consider a proper relationship...

• the truth is I don't know yet if I should just give up or not yet so for now I don't know yet because so far looks like it's true that all nice guys and good guys finish last I know I'm unattractive, I know I'm super skinny guy,i know I'm a nice good person,i know maybe I'm weak but I will train if I choose to,I'm 23 and I still live with my parents and I've heard to some girls and some women it's a turn off bottom line I don't know if I should just give up yes I'm saying I don't know yet I've been cheated on,lied to,I've been betrayed,and worst of all I've been back stabbed and she broke my heart.And I don't know if I can trust women and girls so for now I don't know if I should give up yet I hope this answers your question and if you got anything to ask me or if you got any questions you like to ask me feel free to ask me and I will see if I can answer your question.

• i do however have confidenece and I do believe in myself it's just looks like some girls and some women killed chivalry

• Just be social be yourself and once you find a girl that interests you and you believe she won't hurt you go for it.

• I have given up. Part of it is kind of complicated, and I don't want to share that part. The other reasons are mainly because I have never really had a lot of friends. I am shy, and was never a popular student. By the time I got to high school, almost everybody I knew had a boyfriend/girlfriend, or has at least gone through making out, and stuff like that (from Facebook pictures). I am now 21, 3rd year of college, and I have never kissed, been kissed, or even gone on a date. My parents and grandparents are upset about that, but I decided to forget about it, and simply stay single forever. I have plans for my future, and I don't need a girl to be in it. By the way, my parents recently had another baby (She is exactly 20 years younger), and I think it's because they finally realized that I am not going to get married and have kids, so they created another one to have a chance of becoming grandparents someday.

• No, I haven't given up. I've had my heart broken a bunch of times, and it certainly has shaken my confidence in myself, but I'm a hopeless romantic; I'll put my heart back on the line if it means I may find that special someone.

• I am semi-giving up because girls always look to have fun in college. They always go out and eat, spend money, going to this and that place all around town, partying, and so forth. I don't have that kind of money to provide a girl to do all that. And also, I can't drive freeways yet, so that already end a lot of things I can do with a girl. I can't afford a girlfriend financially. And second they are a bit too shallow right now. They only like the party and frat guys. At least for the ones I find attractive are like that. Yes I heard it all, it's not about looks. I don't even pay attention to the girls who are rated 9s and 10s as many would call it. I don't pay too much attention to the 8s either, as many would rate as well.

• yep gave up a long time ago, been probably 10-12 years now I think, starting to lose track.

I've tried casual dating and just hooking up but its not for me. What I want is a real relationship with a woman but women only seem to want that if you are able to somehow live up to a fairy tale standard about men they were fed while still a child. sadly most women never grow up =(

• True - too many women have unrealistic expectations of men.

While a lot of men have unrealistic "physical" expectations of women, it's not the same abundance of the number of women who crave that "fairy tale standard".

• yeah that's very true, I think physically attractive women are a dime a dozen tho, I think the guys who only like women who look like they should be in the movies suffer from insecurity issues. I could be wrong tho.

• I'm starting to give up. After 2 years of being turned down you start to lose hope. But I refuse to completely give up. Its like the old saying of you get out what you put in. If you put no effort into getting a relationship than you'll never have one. But unfortunately if you try to hard it can be bad

• I have and then I have not.

I have given up on chasing woman, spending money and dating people just to have another failed relationship and car added to my history. So instead of worrying about who I'm with and what everyone else thinks I'm doing what I care about first. And one day if I meet that one person I will gladly give it a chance. To me this is much better then wasting all your time trying to make someone else who really does not give a sh*t happy. Getting trapped always chasing others will leave you in the end with nothing.

Look at the divorce rates, people just don't give an ass about anyone but themselves, I rather stay single enjoying life then being used. I learned this the hard way.

• I haven't given up on dating and relationships, but I am not focused on them at the moment. I am way too busy to be involved with a girl right now. I'm at university full time and working part time to support myself and that's how all my time is spent. I don't know when and how I will meet a girl with my circumstances. I don't know that many girls anyway.

Also, the idea of dating and relationships has lost its appeal to me. I am surrounded by girls who just want flings and one night stands and no strings attached sex and that's just not me. I am and always have been into committed relationships even though I have never had a girlfriend.

I should have given up already but something keeps telling me to hang on to hope that one day I will meet someone who I like who also likes me back. After being rejected by every girl you ask out it makes your confidence and self-esteem hit rock bottom.

• Quitters never win

• nice line dude that's my teachers line he said winners never quit and quitters never win anyway so you know if you check my answer out like I said I haven't decided should I just give up or not yet

• not quiting =/= winning

false logic fail.

• Technically, all that was said that 'not quitting' is a necessary condition for winning (true). What you call a logic fail would be to say that 'not quitting' is a necessary AND sufficient condition for winning, which I don't believe has been said (and is indeed false).

• To say I 'gave up' would imply I ever tried at all.

I just don't see myself as the type of guy that would ever be successful in relationships, so I removed myself from the proverbial game. I'm fully aware that I only have myself to blame, so I expect and deserve no sympathy for this stance.

• Yup I give up

• I did for a while. I needed to work on myself and improve, I wasn't happy with myself at all so why would I expect someone else to be happy with me.

• Well not exactly given up , I just don't really believe in love/relationships and I just take my chances to have some nice time with whoever I like and feel like I can have a nice time with without us being in any kind of labeled connection .. Just wasting time and all ...

• I've never been in a relationship and thought I have seen how pretty much all of my friends relationships and relationships on here have ended badly. I still have hope for myself and the girl out there. Right now (being in college) most guys and girls (I know of) aren't looking for a committed relationship. I am. Thus, in the mean time I will figure out myself and wait for 'this girl' to come along. I have been hurt by girls in the past but I will not let that get to me. I mean it's illogical to believe that all girls will act just like this one girl that gave you a hard time.

The best thing you can do is treat them how you would like to be treated because then you have no one else to blame but yourself. I think people should be more considerate of others instead of having this 'you only live once' attitude.

But what if she doesn't ever come along? Then I can have the satisfaction that I am a good guy for the sake of being a good guy

• I don't know yet. I'm only 20 so that's not old enough to decide if you want to call it quits or not, even though I haven't even started dating. I just accepted the fact that women are just not interested in me physically at the moment, considering all the already stable, good looking men out there, why should I even bother? I'm in college full-time, work seasonal jobs, and have already gotten used to women not being interested in me, to the point where I don't even look anymore. It really sucks knowing your genes are inferior to everyone else's including my friends, but I'm gonna ride this life thing out and see where it takes me.

• YOU FOOL! Girls don't care about looks they care about who you are on the inside. That is what attracts them to guys. I'm often considered a "Good looking" guy, but not even I can get a girlfriend!

• Well when almost every single girl I've approached has winced at the sight of even looking at me, I'm gonna say that your comment isn't totally true. I've tried dressing well, exercising, grooming well, and as much as I try to make the best of what I have, I still can't fix my grill.

• Instead of trying to fix your appearance improve on what you have, A brain.

• No. That's why I'm on GAG, because I wasn't ready to give up.

• Yeah pretty much. It seems like girls around my age are only interested in one type of guys and clearly I'm not it, so I might as well give up for now. And even if I get a girl to talk to me, she always ends up picking another guy instead.

• ive never dated or had a relationship with anyone. yea I'm one of those people -_- some people call us socially awkward or introverted, but whatever the case, I am 19, in college, and have no experience. why should I waste my time chasing relationships? I don't even want to get married.

• I have. I had a bad breakup and was hurt. So I only had open things for a while. Was a good experience.

• Never giving up. Just taking an indefinite break until someone comes along that makes me want to give it a try.

• yup, for the moment at least. got my heart crushed, walls went up and now its nearly impossible to be vulnerable with anyone

• got tired of being rejected, got tired of getting my advances denied

• Yes, I have. After hearing how horrible and one-sided relationships can be. I'm focusing on my life goals mostly. Maybe I'll have a relationship one day, but its more of a "if it happens, great, if it doesn't, no big deal" type of thing, but I will not be used.

• For now I have. Partially its because I don't really have time for it with work and school. Mostly its because I don't really think its ever going to happen. Seems like most girls my age (24) are superficial and only look at looks matter. I know that not all are like that. Seems like the down to earth ones are already taken.

• I've almost given up.. I think to myself I turn 28 this year and 2 more years I will be 30 and never been on any dates nor had a relationship so what's the point? Most if not all girls here in Connecticut are superficial and it shows.

• 1-3-2-4. You have been meeting the wrong girls in Connecticut not all the girls are superficial

• I'm just getting started ;)

• Nope... haven't given up in the slightest. :-P

• Yes I guess it's safe to say I have. At age 47 if it hasn't happened by now I'd say it's safe to say it won't either.

• More from Guys
    22