Have you given up on dating and relationships?

And why have you given up? Is it because of experiences, believes or something else? Thanks!

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Yes. I've never had a boyfriend and I don't think that's just going to change all of a sudden. It would be stupid of me to put so much time and effort into something that I know isn't going to work out. People these days don't want relationships anyway. You guys want instant gratification, something like FWB, and that's not how I roll. I'm more into real committed relationships and it doesn't seem like that's what guys my age are into. I'm not totally happy being alone but I guess that's what will have to happen. Thanks a lot hookup culture.

• Oh and fyi I'm in a fraternity and all the guys have serious relationships with there girlfriends with the exception of 1 or 2 clubheads.

• in college people want serious relationships your probably just thinking about the people who like to party ... look elsewhere.

• She is right and I feel the same way +1

• Show Older

What Girls Said 34

• 24d

Yes honestly. I've been single for almost two years. I can't take another broken heart. I'm young though so I can just have fun now and think about relationships later or whenever it pops up.

I've sort of given up on dating and relationships. A lot of my couple friends I know because they're significant other was my friend before the fact. I tend to just sit around and be happy for my friends as much as I can.

• Almost ready to give up guys why? Because all they've brought me is heart break confusion and anger and that's all from ONE guy! :(

• Man! At your age, no way!

I am about to. I find that men my age are...how can I say this? Liars, set in their ways, cheaters, etc. If they aren't, they are married & I don't go there.

• I always seem to be the one to get my heart broken, especially becoming the "understanding girl" rather than the girlfriend.

• yes forever alone

• in a way yes. I've just came to accept that most men are not going to be worth my time and not to look for a relationship just let it come to me if it does

• I have not given up on dating and relationships. I think romantic relationships can consist of trial and error and it's a learning process both people go through (unless you get married then you are pretty much settled down.)

• never been in a relationship...dont care about getting into 1 anymore.and I am glad that I feel this way ..i live for myself...dont feel the urge to impress any1..gave me boost of confidence.

• I've experienced a great relationship, and one recently that almost made me lose trust in all men... but it's the great relationship I've experienced that keeps me from giving up. It's not a priority right now. I enjoy being single and free for now, but I know that I'll find someone eventually. We'll find each other n_n

• I like someone but I've wanted to give up every day for six months because he's so shy and I think about him all the time... I can't let go though :P

• I have not given up. I am just chilling till I find the right guy

• Not permanently! Just for the time being...I can't imagine going through life without a companion to grow old with me!

• I'm giving up because I keep getting cheated on so why give my heart if they only want to throw me away?

• I just want someone who is actually there as much as me. I just don't understand why I'm only good enough for a month then they cheat and drop me.

• For what it's worth, we're not all like that. There really are some good guys out there in the world; we're just not always the ones that are trying to be front and centre. But we are out there.

• I haven't.

• NEVER! :D

• I believe that everyone goes through this stage when they just give up on ever finding love but ya know for every bad experiences you have you learn a new lesson about love and relationships.

• I have in the past. I gave it up for 4 years. They were happy years too. So it's not like we need someone to make us happy. I gave it up because of so many bad experiences. I am dating again and of course had some bad experiences but right now I am dating this amazing guy and I really like him. I just wish he could see how awsome he is but that is OK because maybe if he knew what a great catch he is he would turn into a douche bag and not be such a great catch anymore.

• Yes! People seem to have lost pride and respect for themselves. I hate that some will date just to date. Sure, I've been lonely at times, but why do that? I hope my ex isn't the last of my dating days, but who knows. Good luck to every one looking, but don't settle for less.

• Ya...I've been cheated on, lead on, told by the guy that he's out of my league...I kinda gave up...

• I'm trying not to. I would like to give up: I got hurt. It was when I was getting comfortable with myself. I had a sense of humor. and I was content with how I looked. Then, I fell head over heels over this guy who surprisingly seemed to be into me...but it turns out he just needed someone/anyone who would run errands for him. and I got used and abused pretty much for a year until I realized it (cuz I was really into him). and then I couldn't even recall anything he had done for me. It's not fun to realize that all he said for a year was actually b.s. and that for a whole year, I was stupid enough not to see it.

It was my first relationship so my confidence went down the drain. My sense of humor just became non-existent. I couldn't bear to look myself in the mirror, literally.

I know I can't stay this forever so I'm trying to be more social, trying to find myself again. The world is a little darker than I had imagined but I feel like I need to fight for hope. I'm trying but it's really difficult to be optimistic.

• I've given up. I dated a guy about a year ago, and he destroyed my trust in all guys. Every time I get in a relationship now I pull away or break up with the person because I just don't want a relationship anymore.

• Yes I have. My last boyfriend and I broke up about 3 weeks ago. That was the final straw with me. I have been with 3 different guys this year...non of those relationships lasting more than 3 months. Every guy keeps lying to me, cheating on me, or just completely insensitive and selfish. They have all seemed perfect in the beginning then abruptly turned ice cold. Seriously no warning.

I really fell in love with my last. I honestly didn't think our relationship would end anytime soon. But it did, and I don't hurt as bad anymore. I think about it less and less each day. But I have decided to take a break because I see no need to rush into something with someone until I know for sure he is compatible with me. I will make friends... hang out. And if I happen to meet a guy then cool. But I'm tired of settling and I'm tired of being with guys who aren't willing to give their all. The problem could very well be me. Or it could just be I pick the wrong guys. But I will take this time out to figure it out. Find out what it is I need. Get my life in order, and then find a guy who can love me just how I am. I can only get my heart broken but so many times. So for the first time in my life... I'm HAPPY to be single. Iv got other things to stress about in my life and a guy just isn't one of them

• I have not given up all together but I have for now I have gone back into education full time and I'm also a mum and really don't have the time and also don't see it as an important thing right now dating is also not all that easy and I have come across a good few wrong ones that I have given my time to so right now I can't be asked

• i almost will

• No. I'm not the type to ever give up

• Yes I have.

Because right now I'm just not in that place.

I don't want to be with anyone new. I want to be left alone. I don't like people invading my personal space right now. I'm quite happy just being alone.

• Yeah. Plus I can't afford one right now.

• "Can't afford one"?

That's a guy's line LOL

• I have said over and over again that I was going to give up but something inside me still know that there is hope. I am not the judgmental type and I feel if I completely give up I would be judging another man for the actions of someone else. Besides, I don't want to be alone. I think everyone has their moments of frustration, however, that all passes when we meet someone we like. And the cycle continues...

• yea I've never had a true boyfriend, just love interests and they didn't work out, mainly one guy who played games with me led me on made me fall in love with him then decided he didn't wanna be with me because his family wouldn't approve...went through depression and heartache and haven't been able to forget him

my social life also sucks I haven't been able to meet many guys at all and with the way my life is going no job financial trouble stress trying to go to grad school I just don't think ill find anyone.

• awww thanks babe :) I wish the best for you as well! I can't wait till grad school is over ha ha <3

• Ur life sounds similar 2 mine. Grad school is a beast isn't it? Grad school = no social life/sleep,if you look it up lol. The guy I was dating said his family wouldn't approve either. Racist. With the economy the way it is 1 can get depressed. All in all, I have developed tunnel vision, grad school will be over in 1 yr, I will find someone who will B right 4me instead of crying over spoil milk. Its hard to be optimistic but just remember all the times you felt like this and survived. It won't B 4eva :)

• Yes, I've given up because every guy I've ever met has found a way to hurt me even before we were in a relationship. So I figure the best way to not get hurt is to stay single. And I've never had boyfriend because of this.

• ^ she thinks he's hot dude.

• Why do you have a pic of a man if you are a girl?

• No, I'm just not interested.

• lol Whatever!

• Hahaha

• lesbo if you not interested.

• It's just side-tracked now :)

• No, not at all.

It's just not one of my priorities right now. I enjoy being single :)

What Guys Said 50

• I've almost given up.. I think to myself I turn 28 this year and 2 more years I will be 30 and never been on any dates nor had a relationship so what's the point? Most if not all girls here in Connecticut are superficial and it shows.

• No, I haven't given up. I've had my heart broken a bunch of times, and it certainly has shaken my confidence in myself, but I'm a hopeless romantic; I'll put my heart back on the line if it means I may find that special someone.

• Kind of yea. Of course I just went on a date the other day so my will wasn't strong enough.

• Yeah I've given up. When you reach 24, have a degree and you're still are not good enough to get a date with a girl you realize you never will.

• I'm starting to give up. After 2 years of being turned down you start to lose hope. But I refuse to completely give up. Its like the old saying of you get out what you put in. If you put no effort into getting a relationship than you'll never have one. But unfortunately if you try to hard it can be bad

• NEVER...

... because I've never had a single date in my whole life.

• I havn't even though I feel your pain.

• Nope, I still have hope that somebody will come along and make my life better. :\

• yeah at this point pretty much

• Cuz none of these damn relationships seem 2 last

• I've never been in a relationship and thought I have seen how pretty much all of my friends relationships and relationships on here have ended badly. I still have hope for myself and the girl out there. Right now (being in college) most guys and girls (I know of) aren't looking for a committed relationship. I am. Thus, in the mean time I will figure out myself and wait for 'this girl' to come along. I have been hurt by girls in the past but I will not let that get to me. I mean it's illogical to believe that all girls will act just like this one girl that gave you a hard time.

The best thing you can do is treat them how you would like to be treated because then you have no one else to blame but yourself. I think people should be more considerate of others instead of having this 'you only live once' attitude.

But what if she doesn't ever come along? Then I can have the satisfaction that I am a good guy for the sake of being a good guy

• Never giving up. Just taking an indefinite break until someone comes along that makes me want to give it a try.

• nice user name

“This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls/Guys will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters/brothers make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too. And babe, I hate to say it, most of them - actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can't give up because if you give up, you'll never find your soul mate. You'll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.” - Marilyn Monroe

• Yes, I have. After hearing how horrible and one-sided relationships can be. I'm focusing on my life goals mostly. Maybe I'll have a relationship one day, but its more of a "if it happens, great, if it doesn't, no big deal" type of thing, but I will not be used.

• I have and then I have not.

I have given up on chasing woman, spending money and dating people just to have another failed relationship and car added to my history. So instead of worrying about who I'm with and what everyone else thinks I'm doing what I care about first. And one day if I meet that one person I will gladly give it a chance. To me this is much better then wasting all your time trying to make someone else who really does not give a sh*t happy. Getting trapped always chasing others will leave you in the end with nothing.

Look at the divorce rates, people just don't give an ass about anyone but themselves, I rather stay single enjoying life then being used. I learned this the hard way.

• I've never really started, so I can't give up quite yet lol!

• I'm just getting started ;)

• In a way yea. I really haven't given up but I just don't even try anymore.

Mostly because dating is just a pointless waste of 1-20 months of my teenage life. And I don't really care too much for getting my heart broken 100 times in my natural life.

• Never thought I'd see so many yeses. But then again, sometimes you just need to take some time off in order to focus your attention elsewhere.

• Guess I would say yes just due to the fact I haven't been trying because it usually ends up just being time wasted.

• Not giving up just not trying.

• I don't know yet. I'm only 20 so that's not old enough to decide if you want to call it quits or not, even though I haven't even started dating. I just accepted the fact that women are just not interested in me physically at the moment, considering all the already stable, good looking men out there, why should I even bother? I'm in college full-time, work seasonal jobs, and have already gotten used to women not being interested in me, to the point where I don't even look anymore. It really sucks knowing your genes are inferior to everyone else's including my friends, but I'm gonna ride this life thing out and see where it takes me.

• Instead of trying to fix your appearance improve on what you have, A brain.

• Well when almost every single girl I've approached has winced at the sight of even looking at me, I'm gonna say that your comment isn't totally true. I've tried dressing well, exercising, grooming well, and as much as I try to make the best of what I have, I still can't fix my grill.

• YOU FOOL! Girls don't care about looks they care about who you are on the inside. That is what attracts them to guys. I'm often considered a "Good looking" guy, but not even I can get a girlfriend!

• Part of me feels that (to give up) but part of me says to hold out and have the faith that someone would be there just fo me. I am 34 now and my past relationships didn't last long enough for me to be worthwhile. My last potential partner for example didn't want to live in my country so we had to break it off. It was completely mutual so we remained friends for now. Friendships is more important to me now including any new people I might meet. If it works out only then will I consider a proper relationship...

• Pretty much.

• Yes I guess it's safe to say I have. At age 47 if it hasn't happened by now I'd say it's safe to say it won't either.

• I am semi-giving up because girls always look to have fun in college. They always go out and eat, spend money, going to this and that place all around town, partying, and so forth. I don't have that kind of money to provide a girl to do all that. And also, I can't drive freeways yet, so that already end a lot of things I can do with a girl. I can't afford a girlfriend financially. And second they are a bit too shallow right now. They only like the party and frat guys. At least for the ones I find attractive are like that. Yes I heard it all, it's not about looks. I don't even pay attention to the girls who are rated 9s and 10s as many would call it. I don't pay too much attention to the 8s either, as many would rate as well.

• I haven't given up on dating and relationships, but I am not focused on them at the moment. I am way too busy to be involved with a girl right now. I'm at university full time and working part time to support myself and that's how all my time is spent. I don't know when and how I will meet a girl with my circumstances. I don't know that many girls anyway.

Also, the idea of dating and relationships has lost its appeal to me. I am surrounded by girls who just want flings and one night stands and no strings attached sex and that's just not me. I am and always have been into committed relationships even though I have never had a girlfriend.

I should have given up already but something keeps telling me to hang on to hope that one day I will meet someone who I like who also likes me back. After being rejected by every girl you ask out it makes your confidence and self-esteem hit rock bottom.

• yup, for the moment at least. got my heart crushed, walls went up and now its nearly impossible to be vulnerable with anyone

• To say I 'gave up' would imply I ever tried at all.

I just don't see myself as the type of guy that would ever be successful in relationships, so I removed myself from the proverbial game. I'm fully aware that I only have myself to blame, so I expect and deserve no sympathy for this stance.

• I have, but only until I can escape the Western world. I don't seem to fit in here, I feel like I don't belong.

• Same here...

• Never give up, there's always someone out there. Keep your head up. Its not the end! Your best days are ahead of you

• Yup I give up

• yep gave up a long time ago, been probably 10-12 years now I think, starting to lose track.

I've tried casual dating and just hooking up but its not for me. What I want is a real relationship with a woman but women only seem to want that if you are able to somehow live up to a fairy tale standard about men they were fed while still a child. sadly most women never grow up =(

• yeah that's very true, I think physically attractive women are a dime a dozen tho, I think the guys who only like women who look like they should be in the movies suffer from insecurity issues. I could be wrong tho.

• True - too many women have unrealistic expectations of men.

While a lot of men have unrealistic "physical" expectations of women, it's not the same abundance of the number of women who crave that "fairy tale standard".

• got tired of being rejected, got tired of getting my advances denied

• yeah I hate how us guys always have to initiate

• Aye, same man, It sucks.

• Yeah pretty much. It seems like girls around my age are only interested in one type of guys and clearly I'm not it, so I might as well give up for now. And even if I get a girl to talk to me, she always ends up picking another guy instead.

• I'm burnt out with it because the girls I go for won't give me a chance. I really was hung out to dry by my last two girls which still hurts. I wouldn't have minded if they were just up front with me in the first place. I'm about to the point of not believing in magic anymore. I'm trying to keep my head up but a lack of experiences and a lack of any body language will do that for me. I'd kill to have a stable relationship in my "youth'", but I just turned 23 and my longest relationship was 3months. Is there anything I can do to possibly improve that or help sway my mind from dwelling on it too long?

• I did for a while. I needed to work on myself and improve, I wasn't happy with myself at all so why would I expect someone else to be happy with me.

• Yes, I give up because I don't believe in love and I don't think I will get right one any soon

• Well not exactly given up , I just don't really believe in love/relationships and I just take my chances to have some nice time with whoever I like and feel like I can have a nice time with without us being in any kind of labeled connection .. Just wasting time and all ...

• Show More