Valuable lessons you've learned from past break-ups?

One valuable lesson I learned is that if you don't love yourself, everyone else will find it difficult to love you.

It taught me not to be so needy and clingy and an ass kisser to my significant other. That's a valuable thing to learn.

What have you learned from past break ups?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a great question! :)

The more abusive and harsh the relationship is, the more you learn from it. I've learned a lot myself. I left him months ago and I'm much happier now. The following are a few things from what I've learned:

1) Words are sweet but not all are true. They're most probably just sweet gestures said in a lovey dovey moment. What you have to look for is actions because, as they say, speak louder than words.

2) Don't sacrifice too much until you're sure he's worth it. The more you're willing to give yourself to someone, the less he appreciates it.

3) Don't trust people easily. Don't give your heart at once. They should learn to earn it.

4) Don't believe all the promises he says because most of them aren't going to happen.

5) Don't have high expectations because you'll get really frustrated.

6) Find happiness on your own. It doesn't depend on anyone else but you. Then, when you find it share it with other people.

and more :)

What Girls Said 12

• I've learned that if there are early signs that something isn't right...trust your gut feeling! I picked up on things early on that were signs that I chose to ignore. I ignored them because I thought "no" but then later it was all relevant! If something doesn't feel right it's because it isn't right! Furthermore, some people will say things to make you feel like they are interested but their actions show otherwise. I also learned that communication is the key. Sometimes maybe we do misinterpret and should give people the benefit of the doubt...however, we should be cautious of how to say things. Sometimes we need to give ourselves space. Sit back and think before we could say something harmful that we may regret later.

• Been there, done that. I know those feelings that something isn't right. I instead chose to ignore them because I didn't want to believe they were happening. I wanted to believe everything was OK and we were getting along great. When you don't go with that feeling, it will backfire on you.

• Don't fall for someone who doesn't care about you as much as you care about him because you're just going to end up hurt in the end

• Don't ever let whoever you're with disrespect you. If you let them do it once, they'll spend the whole relationship treating you however they want. Let your boundaries be known up front, and never compromise your own happiness for someone else. Also, if your significant other is constantly accusing you of cheating, it's most likely because they've been cheating.

• I agree with not allowing them to disrespect you. I've fallen victim to that.

• I have learned to be more patient, compassionate, supportive, what I am capable of giving and what I refuse to put up with. Most importantly, I've learned that I now know what I want and what I won't settle for...

• First, I'll say you learned the most valuable lesson of them all - one that most people find the most difficult to learn - including myself. I've learned that you should never make a person the sole focus of your life, and that it should never be that you need the person, but rather that you enjoy them in your life. You should never give your pride away (or you'll find yourself angry at yourself for a long time to come, second guessing why you did). For whatever reason (and usually there is a lesson to be learned from the relationship) you weren't meant to be. There are other who will be right.

• Not to settle or to invest too heavily in a relationship.

• always improvement for myself and also that I try to see both the positive and negatives so I can learn from it

• If someone breaks up with you, move on immediately and try not to let them ruin your self-perception or hope in maintaining a relationship with someone else. They are not worth it

• To have your own life instead of giving up everything for the one your love.

• i learned that if you show to much love and goodness the guy willl get tired of you..

• NEVER CHASE A MAN...who don't even care for you.

• 1) Always keep a positive attitude and never be down on yourself. No one wants to be with someone that they constantly have to cheer up.

2) Never take crap from anyone. If someone isn't treating you the way you deserve to be treated, then stand up for yourself.

3) Don't sacrifice a lot unless there is mutual commitment. Otherwise, when the relationship is over, you're going to feel like you have nothing left.

What Guys Said 1

• That it's possible to care deeply about someone of the opposite gender but not be in love with them :) and not to be so stubborn lol