How do I get him to open up to me?

This guy who I am really good friends with has been acting really weird and different recently. He does have this new girl and there were issues with her parents so things got hard for him for a while, but he said everything is fine now.

He still isn't himself though and I can tell something is wrong with him. I've told him before that he can tell me anything and that I'm here for him and he appreciated it. I asked him the other day if everything was OK and I could tell he was bummed because he got defensive when I asked. I'm worried about him and I know that if I can get him to talk he will tell me what's wrong, I just don't know what to say.

He tends to keep things inside and unless you manage to hit exactly what's wrong he won't talk about it. If we spoke all the time then we would be closer and I could find out and help him, but since he told me about this girl, we hardly talk anymore so I don't know what's going on in his life.

How do I get him to open up and feel comfortable enough to tell me what's wrong? I really care about him and am worried that there's a deeper issue that he needs to get out.

What Guys Said 1

• He probably has relationship problems with his girlfriend. Either that, or something is wrong with his life.

I've been in that situation before. But honestly telling a close friend really didn't help. I knew what I had to do. My friends could give me advice on what to do, and I wouldn't take it. I already had it figured out, but just needed to take action.

You want him to open up to you? Don't force it. It's gotta be more natural.

• Thats what I think too. Their relationship is really complicated and even though he makes out like things are fine, I can tell they arent. So you just kept things to yourself? But if he has a problem, I don't know if he will know what to do, and he will rather just let it eat him up inside. That's just how he is. That's true, guess he will tell me if he wants to, I just worry about him. I don't want something to be wrong and he's suffering because no one bothered to find out if he was ok.

• Don't worry about him so much. If a guy can't figure out something, he can ask people for advice. Other than that, we will make our own decisions. If things aren't going well between him and his girlfriend, he can always walk away. Or if he wants to keep it going, he will deal with her bullsh*t. Do yourself a favor and don't get nosy about it. It's none of your business. And to answer another thought ... no, he doesn't like you more than friends.

What Girls Said 0