Does age affect HOW, not WHO, you date?

A friend of mine and me once posted that "we're not getting any younger (we're both 22) and that we need to start thinking about serious relationships and our lives etc...however not all people are like this...so it got me thinking...does age really affect HOW you date, not necessarily who you date.

For example, If I'm 22 and I'm dating a girl who is only 18 then is she going to want to be in a serious relationship based on her age? (even if I want to be)

Most Helpful Girl

• The answer to this question will be very subjective and will greatly depend on the individual and their worldview, lifestyle, family, friends, etc...I can only give my subjective opinion as a result. I think that at the age of 22 you may not "be getting any younger"...but you got a LONG way to go until you get natural platinum highlights, ya know? You are young and have the world ahead of you...unless of course you've been to college, your friends are getting married, starting a new career...then I could see you maybe considering settling down...but really...my opinion is no one under the age of 30 should do it...anyhow...I think when you are younger then you date for "fun"...when you get older you date for "potential". However, I did get married when I was 23...reflecting back on that...I was young...but I was mature. I learned a lot from that experience which has shaped who I am today...however...it's a big commitment and divorce is no fun...emotionally or financially. I think that no matter "how" people date...even if you aren't looking for commitment...you can still fall in love without even looking for it. So I recommend to everyone that you seek substance and compatibility. After all, looks fade...and even if you end up with Mr. or Mrs. Drop dead gorgeous...after a while it will get old unless they actually interest you. If anything you have to be developed as a person and know who you are in order for you to know what/who you are looking for.

• I tried the college thing..I hated it and I don't think I'll be going back. I have a friend who is engaged and getting married and I have a friend who just graduated and is now starting a career. So, yes..I'm not really getting any younger

• Hey...that's okay! College is not for everyone...and it isn't the end all. You will find something that you like doing...I didn't get my BA until I was 28. I did join the military for four years when I was 19...anyhow...today, I don't even use my BA (I did for four years)...now I work with a certification. There are many options besides college, however, it is something to fall back on and it is never to late to do it! You will find what is right for you!

What Girls Said 3

• I don't think age affects it, I think its more to do with experience. I think a person who has had experience with hooking up will be more willing to commit to a relationship because they feel content that they have had their fun and they aren't missing out. Someone who hasn't might be a little less eager to jump into a serious relationship because they might want to have fun. I know age doesn't matter, because I've met 18 year olds who want to have fun, and 18 year old who want serious relationships, I've also met 27 years olds who want relationships and ones who are still having fun and playing the field. I think if you are content that you have had the fun you want then you are obviously going to be able to commit to someone easily without feeling like they are holding you back. But then again I suppose it depends on the individual and the way they were raised to view relationships and interactions with the opposite gender.

• hmm that's a tough question. I think I think more seriously about relationships nowadays because I have a better idea of who I am and what I want. I don't think it's because I'm older that I think it's time to be serious. I don't think I HAVE to be serious, now I just know that I'm not just going to date some guy because I can... Sorry if that's confusing. I feel like I have more self confidence and less of the adolescent need to be "wanted." I am fine being me and waiting for the right person and now that I'm older I have the patience to look for a better guy, I suppose you could say a more serious, realistic, mature relationship. Hope that helps!

• maturity, morals and experience play a big part. I have met some 27 years that are way more driven, focused and mature than a 40...

What Guys Said 1

• People mature at different rates. While age can be a guild line it should not be a solid rule. There are always exceptions...