What are the positive and negative things about meeting people online?

Does anyone else find it sort of unusual? I mean, I see people who I don't mind being friends with but its not the same thing as meeting people in real life situations. You don't feel the same chemistry even though you might feel it with that person had you met them in real life. What are your thoughts on this?

While I use online methods to maintain relationships and socialize, I have only met a handful of new people online, mostly on here and Facebook so an additional info would be good.

Most Helpful Girl

• In reference to dating sites...

Positives: You basically get a preview of a person & already know some things about them before you meet & start dating. In real life, you typically find out most about a person when you start dating them. Online, you get to see their height, weight, religion, job status, education, income, birthday, etc. with just a click of a button. & if you don't like somebody based on those things, you can just click away without saying a word to them. Another positive is that you don't have to talk to one person at a time.

Negatives: Some people look away better in pictures than real life. Also, rejection may be harsher in real life but behind the screen, it's much easier to do. All they have to do is not reply to your message, & they may not do that because they didn't like something you said, which can also get taken out of context because you're online. In real life, you get to hear tone of voice and see body language. Also, not to offend anybody, but I find that a good handful of people join dating sites because they are a little bit desperate & have nowhere to turn. So sometimes you have to keep your eye out for that, because if someone is constantly looking for dates on website when there is nothing keeping them from looking for them in real life, there may be something up with them in real life that turns dates away.

• This one dating site I'm on has a feature that allows users to answer questions & select what they would want their significant others' answer to be, & from there, they formulate a match/friend/enemy percentage system. You can also see a user's answers if they answer their questions publicly, which most users do. This is somewhat good & bad because you can pretty much get to know somebody before you even say a word to them, but then again, you're going on a few Q&A's & a percentage scale &

• no problem

What Girls Said 13

• Good Question. Actually, my friends and I were talking about that earlier today. Here's the cumulative take on it based on our conversation:

Positive: You might be a little bolder online than you would be face-to-face. This is even the case with people we already know in several cases. You're in a casual setting in which you feel comfortable and are therefore more receptive to reading what the other person has to say. It makes sharing a little easier.

Negative: The other person my be a complete liar... The chemistry build-up generated through online chats might be complete and utter fantasy, which you realize once you speak to or meet the person. People often post a profile picture, age, etc., that is less than accurate. For this reason, many are still wary of kicking up online relationships.

Note: A lot of people log onto such websites after hours, when they're mentally and physically frayed and looking for a distraction, which is conducive to OVER sharing information that would otherwise be considered "TMI"...

• Internet dating wasn't the norm when I was single, but I'm sure if I was now, it would be something I would utilize.

As a introvert - I don't like going out. I don't like talking to strangers and I react awkwardly when strangers talk to me. I feel safer opening up with this screen as my buffer and I think that people are more open as well. I swear before I met my husband I was actually reading personal ads, debating whether I should respond to some or not. Online dating opens up other avenues that are unavailable for some people. Not everyone is capable of going out to find that special someone.

I've had married men hit on me, I've had men who lied completely about their lives to get in my pants. There were men I was great friends with but the relationship completely fell apart because we decided to take the next step. People lie or embellish or withhold information face to face. I think if a relationship was meant to be, it would be, regardless of how you met the love of your life.

Online dating is convenient and cuts through the bull crap. You know what people want, what they are looking for - you don't have to figure out or read confusing signals or agonize over what every signal means. Online, it's pretty obvious.

So for someone like me, online dating would be the way to go. There would be more positives than negatives.

Then again, I never had to do it so it just sounds good to me. I will admit though, that other things sounded good too but ended up disastrous.

• I've been in a relationship with someone I met online and another person I met offline. I felt like the online relationship was actually better in regards to establishing chemistry. The way I looked at it was if I could feel chemistry just from talking to someone online imagine how it would be in person. I only ever talked to the guy online on the phone, but our initial text conversations were definitely a good indicator of actual chemistry. I'm not sure that I even answered the question correctly, oh well lol.

• Positive: Some people are awesome lol - Sometimes I'll meet someone and we talk about tonnes of stuff for ages and everything is just cool. The honesty, I mean people share real experiences and opinions without much concern because you may never meet the people your talking to anyway so there's no major risk. You can wake up and be all ugly and the people your talking to will have no idea and pretty much wouldn't care anyway lol...xX

Negative: The creeps that chat you up or ask you rude and irrelevant things. When people with bad English talk to you and you don't get it because of the way they put the sentence. You may really click with someone but they're like on the other side of the planet. The people who want to webchat. You can never really be 100% that they are who they say they are...xX

• Positive: Opens you up to a lot of people who you probably would never meet without the internet. You get to see how compatible you are instantly.

Negative: What you see often isn't what you get. Meaning, people tend to act very different online from how they really are in person. Since a lot about the person is already presented to you online, it takes away a little bit from the getting to know each other process during dating.

Online dating has never worked out well for me, but it can work on occasion.

• The positive for me is that yes, you could meet someone cool, but the negative is that either A) You can't meet them in person because of where they live or B) You would feel uncomfortable actually meeting them in real life because you are pretty much strangers. For me it's both, so I tend to stay away from meeting people online

• watch the movie cat fish! You never know what the other person is really like!

• I actually looked it up and I was curious so I just skimmed through it until like an hour in it. It is disturbing knowing that a lot of people might post fake pictures and be someone completely different. Its just not real.

• Agreed zen. You NEVER know on the otherside of the computer/phone. Is the movie on netflix ?

• Well, you can kind of know if you skype them or meet them shortly after you meet online.

• i would say there is no positives when meeting someone online!

in my personal opinion you should be careful and do not build any relationship with someone behind a screen.

• I completely agree with this! Don't fall on the web, there's NO warranties who they actually are at all!

At the best it's used for easy communication with someone you already know, and maybe sometimes to meet someone in person you found online but that can be.. for girls - dangerous(stumbling on a rapist creep) and for guys - disappointing(stumbling on an ugly crocodile) you know what I mean?

You can impersonate anyone online and you can Photoshop your pictures beyond recognition!

• All those same problems pretty much happen in face to face interactions though too

• yes kaeden you got it right that's exactly what I meant

• People think it's difficult to know if that person you met online is being genuine, but I find, with time(usually short periods) it's very easy to distinguish odd behavior from them which leads to exposing their true character. It's harder to do that in person, since you have to be around them more to have conversations.

• I tried dating sites for awhile just because I was bored. One guy I went on a date with was sweet, but really boring and only talked about hiimself. The next guy neglected to tell me that he was dying and took me to his friend's orgy drug party. They're just like the people you meet in real life. Some are crazy, some not, but you can't always tell from looks or conversations.

• Positives: You don't have to try too hard in giving a good first impression, you can cut a conversation short by saying brb or g2g, you don't have to "look good" (i.e. you can be dressed in your pjs and no one will know or care), all you really need is to be able to construct ideas and sentences and have slightly good grammar, you can lie about who you are, you can minimize socially awkward situations by editing what you say.

Negatives: You are not in person so you can't touch them, talking to them might be a bit harder because you can't see their reactions and don't really know what they are thinking, relationships are less intimate and more automated, If you want the person to know everything about you it's harder because they can't see you

Conclusion: Talking online limits socially awkward situations but it is also harder to actually know who you are really speaking with.

• I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. A stranger is a stranger, though, no matter if you meet them in person or on the internet.

• Positive-we get to know people from different countries and cultures...

Negative-we do not know their background...this is the worst...

What Guys Said 10

• POsitives: There's no pressure, you don't have to worry about your appearance.

You can ask almost anything since you're not generally embarrrassed as you would be face to face.

You have time to think before responding to what they say.

Negatives: Much bigger.

You have NO idea who they are, you have NO idea if their profile is in any way accurate or genuine, and they can tell any lie and there's no body language or facial expression for you to detect it.

• I would like to contribute by mentioning something negative: Disinhibition, you'll be far more likely to say things you wouldn't in person. Because there's no (or much less) shyness or shame involved. It might create a false foundation for the friendship/relationship.

• Positive: you get to know them first.

Negative: possible distance. And the awkward explaining how you met them ;)

• One guy I know does a fair bit of online dating when single (he also meets girls offline). He does minimal back and forth online ... he has a good profile, he looks for profiles he's interested in, and just outright asks them to meet for a drink or coffee. If they want to talk back and forth a little, he does, but he basically goes straight for 'lets meet'.

• Meeting by online - no thank you. The human being is dependant from the concrete impression, the feeling the spotaneous and that is good.

• Pos:

1) People who are shy in person, they can approach them easliy.

2) People who lose their cool and sense on how to phrase their initial thoughts, they are more comfortable doing so online.

3) Sometimes, your personality comes out more than your image (if you are not showing your picture).

Neg:

1) It is much easier to hide your own "negatives" and present yourself as a sweety or a gentleman.

2) Of course, it could even be a fraudulent person or soneone playing with you.

3) You never know how many other people that person is trying to get close to.

4) Simply, seeing face to face is a much more real picture of the person in and out.

5) What if that person is stinky dirty person? :)))

• Positively you will be able to meet new personalities , share ideas , communicate, collaborate,get thoughts on certain matter or decision that affects you positively or negatively , also to share you sadness(as most people do here on GAG , no I don't hate it as a matter of fact I love to help em out) Buy stuff .

Negatively Hacker are a rare in most cases but still possible , online prostitutes, p*rn( I mean too much of the stuff where you want to buy em to watch em. ), Bad deals(mechandise) , trolls, haters , people who always try to change you into a negative person, cyber bullying and so on.

Since the invention of the internet it has gotten quite big and filled with good and bad stuff to a 50 percentage. Like hackers there are both the good ones and the bad ones.

• All I need to say is watch the movie Catfish. A friend recommend it to me and meeting people online isn't good at all because they might be who they say they are even though they tell you they are telling the truth but they might be lying about that even. Just meet people in person.

• I skimmed through it. Not too concerned about that to be honest. It would be foolish to meet someone before skyping them at least--which I have still never done

• better not

• Yeap I am a face to face person. I don't even like texting much. Expecially with women, for some reason I have a lot more success when I am face to face. It is like my charisma is not the same when I am just typing on a keyboard.