Have you tried online dating?

I am curious, how many of you have tried online dating, such as match.com. I met my wife on match and we married after three years of dating. I used it on and off for 6 years prior to meeting her.

The most important thing I learned from it is that a photo is more than a thousand words and thoughts. It was way to easy to see a picture of a match and dream up a thousand other images and scenarios. Most often, what I had thought up from that online image was far different from when I met them in person.

If you have tried it, what have been your experiences?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never done the match.com thing, but back in the days of AOL I used to hang around chat rooms and find guys to meet in person.

That was when high school boys could chat with high school girls suggestively and not have to worry about being a predator and ending up on Dateline NBC. Heh. A disclaimer for the younger members on the board- My mom allowed me to have guys I met online come by the house. She figured if a guy didn't mind coming over when they were around then he probably wasn't a perv. She was right. Only shy, awkward boys on my doorstep! I became friends with a few of them and still stay in touch here and there.

Getting back to your question though. Yeah. Usually they looked a lot different than their pictures. I was pleasantly surprised by some and swear others used magazine cut outs, haha.

What Girls Said 3

• All of the guys I dated last year, I met through an online dating service. I am on pretty much all of the sites. I have been on a couple dates that went no where, but there were other guys that stuck around for a couple months. I am still friends with most of the guys I met. I'm still looking for someone that will be a good match for me, but so far, no luck. I recommend online dating to everyone.

• I met a guy on singlesnet. He lives in Florida. We had a short fling and realized that it couldn't be more than that because of the distance between us. I live in Idaho. We still talk and visit each other as friends.

• I have tried several dating sites, but meet more through MySpace or Yahoo. I am still friends with a few of them. However, I usually see profiles of guys who just seem to want a casual sexual fling rather than a relationship. This turns me off right away, especially if guys ask how much I weigh, my bra size, etc. and other personal questions before they get to know me. BTW, I have always posted my actual recent photo in my profiles.

What Guys Said 2

• I tried online dating and a lot of the girls lie about their appearances. For example, they had pictures that were older, or they were taken at the right angles. Couple of times I was shocked when I saw the real version of the person. Online dating is a good way to meet people when you have a super busy schedule, and also, it lets you filter out people pretty well. Also, somehow it seemed that my online dates were more into having a sexual relationship, than pursuing a long term one, so it was fun while it lasted. :)

• I met my fiance on yahoo. The big thing I noticed was that it requires you to do much more work to get to know the person. Many emails, IM messages, and finally phone calls before meeting. I met mine about 21 months ago, and did online dating for about 6 months before I met the one I wanted. In some ways I think it's superior to just being introduced to someone; more thorough. Again, you are forced to get to know them. It takes longer, but its worth the wait! And you are right about just looking at pics on the sites; completely different!