Were you allowed to go out when you were 17 or were you always over protected?

I'm 17 years old and I just feel like my younger friends have a better social life than mines. Every time I ask my grandmother to go somewhere, it's always and issue, basically she says no, and if she does say yes, she makes a little issue about it first. I understand the rules my grandmother lays down for me, but how can I practice them if I'm always in the house. I have like 3 or 4 best friends and she'll only let me go out with them if she knows their parents, but I told her that I have other friends who are complete strangers to her, and whenever they invite me out, I have to make up some excuse not to go, it doesn't matter who it is, it could be like that with my best friends too. If my grandmother doesn't want me to go somewhere, she'll tell me no, and sometimes it's embarrassing because I already told them yes and then I have to make up an excuse or whatever not to go. I don't have a car and I don't have my license, so I feel like I'm trapped, but I want a life too. I just feel like my friends who are 15 and 16 have more freedom than I do and they're doing more. And I'm being held back and left behind. Don't get me wrong, I love my grandmother and I understand what she means when she says you can't trust everybody and you can't get into a car with just anyone, but why can't she understand me? That's why I barely get invited out by my friends, because they know that I'm gonna say I can't make it, and it's irritating! :( so can somebody please give me some kind of advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I vote on sitting down and having a mature conversation about it. Don't whine just calmly explain your point of view. If you have a mobile then offer to call her when you reach your destination and when you leave? I never really had this problem and I gave my rents hell when I lived with them :p

• Thanks:) but regardless of weather or not I have a cell phone, she'll still be too scared to let me go certain places, and I already call her when I do get the chance to go somewhere. lol she calls me too.

What Guys Said 5

• I was never outgoing, and did not have many friends (Still not, and don't), so my parents were pushing me to go out with friends more often. Even as early as... 9th grade (age 15). So, they were never over-protective.

• I was never allowed out but my little bro was given curfews that were extended until he got home so they wouldn't have to punish them. Now I enjoy leaving for long periods of time with zero contact. Then arriving home at 2 in the morning and scaring everyone senseless. Good times.

• I grew up in a tiny town with nothing to do and didn't have a car to go anywhere. It wasn't a question of being allowed to go out, it just wasn't an option.

• You mean it wasn't a valid option.

• @chrisbigman

I now consider myself lucky just to have at least lived in a town where I could walk to a movie rental place. I was born in the bigger town but we moved when I was a kid. I found out about three years ago that my parents had almost bought a house out in the country on some acreage in the middle of fucking nowhere instead, probably another hour's walk from that little town. I would have greatly resented them if they'd done that. And that was when the internet first became well known, so that was my connection to people. If I'd lived in the country I wouldn't have even had that.

• I wasn't much of an outgoing person, I don't think. However, I think I was more of a workaholic then I was outgoing. I was too focused on getting a job and making money.

• I was out at like 12 years old

What Girls Said 3

• My mother is the same way. Overprotected..

I have a 8-9 P.M curfew. ROFL

Well, she blows up my phone at 7:30.. xD

Give her what she wants, She's not gonna change her rules.. She just cares and doesn't wanna worry about you when you go out.

• Yeah I know:p I understand her, but like I said, I'm a responsible, trustworthy person, and she wouldn't have anything to worry about

• I'm the same way.. I don't hang out with the wrong crowds or put myself in death situations.. Such a worry wart.

• hopped out the window almost every night, and crawled back in... to get ready for school, lol

• lie, lie , lie if you can get away with itlife is short, you can't please everybody, your grandma grew up in different times she doesn't understand and she doesn't want to OK something and then be responsible for what happens to you, if you lie, its on you, she expects you to lie.

• Awww man :/ that sucks, but yea I can try that, but I doubt that it would work. My grandmother doesn't like it when I lock the door but I can try the demanding privacy

• or try explaining to her you want to go out more and work on building trust, but ehhh, its fun breaking the rules.lol

• LOL how weird, I'm dealing with this issue right now -.-

• Wow, really?! I thought I was the only one

• Lol, I really did! because it seems like everybody has a better social life than mines :p

• I just have to lie, to do some stuff. then when I get caught, it's like whatever.