What's your perspective on trading up?

Is it bad to trade up your boyfriend for another guy who is better? (Better as in degree, occupation, personality, intelligence, looks etc...)

For the record I'm not saying I would do this to anyone. I just want to know people's perspectives.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't call it upgrading - that's pretty stupid to leave someone because they don't demonstrate one trait or something perfectly - or to go browsing for some guy that's hotter or whatev.

Love isn't perfect - so it's futile to seek perfection.

However,

If the guy is a complete ass, treats you like sh*t, and does more damage than good - then yes I think an upgrade is in place. Same thing for the guys who end up with complete bitches.

Other than that - why give up a good thing trying to find the perfect guy? He doesn't exist.

One should have their priorities straight before " upgrading." Or simply just put in some damn effort to make sh*t work.

Don't run away from something that's fixable. And if it's not, and it's causing you that much trauma for the relationship, then okay that's understandable.

However, that's not upgrading, that's just trying to find romantic solace - which we all do so.

What Guys Said 4

• no... your with a person because you love him or her, not because of what he or she gots/do. whoever does this will never be happy in life cause it will become a habit for them. you know, they need money, etc to be happy so they will never find true love.

• where most of guys insecurities come from. thank you haha

• This actually affect guys insecurities?

• 'most' should be some but yea haha. a lot of guys think they're not good enough. even when dating they might question whether the girl theyre with really likes them.

• Loyalty comes before all of that. A 500lbs midget would be a trade up from you.

• Im not saying I would do this to anyone. Seriously it's wrong, my friend said she wanted to trade up her boyfriend. I just want to know people's perspectives.

• LOL. Thank you for being an honest female. Seriously.

• What I'm just curious...If you had the chance to trade up wouldn't you?

• well, there's that sticky little emotion called love and that stupid emotion called loyalty...

What Girls Said 5

• If I see a long term relationship with him, then yes.

• Trading Up? Never heard it call that. Trade up for happiness!

• It depends on the first relationship. If it is someone who isn't right for you then it makes sense to trade up for someone who is right for you providing you are right for them too. It is unfair to the first person if you stick with them just because you think you have to and the feeling isn't there. They would be missing out because they wouldn't be able to look for someone better for them and who truly wants to be with if you two are staying together for the wrong reason. Trading up is also better than cheating because I have been cheated on and I would prefer if he just left me for her instead of cheating.

I would say the same thing to any guy who asked this.

• If it's just not working out and you find someone who is a better match 4 you then I honestly don't c why you have 2 stay with your boyfriend. it sounds terrible, yes..but it's not fair 2 b with sum1 who is not making you happy either.

• If you don't see a long term future with him then why not?