On your first date with someone, do you...

talk about political and social issues? explain, please :P

• Yes, I talk about them.
  • No, I do not talk about them.
  • See results.
hm... interesting. thank you all for your input! :D

Most Helpful Guy

• Understand this whatever you talk about can changes the way you connect with the person.

One thing I learned is to be indifferent at least at the start to truly see the real person.Example is saying "I love obama what about you?" right there changed how we will relate,because now if she is one of those girls that like you a lot and wants to connect to you she may lie and say "Me too he is cool" even if she disliked him and is planing to vote for Ron paul.

Just keep it light friendly,funny,interesting stories that don't judge any groups of people(remember you wanna see the true person and not some girl who hides her true self as the months go by) etc

Good luck

What Girls Said 13

• Sure. I don't really go out of my way to talk about politics and social issues on the first date, but if the topic comes up, then I have no problem talking about it. These are things that I'm quite passionate about, so ideally I like to date people who have similar views and values as me. If someone's views are polar opposites to mine, it might mean that I won't be interested in dating that person (but eventually that will come out anyway, whether it's on the first date, or a subsequent date). If it turned out that they had very different views from me, I'd be respectful of their views. Hopefully they'd be respectful of mine (but if they weren't, then obviously they aren't the type of person I'd want to date regardless).

• there are not many other things I do like to talk about... and most other things are work specific, & they may not want to discuss what I'm working on, or I may not feel like discussing that with them. Plus I wouldn't get involved with someone, I did not have similar ethics. So yes of course I would discuss politics& social issues. but I usually do that when I meet people , anyways dating or not.

if I thought that I could not discuss, anything I like thinking about, than I wouldn't be seeing that person again.

im not going to dump my thoughts for a boyfriend. I would be far more likely dump the bf.

• If the other person's not the type that likes to talk about politics and society just to show how freaking intelligent and perceptive they are, then it's okay, it's even just as good as the "Priest walks into a bar" funny kind of conversation. As long as it's interesting and unpretentious.

But that rarely happens .

• not really. but it wouldn't be that big of a deal if he started talking about it. wouldn't spark my interest, though.

• no way.. boring.. put you immediately to sleep.. talk about general things like each other.. the 1st date is all about trying to get to know the person.. not about issues with the world and negatives of yourself. hope I helped.

• how is society,not about 'each other'- what do you think you live within- an egg?

• Sure, if they're interested in politics and feel comfortable talking about it... But if not, it might be best to stick to lighter topics until you get to know them better, and they feel comfortable opening up about their opinions (or lack thereof).

• It depends a bit on the person but I mostly am interested in those topics and if the other person is too, that's a great thing to talk about

• Never talk about politics, this is too much as a first date is supposed to be easy and fun! Social issues are fine as long as they are not too serious or personal.

• I wouldn't find it a major issue to talk about those things if our conversation is flowing well. I mean I'm not going to start bringing it up out of thin air, but I am the type who likes to talk about those things.

On my last date we did speak about them since we are both into that stuff, and though the date itself was not great, it was not because we spoke about politics. I just felt no connection with him...the only connection was that we had similar points of view on issues but I felt no sexual chemistry and the idea of getting down and dirty with him just made me feel awkward and uneasy...but anyhow my point is that it isn't necessarily the thing you'd discuss first but I don't see it being a major problem to discuss on a first date.

• yes, I need to know if he's a democrat

• I think it depends on the person. When you`re both familiar with this area and preferably think alike:D, it could be a good topic, especially if you want to look educated and intelligent. But again, you should consider the interests of your date, when she`s not particularly into this area, choose some lighter topic :)

• That's not a subject that I really wanna discuss on first date (just if we can't find an interesting thing to talk about)

• never that's a great way to make an enemy

What Guys Said 7

• Bleh, if I wanted to talk about politics I'd call my dad. While I'm on a date though I'm there to get to know that person, if she can't muster up enough conversational prowess to be able to talk about her life experiences for a few hours, chances are that relationship wasn't built to last. Political affiliation is the last thing I'm thinking about.

• So.. she somehow manages to have life experiences outside of society & politics.. Interesting. Do you typically date monkeys?

• Yes in fact I do, cause clearly everything that we as humans take part in is about political affiliation and social issues.

• political?

are you kidding me...

avoid such topics with women in general...unless she is interested in politics or standing for some election

• really? how many women do you know , specifically said, they do not like to discuss politics/ society ?

what the hell else do you talk about ?

• politics is something I normally avoid talking about...

there are million more things to talk about...

politics is just plain boring for me as well as most girls

• i think of it as just casual conversation between us

• Only if you first met each other through common political or religious interest. Otherwise it's an area to avoid.

• yes, because those two subject seems to be one of the top subject I'm good at discussing

• sure if that's what comes up and we're both interested in

• I'd try to avoid it. A lot of women aren't interested, and a lot of those that are hold views that are stupid. Pointing out why doesn't turn them on.