Should I be dating if I have no money ?

I'm not broke, but I'm currently unemployed. I live with my parents, and I'm attending college full time. There's lots of girls in college that always ask me to hang out, but I'm pretty embarrassed of the fact, I'm not making any money and can't go out and eat with them, or invite them to a treat. My friend whose a police officer tells me I shouldn't worry about that, if a girl doesn't like me when I have no money, then she's definitely not going to like me when I have. He said if a woman truly likes a guy, she would consider the fact he's in college studying to be somebody, instead of working for someone for a minimum wage job. I told him some girls wouldn't understand that, and he just said, that those kinds of girls are not independent; meaning they count of others to get what they want. So, every time I like a girl, I always say I can't hang out, because I'm really embarrassed of not having a job, specially if they'll meet up with their friends. What do you guys/girls think ?

Most Helpful Girl

• Your friend is right. If a girl doesn't like you know without money, she won't like you with money either. And if she did, she's not the kind of person you want to be with anyway. You want someone who is going to be with you no matter what. And he is so right about them depending on you. I know girls who do that, and they whine and get upset when their guy won't buy them things, or pay their bills for them.

I've dated guys who had no jobs, as long as they are doing something with their life, either working or going to school, there isn't a problem. It's the guy who is living with his parents, playing video games all day with no motivation that is not someone I would consider dating. Even if you volunteered somewhere and didn't work or go to school that would be better than doing nothing.

I think you should date, there are plenty of cheap and free dating ideas. Cook a dinner together, have a movie night at home, go on a walk in the park, go to free events around the college. Me and my boyfriend do cheap dates all the time. If you can afford groceries, you can afford to make a meal. Switch off who is making what. Even go on group dates, where everyone brings a dish to share and you have it at someone's house.

• That's a pretty motivating answer. I like that a lot, and I think you are very considerate. :D

What Girls Said 3

• I know I joke about only dating guys with money, their own classy place and fancy cars...hahahaha, yeah I'm just joking.

I think? No.

Seriously, if I only pursued such guys I'd not enjoy the life I've had to this point. A lot of the sexy guys I met through my circle of friends weren't well to do -- some didn't have cars, others lived with their parents, but we all had a good time. I know a lot of girls who are living for tomorrow and are miserable because of it, and a lot are not because they're wise about it. It all depends on the girl and what she's looking for -- a relationship? Marriage? Kids? Someone to share laughs with?

• What you said it very true... You're definitely right about those things. I once dated a girl who was only using me because I have a car, I came to find out after I drover her a few places, and asked her were things were going.

• Some of the best times I had in my life was with guys and girls in my jr. high school and high school days, when we all were broke, jobless and living with our parents. Though we knew how to enjoy each others company, we all had a wonderful time.

• QA, yeah there are some girls who are turned on by that, others don't care.

• well to be honest if a guy has absolutely no money at all then I don't think I'd date him. it has nothing to do with "truly liking a guy for him" because realistically you don't get those deep feelings for a guy until after you know him well. so if a guy I hardly know wants to go out with me but he doesn't have money, personally I would be turned off that we never do anything but there are plenty of girls who don't care. I dated a guy that had no money before and it was super draining. people can talk all that fairy tale ish they want to, but the reality of the situation is money makes the world go round. if you don't have it you better find a way to get it

• there are plenty of cheap to free thing you can do at college. plenty of concerts

What Guys Said 4

• i can tell you one thing if there interested when you got no funds they will be there cheering you on til you make it in this world that would be the best time to date..cause no offense my dad would say this you can't get any broker than you are son give it a shot..

• If a girl can't like you when you don't have money. Why should you like her when you do have money?

• That's a pretty good question. I don't think I would like her anyway -- no, I know I wouldn't like her, that's a fact. LOL

• So go get around and meet new people, maybe you'll actually meet the perfect girl in this period of life? The doubt you have about dating, being broke is the darkside of pridefulness, pay it no heed.

When you are uneployed it's a great way to hit the library and learn some nice things so that you can become great at keeping conversations going. :)

• You can try but I wouldn't advise it. It will likely end badly.

• Watch this - link

• Hey, thanks for the video. That was pretty motivating, but then again... it only happens on T.V., hardly in real life. LOL

• Will start to do that. Thanks!

• Kurt Cobain wrote a song about your situation.

link