Do you date for looks or personality?

When you date someone is it solely based on their looks, or do you date them solely on their personality?

If it's both, does one out weigh the other; which one is more important?

Most Helpful Guy

• Both but the personality has to outweighs the looks, That's the reason why I'm dating her is because her personality is something I like to be around.

The personality is the reason why people date each other, if not then everything would be casual hook ups/friends with benefits,etc. No one wants to date someone who is hot/Very attractive then their personality is equivalent to a bag of Ox sh*t. Examples are bitchy, snotty, rude,disrespectful, inconsiderate,egotistical,etc.

Most people who claim that they are in love with someone who they just met like 2 weeks ago is either lost and infatuated with their looks , a nut case, or haven't been dating for too long, or all of the above.

What Guys Said 13

• Wrote an article on it, Hate to be somewhat shallow, but both... No point dating someone I'd always have a little doubt about, when there are people out there that are possibly perfect for me... i.e. The girl I'm dating is gorgeous and I love her personality.

• I would never date someone soley based on their looks or soley based on their personality. I think with me as long as I find them decently attractive I would care more about her personality. If I dated someone who was too attractive I think I'd compound my self esteem problems by thinking that I wasn't "deserving" of her.

• I think most people will say both, though there will always be the outliers. It's just basic common sense.

Would I date a woman with 10 on the personality scale, but a 1 on the beauty scale? Probably not. A woman with a 10 on the personality scale and a 5 on the beauty scale would win versus a woman with a 5 on the personality scale and 10 on the beauty scale.

Physical appearance is much like anything else in life. You need just enough to be satisfied, but you don't need a lot more than that. Once you reach that level then you get diminishing returns and start looking for other areas to improve your life.

This is also true for money. If you have enough, within reason, to do what you want, you're good to go. If you have less than what you need, life gets miserable fairly quickly.

• looks its what draws me to a girl, but if she is a bitch, dumb, conceited or boring I would leave her soon. I wish personality would play a bigger factor though...then again girls don't approach guys, so it is very hard for me to judge girls based on personality if they don't approach me.

• Both. I've actually gone out with some hot chicks and dropped them off early because their personality was so crappy. I've also done the complete opposite of that so I like to think I'm in the middle of that spectrum.

• Both. Gotta be attracted to them and they have to have a great personality. Bad personality= turn off

• Overall personality is much more important. There are a lot of attractive girls but what good are they with a bad personality. Is an absolute gorgeous swimsuit model with a so- so personality better than a cute girl with an amazing personality? Of course not, the latter would win every time. This is all from personal experience.

• Both, it depends on a girl really if a very attractive girl has a bad personality but is loyal(trustworthy) I would be okay to date her it depends on how good-looking she is.

Looks 40 -82.5 %

personality 17.5- 60

• Both. But personality for sure

• personality! but I don't x out looks all the way

• both, but looks, somewhat outwegh personality. just slightly but enough to make me shallow...

• both, but looks seem to win.

• Both but personality is more important..definitely. but it's hard to find one with personality. lol

• I would only ask a girl out if I found her physically attractive. I would only keep dating a girl if I enjoyed being around her. Personality is more important in the long run, because looks can fade or some freak accident could scar her. I guess people can change over time too, though. I don't think I have extremely high beauty standards or anything, but I would be more lenient if I had already fell in love with that person.

What Girls Said 24

• Honestly it's a toss-up!

I've gone on dates with boys who I didn't find physically attractive but I absolutely adored their personalities, however, I found the physical attraction didn't grow over time and there just wasn't the spark I was looking for.

On flip-side, I've gone out with boys who were extremely attractive, but I couldn't find myself attracted to their personality, and then the spark wasn't there, either!

I really like to have a balance of both. He doesn't need to be perfect, just perfect for me. :)

• Looks initially, I wouldn't date a guy I didn't think was attractive but I wouldn't date an attractive guy I didn't get along with either

• definitely both, but personality's more important.

• both I guess but personality is WAY more important. I hate to sound conceited but I probably won't want to date someone butt ugly but I'm not going to date a jerk whos extremely gorgeous. I prefer just someone at least average looking and a fun personality

• Both are of equal importance to me. I am turned off by a bad personality and looks must be attractive to me in order to peruse further in dating the person. If he's attractive and has a bad personality I wouldn't dig him, and vice versa.

• Both, 50/50. Looks fade but personality stays the same.

• I look for both but more for personality. I don't want to be with guys that are jerks. I want a guy that is nice to everyone.

• Both.. But looks outweigh the personality..

Sure, personality will take them far in the long run in anything (relationships too I'm sure) but if I don't find them attractive anymore then it's over.

There's no point in dragging something along when the spark of attraction isn't there. For me, at least.

Frankly, looks is the first thing that made me want to get to know the person.

• What if you find him atttractive but he doesn't really find you all that attractive but you both 'click'?

• Then it's up to him if he wants to date. If not, being friends is always an option.

• Both, but looks = chemistry and to me we would have to have that first.

• both, for first impression though, I go for the looks but 60% honestly is on personality.

• What are you blind? Read the question again! There is an OR! -1

• :O I'm not blind I just go for both, I can't go for looks only or personality, it's impossible for meh.

• Personality

• Attraction and affection are 2 completely different things. You might be attracted to the appearance of hundred of guys at first sight in your lifetime, but it's the personality that differentiates THE ONE from THE OTHERS. Both look and personality are important when it comes to dating. However, without the later one, a relationship would never work because no matter how strong lust and infatuation are they would die out eventually.

• 60% Personality and 40% Appearance...I mean I have to be attracted to them to an extent

• I'd say both. I mean personality does somewhat beat looks but that's because in my opinion, dating someone who is very attractive but has a horrific personality is just unbearable. Hence why I chose both. Personality is quite important.

• Personality. My current boyfriend is ug. But his personality is great.

• kinda both 70 personality 30 looks

• Both but personality out weighs the other.

• I date for both and both have same importance

• Looks lure me in.

Personality keeps me there.

• Looks and personality. I have to be attracted in more than one way.

• looks draw me in, the personality keeps me interested (:

• I look for both, a bit more on the personality side though. I'd rather not go on a date with someone who is as entertaining as a brick wall.

• It's all about the cash ;)

• Personality, I get personality blind. If a guy/girl has an AWESOME! Personality, I get blind to how they look.