Have you ever went on a date and the guy wanted to order one meal and share it?

I see couples do this in restaurants all the time and I have mixed feelings on it. Personally, I want to have my own meal. I don't mind the guy finishing it if I can't eat all of my food, but I don't want to eat off of someone else's plate.

Guys, would you ever do this on a first date? What about a girl you had been dating for awhile.

Recently, I waited on a couple who ordered water and a chicken strip basket to share. What is your opinion on this? I honestly don't know how to feel.

Ok, what about parents letting their children just eat off of their plate? Or getting the free crackers for their children?

Most Helpful Guy

• That seems odd to me.

I'm totally down for sharing an appetizer, or even a desert, but I want my own meal. Now, there might occasionally be a situation where we order two meals, but share them, so that each of us gets to taste both meals, but that would be a rare exception.

In most cases, I'm more likely to go the other way, which is to insist on getting her her own meal, even if she'd rather just "share" mine. It's not that I'm stingy, but damnit, if I order a large fries, it's because I want that many fries! I'll happily order you your own fries, but don't tell me you aren't hungry and then eat all of my fries...

But about your specific situation... maybe they'd eaten lunch late and neither were very hungry, and decided just to share a meal. Nothing wrong with that, especially with "appetizer" type food like a chicken basket. It's not like the shared the same bowl of soup or something.

Ultimately, I don't really judge people for stuff like this, especially because I don't know the whole situation or background. I was a waiter for several years, and was always happy to accomidate people's wishes as best I could.

• I agree with this completely. There are situations where sharing one meal makes sense, but on a normal date where both people are hungry, it would just be weird. If money is an issue, choosing a less expensive restaurant seems like a better option.

What Guys Said 6

• Times are tuff and she excepts that. I think that's awesome that she ain't trippin if his money is tight right now. It sucks when you have to let your account go into the negative because she wants to go out to dinner right after you paid all your bills.

• That's a good point, but it seems to me that a better option would be to go someplace cheaper or to just let her know that you can't afford to pay for her. It depends on the place and the dish, but usually one restaurant meal won't fill two adults. Personally I'd feel very weird about sharing one meal due to money concerns. I'd prefer to do something cheaper instead or pay for my own meal. Just my two cents.

• 1. I'd never take a girl out for dinner on a first date

As for sharing food it depends what you share, if it's a steak it would be kinda strange, if it's a bowl of chips that's pretty standard fare, not sure exactly what a chicken strip basket is but I'm guessing it's not just one piece of chicken, it's a bunch of strips of chicken

• Yes, a bunch of chicken and fries. What do you do on a first date?

• Usually just go out for coffee until I become intimate with a woman, the I start "dating"

• lol, that is the worst first date move I've ever heard of. I never even did that to my girlfriend when we were dating.

• Seriously, if I went on a first date with a guy and he wanted to share food, I would pay for my own food and he probably wouldn't get a second date.

• unless the portion sizes are insane, that wouldn't work for me

• first date no...

but once my girlfirend said she wasn't all that hungry.. and I was really hungry and I had to stop to get food while we were out.. well she kept saying she wasn't "all that" hungry..

so I told her I will get a large item that way if she decides she wants some we can share.. if not Ill take it home..

well we shared the one plate between us..

funny thing.. she ate the same amount as me or maybe even more.. lol.. it was a nice time.. Its not likly to happen again for a while but I'm not aginst it..

this would surprize my parents.. because I'm slightly germ afobic.. and won't eat anything if somone else has toched it.. and I let her eat off my plate.. oh.. did I mention she was slightly sick.. lol I figured if she's sick I'm likly to get it anyway from being so close to her.. might as well not ruin a good time with her..

• Wow I'd never do that on a first day. If I was on a budget or something, I'd suggest we cook together.

What Girls Said 3

• If he's my steady boyfriend I don't really mind. My best friend and I share a meal between us sometimes, if the portions are really big. Normally you just ask for another plate instead of eating off of just one. As a first date it's a really poor move though. I only share food like that with people I'm familiar with.

• I probably wouldn't feel comfortable sharing a dish with someone or eating off their plate on a first date. It depends on the meal though- sharing a basket of chicken strips doesn't seem like too big a deal, since you aren't biting off of the same pieces of food. If you just want a snack, sharing one dish is logical. My boyfriend and I share meals all the time and I'm fine with it, but we usually order two things to share or just trade tastes. As for parents and kids, I think that's a little different, but I think it's fine. I share with my family and I'd let my kid eat from my plate.

• Yeah but I think it would be odd for a first date