Is 25 too old of a guy for an almost 18 year old to be engaged too? Guys (and girls of course).

OK, So I've been dating this guy for over 6 months (not long I know) and he just asked me to marry him. I am 17(be 18 in April) and he is 25. I said yes, but when I tell people how old he is, they say he is to old. We are very much in love. and age is just a number, right? it shouldn't matter, correct?

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's the thing...

You simply don't, and can't, understand HOW MUCH you will change over the next 5-7 years. It will be as much or more as you changed between 10 and 16, and try to remember what was important to you at 10, and how ridiculous and naive some of those things seem to you today.

It's completely understandable to FEEL the way you do. We all get it. The problem is that at your age, there's simply so much about life in the real world that you haven't learned yet, and it's very likely that you just don't know what you'll really need in a relationship, a real, adult relationship that will carry enormous responsibilities and stress.

So, what to do? As I said, we all understand how you feel. It's normal. But be smart about how you ACT on it. I recommend staying with the guy, but moving VERY slow. Have a LONG engagement, as in, 3-4 years, or if you're going to college, until you graduate.

Realistically, you probably won't feel the same about him by then, which is ALSO normal and expected. And if that's the case, you can move on without huge legal and social entanglements. And if you DO still feel the same, you can then get married.

If you rush, or be stupid and let yourself get pregnant, that's where you're going to have a problem. Just be smart, and maybe you can have everything that you want.

What Guys Said 3

• Its difficult. I'm dating a 23 year old and I'm 31 and she still has so much to experience in her 20's. If you are only 18 and have only been dating the guy for 6 months I wouldn't suggest marrying him unless you are 100% positive that he is the one.

go to a bookstore and find a book called "1001 Questions to Ask Before You Get Married."

You don't have to read the entire thing, but look through it and ask yourself if you are ready to be married at such a young age. People may say that age is not a big deal, but in reality 18 is very different than 22 and 22 is very different than even 26. Take your time and don't rush things.

• i feel like he's taking advantage of you at a vulnerable age. of course it depends on your culture though. maybe a very religious family may embrace that.

the golden rule for dating, let alone marriage, is the minimum should be Half your age plus 7

so your under that. idk, if I had a daughter at your age get engaged that early to a 25 year old id have problems with it

• just wait a bit to get married, if its going to work out you'll still be together in a few years anyways so what's the big rush

What Girls Said 3

• I'm not gonna tell you it's wrong, because I'll be 18 in a few weeks, and I'm falling in love with a man even older than your fella. So I understand where you're coming from in context of dating someone who, according to society, you shouldn't be. The advice I will give you is to wait to marry the guy. Because it's only been six months, and of course marriage is going to sound like a great idea because you're swooning in this brand new love, and everything is wonderful right now. I can't put a number or date on when "the right time" to get married is. But I'd say just keep living with him, and go about things the way you are. You don't need to be married to prove your love to each other. But don't feel ashamed because of his age. Love can be formed between all different kinds of people, and there's no wrong way to do it. I wish you happiness no matter what you choose <3

• i think you should wait to be married,

unless you are 100% sure of it

• At this point you are VERY young...to get married...and your age gap is very large for a girl that young...