How do you feel about your boyfriend or girlfriend texting during dinner?

So my boyfriend and I went to out to eat last night and he was texting one of his good girl friend. She was having a problem with one of her friends who was acting all suicidal. He told me that he was texting her to help her out. I had no problem with that, but then I told him I could help him out with his problem, because I had a few situations where I had to deal with something similar. He goes I don't want know.. So why would you listen to some girl who's your friend but not listen to your girlfriend? Plus he was texting her during dinner.. Is this rude or am I over reacting?

Most Helpful Guy

• If he made a habit of doing that, it would be very rude and probably unacceptable. But sometimes in life, things happen and they happen at inconvienent times and have to be dealt with RIGHT NOW. This sounds like it might well be one of those things.

As for why he didn't want to hear your story, I can't say. You really should ask him. Not in an angry way, but just "out of curiosity". He may actually have a good reason for not wanting to hear another tale of woe right then. The important thing is, if you're in a relationship with someone, you need to be able to talk about those kinds of things.

• ya agreed, he did apologize and say it was important he never texts when his with me unless he has to. So this was important.

What Guys Said 7

• If we go out to eat, I'd ask to you turn it off. Nonetheless, for such an important issue that needs to be addressed, I wouldn't mind making an exception. Your boyfriend should have shown more concern for someone who might be taking their life. That's a reg flag for me and honestly, I'd call him out on it. You aren't overreacting.

• well he should've put that CELL PHONE AWAY. there's a certain type of etitquette rule on CellPhones with your significant other. he broke that rule...lol !

overacting mayb or mayb not depends on a few things.

• its innapropiate I would give my full attention to my girlfriend if I had one fer sure she deserves my undivided attention.Dinner is a fun and socialble time to connect more so I gotta make it count.!Not only for relationship strength but for "Brownie Points"

P.s ^^^^ If you know what I meen

• So he didn't allow you to help her through his phone? Sounds a little iffy to me.

• I would say he's insane for even taking his eyes from you for a second ;)

• Texting means the person on the other end is more important than the person you are with. It also looks kind of lame in a nerdy way to see someone's face dug into their phone fidgeting away with their fingers as though they are trying to stimulate the phone to orgasm.

The only exception to this rule is if they say, "Hold on, I need to send an important text real fast" first. Its polite, and indicates that someone may need important information to join the gathering or pertaining to their situation.

I sometimes like to excuse myself and step outside, for both the improved reception and not to make a nuissance of myself in front of the others sitting near me.

• How long have you been going out?

• for 2 months now

• He was lying

He has lied in the past

You have only gone out 2 months

an his actions are very disrespectful.

For Future reference

If it truly is a matter of life and death

you probably would not still be sitting at dinner

and the reason he wanted no help from his "new" girlfriend is

that is not what the girl was asking about

also how many times dis he smile as he text?

• I never noticed him smiling at his text.. He would usually shake his head as if he was annoyed...

What Girls Said 3

• If my boyfriend does text girls in this type of suicidal situation I don't mind too. I think he should shared with me what's going on etc rather than that type of answer , it makes us girls feels uneasy . Maybe you could tell him how you feels ? But if it's not in the suicidal situation and texting other girls continuously over dinner I would find that rude and will feel like throwing his phone out of the building .

• I don't like it, it's impolite and it seems like you are boring them if they have the need to talk to someone on another line. Many other reasons as well.

• completely disrespectful!