The Most Important Question You Can Ask On The First Date.

What do you think is THE most important question you can ask on the first date? Is it deep? Is it random, but the answer tells you a LOT about the person?

What do you make sure that you ask?

Most Helpful Girl

• Pancakes or Waffles?

No joke this questions tells me a lot about someone and it's fun and not too personal for a first date.

My trick about this questions is that I've asked a lot of people this, starting with people I knew well, and whatever their answer was let me know what kind of person likes waffles and what kind likes pancakes.

The real difference is this; usually people who choose pancakes grew up in the northern or "yankee" part of the USA and so you know more about them because you have a jist where they're from if you don't want to get into that conversation on the first date. The "where are you from and how did you like growing up there" one that you might want to save until later.

People who choose waffles usually grew up in the southern areas of the United States.

This is what I've learned of it and a few more things.

Anyway so that's what I like to ask, of course guys and girls be careful with that, it could be misinterpreted as in "What do you want for breakfast in the morning". lol

Of course then you explain yourself and it's funny so it gets some laughs.

• don't want to discredit you or anything, but I've lived in the northwest my whole life & I LOVE waffles :D

• What do they like in the West?

• lol well USUALLY. It's not a proven science lol, but generally that is what it means. Only occasionally is it wrong. I live up north but I was born in the south... when I'm asked this question I usually say "both" haha. But if I have to choose then I'd choose waffles.

What Girls Said 25

• I want to know random things. I feel like if they are too deep or have a right-wrong answer it can be bad. I also try and stay away from the obvious ones because he's more likely to ask them. :P I like to ask "What dinosaur would you be?" Simply because it's random, can be funny, and usually creates a type of conversation.

• I really love this response, totally agree.

• Great for guys with a good sense of humor, not so much for serious guys. Good for weeding out the humorless, overly serious types, and keeping guys listening.

• "Where would you like to eat?" -- a good date should be prepared with a few suggestions, both the guy and the girl. The guy offers the first suggestion. If it's a place that the girl doesn't like, she suggests an alternative. If it's a place he doesn't like, they find the third alternative, which is usually good for both. The guy suggests first if he is planning to pay; the girl suggests first if she is planning to pay or go "dutch."

Why is this such an important question? Where you choose to eat and hang out tells a person a lot about your lifestyle and preferences, your tastes (pun intended). The behavior you see a person exhibit at the table is also very telling in terms of their upbringing and their interest in/consideration for you.

• "who do you think would win zombies or vampires?"

First it tells you how nerdy they are, and it'll be an engaging discussion. plus it'll sort out the guys who like the twilight crap whom I don't wanna see ever, and the guy who watch the walking dead, whom I'd love to see again :D

Their favorite movie and favorite book, those usually tell you a whole lot about the person!

• well there are SO many different types of zombies/vampires... it would take hours to just get on common ground just to define both before answering who would win... (I am nerd, hear me roar... rawr! )

• Speaking scientifically, neither- the undead are still technically dead and would rot and walk. From a nerdy view, vampires. As in the Stoker and Rice vampires. Those ones are harder to kill, and therefore a zombie (who eats brains) would fail at undead life. But if we are talking the crap vamps (not just Twilight vampire-fairy hybrids) that die easily and don't drink blood, it's the zombies who are gonna win.

• How are you with kids and would you see yourself wanting children in the future (or if they have any children now)? If so, how many? My first thought when dating and with making friends is if they would be good with children. If I can answer that with a flat "no", then we won't talk for much longer.

• so you're dating with marriage always on your mind

• Marriage has nothing to do with it. I said with both making friends and dating. If a person isn't good with kids or says that they don't like kids, I won't date them or be their friend. So that's the first question I ask. I have a kid and I want everyone I surround myself with to be good to her. I don't know how else to explain it. Essentially I ask the question because I want to feel that my daughter is safe around ANYONE who could possibly be in her life.

• "Do you consider yourself a douchebag?"

• A date is the perfect opportunity to find out more about someone, their likes/ dislikes. Hobbies. Music interests etc etc. Also remember too have fun and not make things awkward for each other, avoid awkward silences. just have fun! You can't plan it in advance

• Do you like cats?

lol, but more importantly, I would ask about his dreams/goals for himself, and listen to his stories about his family to see how he gets along with them.

• "What are you looking for in a relationship/What do you want out of one" or "Can I see you again for a second date".

• i would ask if they believe in the supernatural !

• "Are you crazy?"

Trust me, it'll come up again later.

• What makes you happy?

• What is your name? It would be horrible to call them Rick when their real name is Roy

Also, what do you do? Do you get along with your family? Where are you from? That kind of thing helps get you a broader picture of who you are talking to.

• Have you ever killed anyone?

• I will stupidly ask him if he really likes me or just feel lonely... I know it is too honest but I really wanna know lol

• if you could be an animal, what animal would you be. a rabbit is good!

• i'll let you know when/if I have it!

• i have only been on 2 dates cuase dudes can suck. any wways I asked him what he was planning on doing in high school.

• What are your interests in life?

• Wht do you do

whts your dream

your idea about relationsip

family

wher she lives

• what is your biggest dream? ;)

• How do you describe your relationship with your parents and siblings?

• DO YOU JUST WANNNA HIT?

• You like to do MMF?

• Since the first ? has been mentioned, a second I like to ask is "what is one thing you want to do before you die?" or if they are awesome and have more than one answer, then I want to hear some of that bucket list! A lot of conversation can stem from that (how that became a goal etc.) This leading you to learn about some aspect of that person's background without it being that awkward "so tell me about yourself" type of conversation.

• ask em if their feeling cold from below ;) if yes ask if you can rub it ;) always works for me!

What Guys Said 22

• What do you like to do in your free time?

This gives you possible options for future dates, tells you what she does daily, what some of her interests are, and most importantly how her personality is. If she responds with, "I volunteer at the humane society", or "I read books to the elders at my local hospital", I would be able to assume she is a nice, caring, selfless woman. If she responds with "I party and get drunk", or "My friends and I try to get into bars even though were 18", then I know that she is wild and crazy. Based off of her answer I could decide whether or not her personality would fit mine!

• I'd like to try, "What's your favorite color?" and then follow up with, " I find your favorite color can reveal a lot about someone. Mine's blue. What do you think that reveals about me?" Then maybe say what I think hers reveals about her and see if I'm right. If she's uncomfortable or doesn't know, I could offer to say what I think hers means first. It can be either fun and playful or revealing depending on how you present it. It's meant for a closer, intimate setting or a very playful, relaxed environment. But if you understand colors and especially if you have an artistic chick, this can be a great one. Still, since I've never tried it, I'm curious what the women think.

Revealing questions are usually the best, subtly or otherwise. I guess a person like me usually goes off of certain behaviors, styles, and body language rather than taking what someone says at face value. By paying attention to them and the environment, they reveal more than any of their words ever could.

Sometimes favorite colors or animals say a lot about someone. What traits they value, what emotion they use to solve problems, even what they might be like in bed. Little things that subconsciously dictate your life like that say so much, but only use it as a guideline.

• " What would you do for a Klondike bar?"

" Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"

" Show me on the puppet where the puppet touched you."

Seriously though, I read people, and so I would try to find a silly or small question that exposes them a little. But the others have some very useful answers worth using.

• "Do you swallow?"

• You said what every guy is thinking, at least comically, when they saw this question.

• The most important question is "Did you ever think about having a threesome?"

I guess you know what to expect from the relationship when you get the answer.

I'm just kidding, 'cause the best answer is already given:"What do you like to do in your free time?"

Kudos.

• well for ME..my number one..more disgusting turnoff is a slutty party girl..

so I ask a lot of questions casually..like "do you go clubbing alot?"..."i bet you like to drink alot"..."do you party alot"?...most girls will say no cus its obviously not a good trait..so I ask them casually..

its such a big turnoff..cus this is a pretty direct sign that a girl is a slut..and I have no time for sluts..eeww...drinking,partying 24/7..gonig to bras,parties..ees..no thanks..

• What day is your anniversary?" is an essential one I omitted too often :-$

"What do you like to do?" comes automatically.

• The most important thing to know is, does she like the expensive car you see during the date? Her answer tells you right away if she is really shallow or not.

• not true, any normal person is going to like the appearance of a nice car. It doesn't mean we expect a guy to have a $100,000 car. It just means we find the car appealing.

• Ah, normal=shallow, that's most US women. The first thing you need to know is if she's a 'normal' US woman...

• MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: "Who's paying for dinner?"

• I would ask what is she looking for, a relationship, friends, or someone to hang out with etc.

• Nothing to serious. Just staying on topic, or asking opinions on things, mostly controversial things, but never anything serious. Serious stuff later on after a few months,or if she brings it up, but I'll never bring up serious stuff on the first date.

• Um, just exactly what is that rash...?

• "You agree that your husband can never find out about us, right?"

• Greymane or Battle-born?

• Are those real?

• what came first the chicken or the egg?

• When are you due?

• why are you still single?

• "Will you marry me?"

• You didn't get a sex-change did you?

• I've always liked,

What do you do for a living? Okay, now what do you enjoy doing?

• I get the profoundness of this question. Seems like a good way to playfully trip someone up.

• Are you married?

No?

How about going through a "seperation"?