Do you ever actually take your own advice?

So you always give advice to your friends etc, but if you were in that situation how often would you actually take your own advice? From an objective point of view, I can see exactly what I think someone should do, but when it comes to my own personal life, I always choose the wrong option or doing nothing.

So would you actually follow the advice you would hypothetically give to the situation you are in, if the person asking wasn't you?

• I always take my own advice. If it works for a hypothetical scenario, it should work for me.
  • Sometimes, but only on trivial things
  • Sometimes, but I need an outsider's point of view as well
  • No, never. I'm terrible at taking my own advice (no matter how good it is in theory)

Most Helpful Guy

• What's the phrases?

"Easier said then done."

"Do you talk the talk? Or walk the walk?"

Giving advice is easy. Going through with it is many many times harder, depending on the circumstances.

Good question, a great example of hypocrisy frequently occurring around us!

What Guys Said 7

• I can give great advice, but when it comes to my own. I need someone else point of view before I'm comfortable with my own. That 2nd person opinion (I sometimes, get 4 because I like a lot of opinions before I move on and do something), really helps calm me down because I'm just very paranoid about things to myself because I don't always get that big picture.

• For the most part I try too, but sometimes, even though I know it's stupid for me to not do something I would advise doing, I just can't help it cause of habit and how many personality is. It's not bad for others, usually just bad for me (like not being open about how I feel about someone or something).

• I don't think about this often or at all, but I guess I would. I wouldn't give advice that is opposite of what I'd do.

• I can give great advice. I just can't do what I know what I need to do! I hate myself for it

• Why talk the talk, if you can't walk the walk?

• Of course.

What Girls Said 13

• I follow my advice on almost everything... EXCEPT relationships.. which is so stupid, because I do give really good relationship advice..

You see.. doing the right thing ALWAYS hurts for me because I care too much about the other person in the relationships that I have (when they don't give a crap about me), so I tend to cave in and choose wrong.. because I'm an idiot who loves whole-heartedly. I'm going to stop this though, become more like a bitch (which will make it easier for me to not care) and then I can take my own advice and drop the jerks in the gutters where they belong. :) No more Ms. Extra-Nice-Sweet-Caring-and-Loving Gal. "You mess with the bull, you get the horns" lol

My advice to myself right now about relationships-- to quit worrying about people who hurt me and to put myself first, instead of them.

Will I listen this time (cuz I've said it many times before and now followed through)?

HECK YES! I'm tired of getting hurt by selfish idiots.

On everything else.. I have crazy good gut instincts when it comes to school/career/etc.. so I never usually have a problem with doing the right thing there.

• Alice from Alice in Wonderland says, "I give myself wonderful advice, I just seldom follow it." That's how I feel about myself. I give myself great advice, but I don't listen when I should, because good advice isn't always the most fun to follow.

• Yeah. I was going through a rough break up and learned from it. At first, I didn't listen to my advice. Then I read about similar situations and gave the advice I should've and then started following myself.

The thing is, sometimes we know what is right, but it's tough to do. If we think with our hearts more than our heads, we can get more hurt. I'm trying to think more with my head. lol

• I do - I don't know any other way not too honestly lol.

If I have a problem - I should take care of it head on - so I do. I don't see the logic in sitting by to let the situation get worse or continue to cause irritance for me.

Girls should initiate / engage the guys they like - I do - it makes no sense to sit around and see what happens - the factors are in your hand so make it happen lol.

I guess this would all boil down to a more aggressive and impatient nature :P

I like things to be done as soon as possible and in good quality - on top of not being patient enough to just let time work the kinks out and what not.

I actually get more frustrated waiting then I do figuring out what to do about each situation :P

• my advice comes from personal experience majority of the time, so I've probably already done it. Also I'm very indecisive and need multiple opinions before deciding on anything so I get multiple pov's and ask about others experiences :0

• I know I should but I just feel like I always do the wrong thing. But when it comes to other people's problems I can solve them like its nothing! So I usually ask a friend's advice but I don't always take it if I think my plan is better.

• advise is a third party neutral opinion..which is based on common sense and practicality.

but when you are in real life situation your mind is not all neutral and most of the times your brain shuts down when it comes to love. so its difficult to follow your own advise. I try to do it... sometimes I succeed...sometimes I fail

• I try and follow my own advice, I don't like coming off as a hypocrite especially if I am so adament about what I am saying.

• Hahahahahaa I have asked this question several times! Hahahaha well the truth is that I give very good advices! Hahaha ( or that is what my friends sayd hahaha but the truth is that I never use them! Even though I do try ;)

• I'm usually good at giving advice. But it is hard to follow my own because of doubts...

• my advise is based on what I would do... in whatever situation I may be in, my best advice is what I have done, or should have done in the past.

• I'm the sort who has my own view on the situation. However, I will seek out others' opinions as well. People I can trust, mature people who have given me good advice previously, people who have been in similar situations.

i combine all of that, look at the situation again and then make a final decision.

and usually, the final decision would my own personal view I had since the beginning. :D but I love hearing others' opinions and perspectives too :)

• I voted C, I normally follow my own advice and I have been OK for now :P