Leave the past in the past?

I've been with my boyfriend for about a year. I haven't really talked to either of my parents about him too much, and today, my mother was inquiring about the relationship. There is a bit of an age gap, I'm 21, and he's 30 (please don't bash on the age gap, as that is not the purpose of this question), my mother said, "He's 30, he must have some kind of past."

My boyfriend and I haven't discussed his past too much, we've talked about the important things, ie: ever married, children, STI/STDs, etc... but not really too much. I'm not sure if I should ask him about his past (in reference to choices he made in his 20's or late teens), or if it's something that doesn't matter, and I'm just looking for trouble. I don't think there is much there (that is of extreme importance, but I don't know).

He's obviously older than me, and has more life experience, etc.. but I'm not sure if I should go digging around in past life choices, or leave it be. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

What Guys Said 1

• Your mom is looking for something to break you guys up

What Girls Said 1

• Well it's never good to dwell on the past. He is older now so whoever he was in the past he's probably not that guy anymore. I think you should ask him about anything if there is something specific you have in mind that you want to know. But either way the longer you are with him the more you will find out about him!