Guys, how do you really feel about paying for dates?

Personally, I think it is unfair to expect the guy to pay for all the dates and buy flowers and gifts for girls and shower them with money just because they have a penis. It's a sexist tradition for both genders- it dates back to when girls couldn't have jobs and had to be paid for and its obviously unfair to guys because they have to spend so much money even though today we are supposed to have reached gender equality. I think it's fine for a guy to pay for the first date, but after that they should at least split the bill, or trade off paying for dates, that's only fair really! So guys, how do you feel about this? (and girls too if you want)

• I am a guy and I hate paying for dates, refuse to do it
  • I am a guy and I dislike paying for dates but if the girl makes no effort to pay I'll do it
  • I'm a guy and I always insist on paying no matter what
  • I'm a girl and I think guys should pay for dates
  • I'm a girl and I think the bill should be split
Meant to put this in the dating section... Awk, sorry moderators!

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you.

I'd feel pretty bad if I made the guy pay every time. I don't care about all this.. "he asked you out.. so he should front the bill" sh*t. Even on a first date I'd rather we just split it.. it's only fair and besides I can pay for myself. (:

It would be ridiculous to assume the guys going to pay for everything.. dating someone shouldn't make you broke.

What Guys Said 10

• Option F:

Im a guy and I don;t really care either way. If it is just casual, then you can split. If I am in the mood then I will pay for her aswell.

If there is a occasion (like her birthday, than I will definitely pay for her)

I don't mind paying for her, and I will insist once to pay. If she insists again, then I would let her pay

• oh, and by the way, it is just nice to buy things for her! I don't mind doing that, I do mind buying her EVERYTHING that she wants, you know? there is a difference

• I don't mind paying, but I dislike the expectation. I'll pay for both if I feel like it, not because I "should." Any social norm based on gender doesn't make any sense to me.

My girlfriend and I usually split the bill or take turns buying the whole date OR just hand the buyer some money when it's time to pay, haha. It's probably pretty even but it's no big deal if it isn't. We take turns buying each other gifts, too (I did Christmas, she did Valentine's Day).

• It's pretty jacked up that we have to pay, but the situation being what it is I just go ahead and insist. Women are expensive, that's all there is to it.

• not all of us, I hate it when guys pay. every guy iv dated we hav split it

• Kind of black and white answers. I insist on paying on the first date, especially if I asked her out. Second date I can split.

• The only times I'd be OK with it was if the woman wasn't a feminist or a fair weather feminist. Otherwise the bill should be split in my opinion.

• i pay on the first date because it's usually me who has asked the girl out. after that though I usually spilt the bill between us, with the exceptions of special occasions (birthdays, valentines, anniversaries etc)

• I really dislike being expected to pay for dates, but I don't mind paying.

• I did not vote in your poll...as one of GAG's older users...While I don't insist on paying for dates, I am used to it and do not mind...each sex has its pros & cons...I mean the sky might look cool as green instead of blue...but blue is not bad at all...(:

• I'd laugh if a girl went on a date with the expectation that I'll pay for her. She has to earn my respect and trust. Therefore, we pay for our own meals, I'm not daddy she has her own money. I've went on a date before and the girl didn't even bring her wallet, needless to say I didn't waste my time ever talking to her again. Shame so many girls are still stuck with a princess complex I this day and age. You wanted equality, you got it.

Id have no problem paying once in a while in a relationship because I know she'll recriprocate and I'd do it because I care for her and everyone deserves a treat or special night once in a while.

• Did you ask that girl out, the one who didn't bring her wallet? What do you do for her to respect you? Calling her a princess? Not respecting her until she "earns" it...why date her if you don't respect her? The way you talk about women, it sounds like you have a total disdain for them. Pity. You'll probably miss out on someone very special because of it.

• -Yes. -I approached her, connected, asked for her number, set up a date, set up a place, picked her up, was courteous and nice to her ( I made sure to open doors and such).

All the while she used me for a free meal. Are you really implying for women not to pay for their own food and let men pick up the full tab just because one has a penis?

• I think the person who asked the other out should pay. It seems more courteous that way. It just works out that guys pay because most girls refuse to ask a guy out. However, I think it would be nice for the girl to offer to pay, so either the guy can accept or refuse that. It'd be cool if the person setting up the date alternated. I also think a girl that keeps insisting that she pays on the first date isn't interested in having a second one.

What Girls Said 9

• I like splitting the bill :) I genuinely prefer it over having it being paid for me. That being said, I appreciate when he does pay. Last night was our one year anniversary, so we went out to eat and we split the bill :) but then we saw a bubble tea store open and he offered (more like insisted) he pay lol.

my boyfriend and I agreed to celebrate Valentine's and our anniversary at the same time because I only get paid on Fridays and so I wouldn't have been able to get him anything, but he suddenly decided to buy me things on Tuesday >> I loved the flowers and chocolate, but I dislike that I couldn't return the gesture at the same time.

• Well for the first date the guy usually ends up paying for whatever reason but for dates after that (or if you end up in a relationship), then I have no problem splitting the bill.

• I usually always pay for the dates and I don't go out unless I have money for two. idky non of them are successful at getting what I want

• I would actually feel bad if the guy paid for the entire date. I would truly prefer to split the bill. I'm just the type of person who hates to take advantage of others. I feel so guilty inside even if they did insist!

• I picked "e" but its nice when a guy pays.

• well... I won't say no to paying the bill on our first date..but there won't be a second date..

not because I think women should not pay..but I like the man to ""take me out""" on first dates.. I will insist on splitting the bill after a few dates

• unless it's your first date or birthday, I think the bill should be split evenly. I want to show my significant other that I don't mind paying for the date as well as long as I'm not expected to pay for the entire thing.

• Guys need to pay for the date. That's just how it goes. It's called being a gentleman

• My boyfriend and I split the bill. I think it's only fair. I have a job too, and I feel weird letting him pay for it. so we just split 50 50. we both treat each other out sometimes, nothing wrong with that right? but I think it is a two way street. I do love getting flowers, but in return I get him gifts as well. we give as much as we receive and that's how a relationship should work. I can't stand those girls who make their guys pay for everything..