Why is it looked down up for a man over 30 to be living at home with mom?

if she is not sick or in need of care why do so many look at a man staying with his mom with no desire to live on his own seem so bad? if you were a woman with her own place and over 30 would you date a man living with his mom?

Most Helpful Guy

• Where I lived in the cheapest place (studio) in the worst part of town it was $1000 a month. Water bill was about $30 a month. Electric was about $50 (higher in summer). High speed internet was $40 a month. Cell phone was like $40 a month. Food was $50 a week. Car insurance was like $150 a month. Fuel was like $40 a week. Then you add in car payment, clothing, college tuition, books & supplies, maintenance to car, health insurance, basic entertainment, etc. one starts to ask themselves how am I going to manage to continue and make ends meet when I return to school to better myself? My family had 2 empty bedrooms collecting dust. That's why I returned home, to go to school in a bad economy. I take care of all the rest of my expenses myself. They just let me sleep in one of the vacant bedrooms, and take care of things like the water/electric. So judge me if you like, I'm improving my self, investing in my education, and advancing my career. They stay out of my business and we have a good relationship. I'm happy I made the decision I did. It was the only way to get ahead and it didn't impact my family in any real way. As a matter of fact, having a young guy around to help do things they find it hard to manage anymore seems to be helping them out quite a bit. Once I'm done with school and get going with my new career I plan to leave again. I don't see the big deal, but people are judgmental. What are you going to do.

What Guys Said 3

• 'Dude comes across as having no ambitions or goals. I know some circumstances require a person to rely on someone, but choosing to stay with your mom when your in your 30s? Not cool. Sounds like a guy that will use you, too.

• Depends on if it's temporary or chosen. Jobless could mean it's the only option. Otherwise, weird.

• surprised a woman is asking this, be glad you are a woman since there is no stigma attached to you for living at home past a certain age

What Girls Said 4

• it shows that he has no drive or initiative. a 30 year old boy and not a man. there are 18 year olds who had the courage to go out and make it on their own so why is this guy still at home for so long? he's an adult. doesn't he want his space? I know his parents are probably getting tired of him lol

No I wouldn't date him

• I wouldn't date a dude that still lives at home with his mother because we aren't in the same boat.
    Plain & simple.
    If a guy lives at home with his mother in his 30s, it shows he has no plans at all.
    I on the other hand, have plans.

• I would not date a man who still lives with his mom, seems like he can't do anything for himself.

• Probably not unless it was a rare circumstance like he had a medical condition or he lost his job due to the economy. By the age of 30, I think you should have elevated enough as an adult to where you can support yourself to an extent, even if you have to have a roommate. If the guy is living at home, usually it's because he lacks ambition and that's a turn off. Especially at 30 when I'm looking for a husand or a serious relationship