What is a good wait time to respond without sounding desperate?

I have an odd question.

I don't know why but when that special guy text or emails me I always tend to wait to reply back. I guess in my upbringing I was taught to leave them hanging. But I feel like that is wrong. I don't want to seem desperate but I don't want to seem disinterested either.

Do you consider a lengthy time to reply to any correspondence a "disinterested" indicator. What is the best thing to do. Reply and if you're busy, just say you're busy?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is way too overanalyzed, but I understand since it seems the "waiting to not seem too interested" is necessary for texting nowadays.

If she's not busy, probably more than a couple hours would make it seem like she's not interested, especially if I'm just hey what's up or something. And yes, if you're busy, say you're busy.

What Guys Said 1

• Reply and if you are busy, just say your busy. Of course don't jump at the phone whenever it vibrates and take your time texting your response just like you would anyone else. What shows your interested is the words you use and how you act around him.

What Girls Said 2

• I did the same thing, but what matters more than texting is how you interact in person and how often. If your relationship is mostly over text and he never calls AND you rarely see him, hmm I would be suspicious about his level of interest.

• I have the same problem, a guy I like and I have been texting a lot over the past couple of weeks. But some days he msges me saying hey, how are ya? I message him a few min later then I don't get texted back until hours later or the next day. I don't know if I should be doing the same and just ignore his texts for a long time or not