Online love...What do you think?

Your thoughts on the subject.

Have you ever fallen in love online?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dipped my toe in that river once and got carried away by the current. I wouldn't call it love though, it's simply an infatuation. And an unrealistic case of one too, since you idealize your crush and fill in all the gaps with your imagination. That makes it seem as if the person is perfect. Not to mention - and I can't stress this enough - disinhibition, since you're not in person it makes you feel way more comfortable. Which makes you share more than you would to people in person. That gives you the false impression of an intimate connection.

I'm never going down that path again, my experience spanned across 8-months and it tore me up when I realized it had to stop, but made me /so/ much stronger too. I would never allow any girl I talk to on here or elsewhere to become more than a friend. With the exception of it actually having a chance (being able to be with each other in person).

I guess it could work if you ended meeting up very soon, and actually spent time in person. I'm happy for people who had ended up together. Because the Internet is much larger than your immediate area, so the chance of running into someone amazing is good.

• Thank you so much for this, JonnyBG. I'm currently way down that road of finally letting go, and your words definitely reached the peak of it. It feels like a lump in my throat is finally removed. I've been waiting to breathe like this. It was last Nov when I called it quits and realized I'm just infatuated. Everything you said filled in the gaps that I'm still missing out, so I can totally move on. Everything really makes sense to me now, I knew I did the right thing. Thank you, really. :)

• That's great to hear, it's a big learning point to realize such a thing. Moving on took me a good while, so best of luck to you!

What Guys Said 13

• its happened before.

Love doesn't have a limit or bound by any form of law of physics, or anything.

Love is developed when two people appreciate each other and care deeply about each other.

• Oh for sure! I often advise my crushes here on GAG to improve their own love lives. Little do they know, I often have feelings for some of them. Because of distance and the impracticality of dating tons of girls, most of them will never know. That being said, there are some truly lovely girls on here.

You get to see girls open up much more on GAG than on a traditional dating site where every girl "love their friends, movies, music, etc" where you get a filtered version of who she is. The openness of GAG makes it really interesting to have crushes on the girl who is willing to share a bit more and wants to learn more about men too, hence why I find this site so interesting.

• I learned a long time ago that it's very easy to fall in love online but it's all a cruel trick your mind plays on you.

In actuality, we don't know nearly enough about the person on the other side to really fall in love with him/her. All we have is an idea. With that idea, our mind builds on it like a 5 year old stacking legos. Every angle and detail can be just as you imagined it! But that's not reality, and it will only set you up for disappointment.

• In my experience people tend to lie quite a lot and hide the unattractive bits about their life, their personality, their looks when they are online. I really can't see myself falling in love with someone online. I have had several negative experiences with it. I also know many women that have fallen in love with this guy over Skype and even decide to pack up their whole life and move to where he is just to find out that it was nothing and just leave a couple weeks later.

• What do I think? Several people have benefited from it, others have unfortunately suffered from it.

I wouldn't ever date online.

• no never been in online love...there are many disadvantages of online dating...

It can be difficult to really get to know if you are attracted to a person over the computer. Our level of attraction is based on many qualities, some of which simply cannot be relayed through textual communication and still photos. Facial expressions, quirky behaviorism, head-to-toe appearance, personal hygiene and many other factors may come into play.

but if you meet that specific guy in person then there's nothing bad in online dating

• Close but no cigar - call it temporary infatuation

• If it can transform into something real after a while, why not? (Provided the real contact doesn't turn out to be complete disappointment).

But I don't think it's possible to fall in love with someone you never met.

• Perhaps you can't fall in love with someone you never met. But you can fall in love with the way they express themselves, the way they change the subject and excuse themselves for confusing you, their views on life, the world and war, their humour. It's like falling in love with a character from a book. But you have no idea how much those little bits add up.

• Doesn't happen.

Lust, desperation for something, etc... sure.

But love...even with contact that takes time.

• It's very much possible and JonnyBG explained it very well.

I've done it once never gonna do it again...

• I've done it several times, I've learned my lesson though.

• Love, no... but I'm open minded. I did talk to this one fascinating girl daily for hours on end, had intimate conversations, and she use to play me songs. It's too bad really, she is rather charming.

• I'm actually in one right now.

It doesn't matter how you meet, sometimes you can't help it

What Girls Said 8

• I did. I thought I did. Actually, it was quite frankly a confusing and trying relationship. I had an online boyfriend, who became my phone boyfriend, for 4 years. Out of those 4 years, we probably met up face to face 3 or 4 times, about 5 days in duration - this being because he was across the nation. We didn't even meet until our second year of dating.

The problem was whenever we met, I felt like he was a different person. Not necessarily in personality or anything. It was that I had, as JonnyBG put it, filled in gaps with my imagination during the times we did not meet. Basically, because I idealized my boyfriend to be some grand and perfect figure, I felt threatened by any of his flaws. However, I felt I had strong feelings for him; I poured my heart and soul into this voice I spoke to over the phone everyday and every night. My online boyfriend was some form of mixture of him, my dream man, and my conscience. Ironically, I thought I was a firm believer that actions speak louder than words. I allowed the words to speak louder, though. Naturally, it was easy to make excuses for anything and everything. So of course when he left me for a local girl, I was devastated. In the end, any concept of trust was shattered.

I haven't dated online since, and I doubt I would go that route again.

• Me- no.

My friend is actually engaged to a guy she met online and has never been happier. I think they talked online for two years before actually meeting or something. They are the perfect couple.

• Yes. Love does not abide solely in the physical world, nor does it choose where it is found..

• I believe it's possible, but haven't really tried it myself yet. Have been considering it for a while.

Love doesn't necessarily require two people to physically meet to blossom.

I'm going to sound like your mum, but do be careful online. Especially when "dating". That you are truthful doesn't mean the other also is. And always set the first meeting in a public place!

• Its ok,as long as you have trust to each other,:) I've seen lots of couple meet online and lived happy with their children.

trust and loyalty,honesty,etc. must be there in terms of long distance relationship.

• Crushing? Yes.

Love? No.

• Yes and it is possible

• I tend to fall for a person very easy, I must say I have fallen for one guy and have had a few interests online, but I've learned from it, some were bad, and some weren't.

Something to say about this is, that I've also learned something about myself.

But just be aware of the fact that the possibility of actually meeting isn't very likely, depending on distance etc.. Just always be careful.