Girls: would you rather date a lawyer or a doctor?

Lawyers tend to be more intelligent + earn more money whereas doctors tend to be less arrogant + have a better reputation. Who would you rather date?

don't get me wrong, it's not my intention to ridicule doctors. they got a stressful and important job, but that doesn't change the fact it's a simple routine job. operating on sb. doesn't require intelligence (especially if they do the same surgery over and over again). it requires medical knowledge = doesn't equal intelligence.

lawyers consistently use arguments, both verbally and in writing. arguments require logic to be clear and acceptable to a judge and jury.
even average intelligent people can become doctors (if they aren't lazy) whereas average intelligent people are unable to become lawyers. as a doctor there is no requirement to be able to think critically to be able to perform your job well.

medicine (all memorization) = harder in terms of volume of work. law (logic and reasoning) = harder conceptually.

anyways, thanks for your answers.

Most Helpful Girl

• i just saw your comments below and though I admit that you have a point, what you are doing is overgeneralizing. that makes your argument invalid.

the amount a person earns vary from every situation and from every location and culture. True, both of these positions are prestigious jobs and are highly esteemed by people. When they hear you're a doctor or a lawyer, they look up to you.

But having this job does not necessarily mean you will have a huge income. It depends on what path you will take in your profession. For instance, a doctor may choose to work in rural areas to help those that do not have adequate access to proper health care instead of working for private, high-paying hospitals. Similarly, lawyers may choose to be people's lawyer's and serve for free (say, defending human rights victims who do not have the funds to get a lawyer), instead of serving for corporations (where the huge money is at). You should know that both fields of study have several specializations, and that is major factor as well.

Do not overgeneralize. Life isn't always black and white.

So to answer your question, it wouldn't really matter much to me. I would date a doctor, a lawyer, an artist, a musician, a teacher..basically anything. I'd learn new things from them either way, and I am very open to different kinds of people.

You seem bent on defending the law profession already. Do you intend to be a lawyer too in the future? :)

• Very true, but usually the earnings to cost of living even out. A rural doctor/lawyer might make 80K a year, while one of the same skill/experience might make 150K in NYC or LA. But the cost of living in those places is much higher as well, like housing and groceries and entertainment and stuff. I think it usually evens out in the long run, unless you move from one area to another.

What Girls Said 12

• as a future JD student and lawyer, I know plenty of lawyers who aren't arrogant. I know attorneys for the DOJ, EPA, and private lawyers, too-- including a few of the lawyers on the bush v. gore case (most of these people I meet are professors or I met through internships/symposiums).

i know maybe one or two practicing doctors, they're nice people, too.

i can't say I care to put one above the other, tbh. ideally, I'd like to date a professor, teacher, maybe a journalist or a writer :) whatever they're passionate about, I'd like!

• I like to think that your job does not define your intelligence, so I won't answer using the criteria you gave ^^ It's not about how much does he earns anyway :) I'll answer though, basing myself upon the job only (that means not taking into account the personality of the guy).

Now, I think I would rather date a doctor, since I am in the biology field as well. We could talk about a mutual interest, and that's always a good thing.

I'm not a huge fan of lawyers in general, and I wouldn't enjoy talking about laws in our dates, while I could spend hours talking about biology, illnesses and such.

My choice goes for the doctor, as long as we go along of course ;)

What about you ? Lawyer or doctor ?

• Do you think a maid is more intelligent than a professor? I'd date a massage therapist ;)

• If I have to explain further, it'll take some time ;) I'll try to be clear !

Simply because someone is a maid, it doesn't mean he/she is dumb, or unable to understand a conversation. I know a important researcher: he is brilliant, in a scientific way. He understands maths and physics way better than many people I know. But somehow, he can maintain social links. In terms of relationships, he's boderline autistic. He would be scholarly intelligent, but socially dumb. I hope that makes sense :)

• *somehow he CAN'T maintain social links*

Dating a massage therapist sure has it's advantages, good point ;) My sister is a massage therapist, but she doesn't want to give massages to her family : too bad ^^

• I dated a lot of lawyers but married a neurologist who after we married became a neurointerventional surgeon. Honestly, I find doctors sexier than lawyers and that's what keeps a marriage alive ultimately, sex. He gets letters from patients that make me melt with adoration, then I'm jumping his bones again. Obviously, he's talented and kind. Not all doctors are. Also, being a doctor is universal. Being a lawyer is not. Lawyers make great boyfriends, but the constant need to argue and be right can kind of kill the romance over time. The way to tell if a lawyer is a good egg is to watch very closely how he/she treats the people who work for them and waiters and waitresses at restaurants.

I laughed after reading your analysis about the abilities of - God bless 'em - the "average intelligent."

It depends greatly on what specialty a doctor chooses as to what kinds of skills he/she is going to need. First, you must be good in math and possess above average critical thinking skills because med school is meant to break you; it quickly weeds out average intelligence. When people don't make it in med school, they usually become physician's assistants or go to law school; this is statistically proven. "Average intelligence" is an improper term for contrasting the difference between the two professions.

Being a lawyer is less of an investment than med school, then residency, then fellowships. There are plenty of lawyers who could've been docs but didn't want to invest the time. Others just didn't have the knack for it (i.e., math skills), but were talented with the written word.

The downside about being married to a doctor is that if he's successful he works a lot. If you're the type of girl who needs her space two times per week (like me), it works. You need to be independent and have your own interests or it might not work, but that's with any relationship.

• I'd rather date the person not the profession! Lol every lawyer has a different personality as each doctor has his or her our as well. I personally have a brother who's a lawyer and a soon to be sister in law who's a doctor. They are both great ! there profession doesn't describe who they are though.

• Where did you get that load of crap? lmao

• Facts aren't crap. Doctors have a good reputation = fact. Lawyers earn more money = fact. Lawyers TEND to be more intelligent/more arrogant = fact.

• LOL! since you're unable to compete with me (no arguments)/unable to prove me wrong, you feel the need to talk sh*t. people laugh at people because they feel the need to put them down (they hate the fact they can't compete with them). operating on sb. doesn't require intelligence (especially if they do the same surgery over and over again). it requires medical knowledge = doesn't equal intelligence. lawyers consistently use arguments, verbally and in writing. arguments require logic/intelligence

• BS. Most lawyers memorize laws & torts, etc. then, choose a speciaty. Most do not argue a thing in court. They write up disputes, & settle things in a small, little room or hallway outside of the courtroom. No arguments & barely any d/c takes place. In fact, no leagalezz takes place. "he wants this, Ok, I want that. sounds good to me." I see it everyday. You, little boy, do not know the meaning of "able to compete" b/c...you rely on put downs, & ignorance. Plus, you just don't like being wrong

• What a bunch of baloney. xD

I rather date a teacher. ^_^

• Now, that's totally different.

I don't care how much they have to memorize.. As long as the guy know the anniversary and my birthday date. I could careless for his profession..

• "can you show me the statistics to prove the sky is blue? "

-seriously? *facepalm*

• A guy with a job, and who knows how to be financially independent and not selfish or conceded about it. Good enough for me.

• i hope you aren't going to choose a profession based on this question...

and I'd rather date the architect

• the architect builds the targets, the enineer designs the guns

• Oh really we shouldn't change our profession based on what slip wants?

...*switches major to architecture* :p

• neither cause anyone can be a cheat, a loser or a liar despite their job type

• i'm going to law school next year and I intern in the field and I have a major thing for lawyers. but not all lawyers are arrogant or rich. some actually don't make that much money..i mean, most of them make a very comfortable salary but I would say more of them make an upper middle class salary, not millions the way people think.

i would rather date a lawyer but I'd be fine with doctor too. I just think lawyer and I would have more in common and get along better

• I disagree with your update not all lawyers are that bright.

• I don't know where you're getting this information lol, but I could care less whether the guy I'm dating is a lawyer or doctor or whatever, as long as he's passionate about what he does.

• "This information" = fact. Doctors have a good reputation = fact. Lawyers earn more money = fact. Lawyers TEND to be more intelligent/more arrogant = fact.

• Hahaha none of those a facts. I know doctors that make a LOT more than lawyers. Not all doctors have a good reputation...in fact, it's easy for doctors to have bad reputations. Furthermore, intelligence is completely relative...your choice of career has little to do with your IQ and overall personal intelligence. How arrogant one is is also relative and is dependent upon your personal self esteem.

• medicine (all memorization) = harder in terms of volume of work. law (logic and reasoning) = harder conceptually. even average intelligent people can become doctors (if they aren't lazy) whereas average intelligent people are unable to become lawyers. as a doctor there is no requirement to be able to think critically to be able to perform your job well.

a lawyer who is a partner at a larger firm can make millions a year. even the best doctors simply can't compete with them.

• I'll actually answer the question for what it is. I'd rather date a lawyer because they aren't on call all the time and they could come in handy if there is legal trouble down the road.

What Guys Said 4

• Guys guys guys... seriously...

Doctors= memorization. Ok? That's all I gotta say to prove my point!

They actually make more? HELL NO! MEMORIZATION! SKY ISNT BLUE!

• LOL nice try. I like the fact you are unable to refute my arguments.

• Don't worry douchey, when you pass the BAR and become a scumbag lawyer I'm sure you can bribe all your toothless street-walker clients to pay you in blowjobs.

• MONEY MATTERS!

• Youre you kidding me? Lawyers more intelligent? Have you seen or heard a doctor talk? Just because doctors learn to act casual to put patients at ease doesn't make them insanely intelligent. my friends dad is a doctor who diagnoses people xrays and scans and stuff and can sometimes do his work from home where he has to record his report and send it to the hospital, and I swear its like he is speaking a different language, the ease that he dives into immense technicalities of everything on a human body is crazy. Whenever you ask him a question about anything in science he knows the answer or can at least tell you what/who does off the top of his head.

Lawyers are just good at reading heavy documents.

Also Doctors make:

Family Physician: 174,000/year

Surgeon: 304,000/year

Radiologist: 406,000/ year

Lawyers make:

Attorney 1: 88,000

Attorney 3 (senior): 144,000

Top Patent Attorney (gotta have 15+yrs exp): 207,000

All data received from salary.com

Kindly STFU.

• LOL STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF.

medicine (all memorization) = harder in terms of volume of work. maths/law (logic and reasoning) = harder conceptually. as a doctor there is no requirement to be able to think critically to be able to perform your job well.

companies need lawyers. companies can pay millions. people need doctors, people can not pay millions. a lawyer who is a partner at a larger firm can make millions a year. even the best doctors simply can't compete with them.

• don't get me wrong, it's not my intention to ridicule doctors. I respect them. they got a stressful and important job, but that doesn't change the fact it's a simple routine job. operating on sb. doesn't require intelligence (especially if they do the same surgery over and over again). it requires medical knowledge = doesn't equal intelligence.

• okay im a doctor and simply i can tell you ,,,
      Medicine isn't Memorization at all !!!
      Done