How come so many girls respond with "Maybe?"

A lot of times I ask a girl out that I know likes me for sure or ask them for their number and about 90 percent of the time they smile and look happy that I asked them out or for their number, but they say well maybe! I mean wtf? It's not like I am asking to marry them why can't they either say yes or no. How do they expect a guy to respond to a maybe? Or turn that maybe into a yes? It kind of makes a situation awkward. After they say maybe do they expect me to beg or do a breakdance spin on my head on do a couple of backflips to make them say yes. I just don't get the whole maybe thing. Is it so they don't look desperate and want to say yes. I don't think that's desperate. I think indecisiveness on their part is unattractive but not intriguing. I think I speak for most men who like a woman who is decisive and can make up her mind and say either yes or no so the guy can move on with his life and getting more maybes from potential suitors. LOL.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you sould be like " What is maybe?" and if their response doesn't add up or is well not making sense then say " Hey I just asked for your number, I'm not gonna ask again, so when you know if you wanna give it to me , come talk to me, enjoy the rest of your day" say it in a calm chill way and not like a jerk. ... Some girls who say maybe for numbers are kind of childish and don't know what they want and I don't think you wanna be with girls like that...for me I am straightforward when I like someone I tell them, I speak my mind and if I don't wanna give someone my number right way I simply say " Lets be friends, I don;t know you so well and I don't feel comfortable just yet to give up my number" or if I don;t wanna give my number I simply just say " Thanks for asking but I am sorry I don't give out my number like that, sorry" and then change the subject so it isn't weird and they don't feel as awkward after. I like people to know where they stand with me I don't beat around the bush

What Girls Said 1

• usually that means they are keeping their options open or they aren't sure if they want to go out with you but you came on stronger than they planned on so they say maybe in a moment of thinking 'oh he just asked me and I haven't decided yet' and sometimes it's just to not to hurt your feelings because girls are taught they're supposed to be 'nice' even if it means that doesn't seem very nice to you to them it's the nice way to say no. Now if they like you then they are trying not to appear too excited so they say maybe or too desperate to say yes right away. if you don't hear from them then there's some uncertainty there about something. It's hard to know not knowing each situation.

• yea this answer as well man... it depends on if your are comng on too strong or how you act while asking... It depends on the girl as well

What Guys Said 2

• Are you asking them out 'sometime' or to something specific?

Ask them to something specific. Be decisive yourself.

• Trust me on this. When you ask a person a yes/no question, "maybe" always means "yes, but I don't want to say it."

• Funny, because "maybe" usually means "no", from my experience.

• Really? Never had that happen. But in that case the way they say maybe should be clearcut enough that they mean no.

• I think that they simply have no clue, hence the "maybe".