Opinion on online dating sites?

I've always felt weird about online dating, but I found out that a few people I know are in happy relationships with great people because of these sites. I kind of had the opinion most guys who do that are just looking for hook up or they are socially weird. It is seeming to be getting more and more of a normal way of dating. What's your opinion on it?

Most Helpful Guy

• The marketing is interesting. Notice how they pitch it as some idealised romantic conception of love, where you will meet your perfect match. They've managed to overcome the prior perception of it being for saddos. So slowly peoples' attitudes are changing.

Don't like the idea of them. Imagine people have unrealistic expectations. Online dating itself I don't have a problem with, if it happens in a more natural manner. I suppose you can get an insight into someone's personality by how they write. And then if you chat on webcam you can see whether you gel, also.

What Guys Said 2

• I have tried on-line dating a few times in the past mainly with negative results. Seventy five percent of the time the woman shows interest after a few e mails and exchanges and then when the inevitable time comes when I suggest we meet up(which is the point to see if there's chemistry) there normally comes up some excuse as to why she is unable to make the date. And I have heard the lamest of the lame excuses.

Makes me wonder are these women serious about dating and meeting guys or are just attention freaks and like guys messaging them on their profiles and having their egos stroked. It seems that is more often the case then not. But getting their egos stroked and not meeting guys will never give them orgasms or the connection that all human beings so desperately need.

• I can recommend OKCupid. The interview questions we answer allows the site to compare two people and calculate percentages for match, friend, and enemy. It's quite sophisticated. The interview questions aren't the usual small talk at all - they are big questions. You can review all of this before you choose to contact a person. And it's free! 5 stars from me.

What Girls Said 1

• I understand people do meet and stay together from those sites, but you do need to have the stomach for it.

Without a doubt many guys on the sites are looking for hookups and they may be more honest about it than they would if you met them in person. Some guys are also likely cheating or trying to cheat. That can be hard to determine, though I would be very suspicious of anyone who won't post their picture and otherwise seems difficult to date. Had a couple of guys who were "Hey I travel for business and I can meet you today because I will be in your town, want to meet for a drink." I have no interest in a long distance relationship and I doubt they did either. I think they were trolling for sex and cheating.

So, if you can weed through the insincere guys who are not looking for a girlfriend, I think dating sites can be good. There are some rules to how to avoid problems, such as meeting in public places, dropping guys who want to start talking about sex when you two don't even know each other, things like that. Good luck!